Or sign up using Facebook

Question for my fellow learners

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

Todd_P
New in Town

Question for my fellow learners

Postby Todd_P » April 6th, 2016 12:03 am

Everyone,

I've read mixing up your study methods can help keep studying fresh. I was wondering what tools everyone uses to keep studying from feeling like work (particularly with vocabulary). I have a tendency to cycle through these methods: Rosetta stone, Quizlet, Genki, influent (a fun vocab game on steam), and Japanesepod101. I find I respond best to audio, maybe its all that time I spend riding the bus lol. I know from previous experience that lack of motivation + long breaks can lead to poor retention (maybe that is just me). I took two years of French in high school (first two years), and by the time I graduated all I could remember was "je ne sais pas" (Kinda ironic lol). Anyway, point is I'm self learning this time around; not following a structured course were I have to work for that mark. I find studying Japanese really fun! But some days it just feels like work, particularly flash cards! I was wondering if anyone had any tips from keeping things from going stale :D.

Thanks!
Todd

P.S. This is my first form post here, I apologize if I posted to the wrong location!

community.japanese
Expert on Something

Re: Question for my fellow learners

Postby community.japanese » April 14th, 2016 2:00 am

Todd san,
Konnichiwa. :)
Thank you for your post.
You can post anywhere.
Regarding study tips, I think you should use various resources.
In my opinion in order to memorize vocabularies drill practice is necessary.
So you should use flash cards.
If you get bored, you can watch dramas and movies, and listen to Japanese music.
Then you hopefully have interests in Japanese again.
Yuki 由紀
Team JapanesePod101.com

Get 40% OFF
casper1134_512221
New in Town

Postby casper1134_512221 » May 26th, 2016 2:11 pm

Hello Todd san,

I am also new to Japanese Pod 101. I have been using Pimsleur's Japanese now for many years while in the car, commuting back and forth to work. Although I feel Pimsluers methods are great, and really helps with pronunciation and vocabulary, it falls short with memory retention. I find that after the lesson is over I can not recall most phrases. By mixing it up with Japanese Pod 101, I find I get more of a visual stimulus, as well as reading notes, and audio lessons that I am accustomed to. By all means, mix it up. It can never hurt, and anything you do will increase proficiency.

good luck with everything fellow learner.

community.japanese
Expert on Something

Postby community.japanese » June 5th, 2016 11:01 pm

san
Konnichiwa.
Thank you for sharing your study tips.
Yuki  由紀
Team JapanesePod101.com

Return to “JapanesePod101 Listener's Lounge”