a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

QR Codes

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

Charles
Established Presence

QR Codes

Postby Charles » February 24th, 2007 2:16 am

Lately I've been seeing these weird pictures on all sorts of websites that are Japanese. I did a little searching and found out what they are: QR Codes. They were introduced as generic bar codes but more recently they've been used for pretty much any information a person wants to store on their cell phone. They just take a little picture of it and that's it. Pretty cool! I wonder how long it will take for this to be popular outside of Japan.

Airth
Expert on Something

Postby Airth » February 24th, 2007 6:55 am

Right, these things are everywhere. Like a virus. Soon people will be getting them tattooed on their heads; then you'll be able to take a picture of them and get a personal profile at the same time.
Or maybe not.

Get 40% OFF
Charles
Established Presence

Postby Charles » February 25th, 2007 3:39 am

I'd think not. =P

Personal information changes. However, I could see them on ID cards. People already choose to put them on business cards.

Airth
Expert on Something

Postby Airth » February 25th, 2007 12:35 pm

Yeah, I've also seen them on business cards. But, I can't help thinking it will be a short-lived technology; for example, it won't be long before we see the arrival of embedded chips in cards that can wirelessly transmit information. Of course, I'll admit they are quite effective on posters or in magazines. Even so, there is something about QR codes that, while kind of fun, are also kind of cumbersome.

Return to “General Japanese Culture”