a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

School Kids With Long Sticks?

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

arancarlisle
Been Around a Bit

School Kids With Long Sticks?

Postby arancarlisle » May 2nd, 2006 6:04 pm

Me and my girlfriend were in Japan last month. One Sunday we were in Tokyo and noticed quite a few people on the subway carrying two long skinny cases. One looked long and skinny like it might contain a flag stick, and the other was about 1/3 the length of the long one, but was quite a bit thicker.

In particular we saw a few school girls in uniform with these cases and were very curious about what they contained.

Anybody know what was in these long skinny cases?

The Frankensteiner
Expert on Something

Postby The Frankensteiner » May 2nd, 2006 6:07 pm

Hmmm...interesting.
Your guess is as good as mine on this one.
Does any one know? Now my curiousity is peaked as well.
Find out what it's like to live, work and play in Japan!
http://guzenmedia.com/

Get 40% OFF
arancarlisle
Been Around a Bit

Postby arancarlisle » May 2nd, 2006 6:20 pm

What really piqued our interest was that we were later in a toy store and saw a box toy line that featured girls in different school uniforms. One of the figures in the line was a girl carrying these same skinny cases.

Our guess is that the long case held a flag pole, and the smaller case held a rolled up flag, and that these girls were on a flag team?

The Frankensteiner
Expert on Something

Postby The Frankensteiner » May 2nd, 2006 6:27 pm

Sounds plausible.
Do they have whole teams devoted to just the art of waving flags in Japan?

Sakura
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Postby Sakura » May 10th, 2006 1:47 am

I think they were carrying Kyudo (the Way of the Bow) equipment: the long stick is the bow and the short case is the arrow case. I sometimes see girls belonging to a Kyudo club at school carrying them on train :P Sorry for the late reply :wink:
JapanesePod101.com
Learn Japanese with FREE Daily Podcasts

http://www.japanesepod101.com
contactus@japanesepod101.com

ianwarney
New in Town

Postby ianwarney » May 10th, 2006 3:51 pm

also sorry for the late reply. and Sakura is right; they were carrying Kyudo equipment. one of my students is in the archery (Kyudo) club at her high school and often comes to my lessons after, still carrying her equipment. one long case for the actual bow (unstrung, of course) and the second case for the glove and any other stuff (like an extra bow string). if you ever have the chaance to watch Japanese Archery in action, i reccomend it. there are a few competitions throughout the year but one of particular note is in Kyoto at Sanjusan-gendo temple in January every year.

arancarlisle
Been Around a Bit

Postby arancarlisle » May 17th, 2006 7:16 pm

Thanks for the answer! That would explain why I also saw an older man carrying around the same type of long skinny cases.

Return to “General Japanese Culture”