a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

What is your opinion?

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

jkid
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

What is your opinion?

Postby jkid » September 11th, 2006 9:05 am

Formal study of Japanese at college or informal study through JPOD101 and the like?

Jason

Postby Jason » September 11th, 2006 11:25 pm

If possible, both.
Jason
Manager of Mobile & Mac Applications

Get 40% OFF
Belton
Expert on Something

Postby Belton » September 15th, 2006 9:33 pm

Any kind of formal study will probably be better than self study.

It helps to have to do something regularly, be "forced" to participate in class and do assignments, get guided feedback, all those sorts of things.

The question might then be what sort of study program? Japananese studies as a primary degree or Japanese as a language module in a more general arts type degree? The other questions then being what do you hope to do with your Japanese and what do you hope to get out of college?

And then I agree with Jason. Both. Sites like jPod can do wonders for your classwork. The more exposure you can get the better, especially to listening to dialogues at your level.

seasurfer
Been Around a Bit

Postby seasurfer » September 18th, 2006 2:24 am

Belton wrote:Any kind of formal study will probably be better than self study.

It helps to have to do something regularly, be "forced" to participate in class and do assignments, get guided feedback, all those sorts of things.

The question might then be what sort of study program? Japananese studies as a primary degree or Japanese as a language module in a more general arts type degree? The other questions then being what do you hope to do with your Japanese and what do you hope to get out of college?

And then I agree with Jason. Both. Sites like jPod can do wonders for your classwork. The more exposure you can get the better, especially to listening to dialogues at your level.

I think things like Jpod101 can be better than formal study. I learned so much more in 6 weeks plus by listening to it everyday than 3 months of formal study. This especially apply to my listening skill. Now I have only listened to 51 episodes, I believe I would be so much better if I had finished 123 episodes.

Jason

Postby Jason » September 18th, 2006 2:46 am

seasurfer wrote:I think things like Jpod101 can be better than formal study. I learned so much more in 6 weeks plus by listening to it everyday than 3 months of formal study. This especially apply to my listening skill. Now I have only listened to 51 episodes, I believe I would be so much better if I had finished 123 episodes.

Have you only been studying formally for 3 months? Formal courses normally spend a lot of time pounding essential fundamentals into your head until they become second nature. That kind of thing takes time to start showing fruits of your learning in practical situations. You progress thru different topics much more slowly.

Jpod on the other hand, focuses on the practical situations and leaves the grammar pounding up to you. The result is a faster turn around in practical situations, but it sacrifices some of the depth and acquiring that 2nd nature (unless you do things like grammar pounding yourself, which I'd highly recommend). Of course, there's just no replacement for being together with other people practicing and learning. Video and audio chat can come close, but it's still not the same.

I think it bear repeating that formal-style and jpod-styles of learning are wonderful compliments to each other. They can only focus on one or a few important aspect of the language at a time.. Any type of class can only teach you so much. So either way it's up to you to take the extra step and fill in the rest yourself.
Jason

jkid

Postby jkid » October 19th, 2006 10:16 am

Are students of Japanese at college expected (generally) to have any experience with the language or is it taught for 一、二、三? I am not very good with my Japanese but I have a strong interest in taking it further I just don’t want to be in to deep.

Belton
Expert on Something

Postby Belton » October 19th, 2006 11:10 am

Japkid-san,

It might depend on the college. Just check out the requirements of places you're interested in.

I know where I work the Japanese language modules offered to all students start from zero knowledge. They're modular so after assessment you can join a higher level class if you already know Japanese.

I would *guess* that dedicated Japanese degrees would start from an assumption of zero knowledge. The big problem is there is a lack of second level instruction to feed into these degree courses.
That said I would also guess that no-one is going to start a degree in Japanese from an absolute zero knowledge.

I just looked up Cambridge and UCL SOAS and they both start from scratch. Looking at material on US and Australian university websites would make me believe that they also start from scratch.

However Cambridge's degree is 4 years rather than the usual 3 for undergraduate degrees. And the first 2 years are going to be intense as you are expected to spend year 3 in Japan. Which would mean going from zero to a standard between level 3 and level 2 JLPT in 2 years :shock:

from Cambridge's web site
"...there are no specific admissions requirements: just intelligence, enthusiasm and stamina."

And I reckon you'd need lot's of stamina!
Last edited by Belton on October 19th, 2006 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Abrassart
Established Presence

Postby Abrassart » October 19th, 2006 11:48 am

Jason wrote:I think it bear repeating that formal-style and jpod-styles of learning are wonderful compliments to each other.

I think so too. Especially the writting/reading, who is more difficult to learn with Jpod.

Jpod is great for listening exercice, to built your vocabulary, and also for practical situations.

ehuntley83
New in Town

Postby ehuntley83 » October 19th, 2006 2:30 pm

Belton wrote:Any kind of formal study will probably be better than self study.

I agree. I just started my first formal Japanese class and, like one user mentioned, I haven't been able to use much of it practically yet but I do see the benefits in the long run. Formal classes drill grammar and language rules into your head more than informal classes tend to. So far, I have used more jPod material with Japanese speaking friends, but I've actually been able to corrent them on minor grammar mistakes because of my formal class.

In the end, I think that using both formal and self study is the most advantageous thing you can do. One will help the other and vice-versa.

Jason

Postby Jason » October 19th, 2006 8:38 pm

japkid wrote:Are students of Japanese at college expected (generally) to have any experience with the language or is it taught for 一、二、三? I am not very good with my Japanese but I have a strong interest in taking it further I just don’t want to be in to deep.

You mean at a at a college not in Japan? If so, it's very likely they won't expect you to know anything beforehand. At least in America, I don't think Japanese is a very common subject taught in high school. I had next to no knowledge before I started.

There are some colleges in Japan that offer intensive courses in Japanese that will start from scratch.
Jason

Return to “JapanesePod101 Listener's Lounge”