Start Learning Japanese in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Is the Getting Started with Japanese Package worth buying?

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

pado
New in Town

Is the Getting Started with Japanese Package worth buying?

Postby pado » August 15th, 2009 9:08 am

I was searching around for a good way to learn Japanese and I came upon this site. But a quick question to you all would be is that "starting out" package worth buying? I was searching up other computer language learning programs like Rosetta Stone, but would really like input on other packages. Seeing as how my computer isn't always connected to the internet, a program sounds like a nice way to get started. Recommendations of other good programs would be nice as well. Thank You.

Quemaqua
New in Town

Postby Quemaqua » August 15th, 2009 3:29 pm

Wish I had some advice for you, but my experience with programs is pretty limited. The only thing I can say is that in my personal experience, textbooks are really a lot better. They're usually way cheaper and I always seem to get a lot more out of them.

Get 40% OFF
untmdsprt
Expert on Something

Postby untmdsprt » August 18th, 2009 11:56 am

The 'Getting Started with Japanese' package is quite a bit better than a textbook IMO because of the audio.

It includes 225 lessons covering expressions and grammar each lesson from the Premium membership's Beginner's and Newbiie series. I believe the popular textbook Genki I has about 100 or so, right?

Another reason to try the getting started series is also because a few of the lessons will have both the formal and casual style of speaking. Genki I is a good book,
but it doesn't really cover that casual style you'd use with new friends in Japan. Maybe this is because it's used in the classroom when talking to the teacher?

Anyways, I think both the 'Getting Started with Japanese' package and textbooks are good. But I do definitely recommend audio reinforcement - don't want to sound like a weird foreigner and stick out anymore, right?

Personally, I started listening to the podcasts at the very beginning in 2005 trying to decide how I wanted to study Japanese. My Japanese class was using Yookoso, and when the teacher would ask おげんきですか。, everyone else was giving the standard げんきです。while I'd gave various answers based on my current mood. The teacher was certainly impressed. :)

Hope this helps more in your decision! Good luck!

Return to “JapanesePod101 Listener's Lounge”