a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Heroes

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

metablue
Expert on Something

Heroes

Postby metablue » October 22nd, 2006 5:55 pm

Is anyone watching Heroes on US TV? Can you understand the two Japanese guys yet? I still can't, really, but I catch some words.

A guy I work with says that the guy who plays Hiro used to be a programmer at his old company. He's just like the character he plays. He was really weirded out by it, this guy in the next cube is a nerdy programmer who says he's going to LA to be an actor and he thinks "yeah right", and then the guy turns up on the side of a bus! :shock:

jkid
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Postby jkid » October 23rd, 2006 6:43 am

That is really neat! :)

I don’t usually watch much TV but I am hooked on this series. I can understand some verbs and phrases like yatta (well I guess you could get that from intonation). I was just proud when I could read the clock on his desk! :D I hope he doesn't learn English anytime soon it is perfect Japanese practice :) (See end of Ep4, it must've happened at some point).

Get 40% OFF
seanolan
Expert on Something

Postby seanolan » October 24th, 2006 2:21 am

LOL...my friend and I (we both teach English) laughed at the end. It was the only unbelievable thing about the show! I said to him, "I have no conclusive evidence that a man cannot fly, or see the future, or control time with his thoughts...but I have a lot of evidence that a 24 year old Japanese man cannot learn to speak English without an accent!"

I do love this show...and it has me hooked on the mysteries in the show. And I LOVE the international flavor of the show...of course, being made in America, it will focus on America, but I LOVED that Hiro doesn't speak English and that the big brain tracking the "heroes" (father AND son) are Indian. How very "X-Men" of them (the only comic book with more non-American team members than American). Although I hope that's all they borrow from X-Men...I don't know if I could deal with weekly, "the world hates and fears us" angst.

Sean

metablue
Expert on Something

Postby metablue » October 24th, 2006 4:05 am

That's funny, it's almost exactly what my friend said. Except he said he can believe all those other things but not that his ex-cubemate could ever be cool. Now I hope neither of them ever read this o.O

I noticed the same thing about its diversity (yuck, that word doesn't really work anymore, does it). TV shows are finally starting to do that a little more. Lost with its varied cast, including the Korean couple. Firefly. Battlestar Galactica with its huge number of female characters and reasonably multicolored cast. I didn't realize how much I needed to see that. I grew up relating to male characters because the females were usually so pathetic. Then we started getting a token strong woman or two, and I thought that was wonderful, though looking back it seems so artificial. Now suddenly there are so many strong female characters, all in the same show, all completely different, you forget that they're women and it really does become a story about people. The thing at the very edge of my mind that always made me feel like an outsider while watching these shows, even when I wasn't completely aware of it, is no longer relevant. It's quite amazing.

Solvi
Established Presence

Postby Solvi » November 28th, 2006 3:08 am

My friends and I were hanging out yesterday, and then one of them started talking about this TV show he had been watching before we came visiting, a series with a Japanese guy and something... And suddenly I realized that he had to be talking about the series I had read about in this thread! We watched all 9 episodes in sequence, only with a shopping-for-candy break. I loved it. Now we're sitting around waiting for episode 10...

jkid
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Postby jkid » December 28th, 2006 1:21 pm

All the episodes thus far have been very entertaining. Now it is a break until the 22nd of January. Season 2, here I come! :)

Psy
Expert on Something

Re: Heroes

Postby Psy » January 12th, 2007 12:43 am

「チアリーダーを救え、世界を救え!」 :D Love it, love it, love it!

A guy I work with says that the guy who plays Hiro used to be a programmer at his old company.

Not just any old company-- anyone ever heard of ILM?

annie
Expert on Something

Postby annie » January 12th, 2007 1:02 am

I've never even heard of this show. But I'll have to try and download it when I get home.

"I have no conclusive evidence that a man cannot fly, or see the future, or control time with his thoughts...but I have a lot of evidence that a 24 year old Japanese man cannot learn to speak English without an accent!"

:D
i'd be laughing hysterically, if i wasn't in the office at work, pretending to be doing something productive.

If they're learning English in Japan, yes i definitely agree.
But, after they spend a year or two in the States, they tend to do a lot better pronunciation-wise.

JonB
Expert on Something

I was served by a Japanese girl

Postby JonB » January 12th, 2007 7:51 am

In Sydney - she had such an Australian accent I could have sworn she was born and bred though obviously from Japanese parents. Turns out she had only been there 3 years and a fellow shop worker remarked she was more Australian than them!

Never heard of this series - maybe it will make it to AXN some time in the next decade...

mualexander
New in Town

Definitely the best new TV show this season

Postby mualexander » January 13th, 2007 6:39 am

..in my opinion at least.

I thought it was interesting that the writers give the script to the actor that plays Hiro Nakamura in English and let him translate his part and his friend's part into Japanese. It sounds like he actually alters the content a bit to make it more contemporary (for example, the writers were originally going to have him say "Banzai!" after he teleported to New York, but Masi Oka (the actor) suggested to them that "Yatta!" would be more natural these days..

Definitely worth downloading if you don't get it in your area..

richandcreamy
New in Town

Postby richandcreamy » February 3rd, 2007 2:53 am

Or you can watch episodes at www.nbc.com ! whoo!

laughinghyena21
Established Presence

Postby laughinghyena21 » February 3rd, 2007 7:45 am

Show Rocks!!!!

seanolan
Expert on Something

Postby seanolan » February 3rd, 2007 9:19 am

richandcreamy wrote:Or you can watch episodes at www.nbc.com ! whoo!

I believe you have to have a US IP address to watch them at NBC.com.

Sean

richandcreamy
New in Town

Postby richandcreamy » February 3rd, 2007 11:13 am

boo that's sad. oh well always bit torrents.

I can't wait for the next episode!!!!

laughinghyena21
Established Presence

Postby laughinghyena21 » February 7th, 2007 3:51 pm

Did everyone whos Claire's father?

I was like holy snow balls.

Return to “JapanesePod101 Listener's Lounge”