Start Learning Japanese in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Should Romaji be taken off future Podcasts?

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

Should all romaji be banned from past, present and future podcasts?

Yes, with immediate effect
21%
Yes, hoever progressivly on newbie and begginer lessons
54%
No, we need romaji
25%

Total votes: 24

josiah
Expert on Something

Should Romaji be taken off future Podcasts?

Postby josiah » January 17th, 2008 4:46 am

I've seen the discussion and how subscribers want Romaji banned from future Podcasts, so I have started a poll to see how many people want to keep it and those that don't.
Noted that it may be alright to keep it in Newbie, but I believe should be phased out progressively.

EDIT: I've edited the idea that it should be taken out of past notes as I didn't consider the logistics of such a project :oops: topic also sounds less aggressive :wink:
Last edited by josiah on January 18th, 2008 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

jemstone
Expert on Something

Postby jemstone » January 17th, 2008 7:00 am

by romaji, i assume you are talking about english. by banning english from the podcasts, they become less encouraging to listeners who are coming to jp101 to pick up a new language.

can you imagine leaving out japanese totally for englishpod101 that is catered for japanese? how will they learn? what will be used to mediate between the english language and the japanese-speaking japanese?
- まもる
くろくておおきくてかたくてひかててくさくてきみおなこえがあげるせぶつ。

Get 40% OFF
maxiewawa
Expert on Something

Postby maxiewawa » January 17th, 2008 8:30 am

I think that any attempt by a government, or any kind of organised movement to restrict language won't work.

Just like the movement in to ban split infinitives was doomed to ultimately fail. [/nerdy joke]

josiah
Expert on Something

Postby josiah » January 17th, 2008 8:45 am

e? no just to remove it from the PDFs mate 8)
IMHO anyone who has gotten past the initial beginner lessons shouldn't be using romaji anyway
あなたの敵を許しなさい。だが、その名前は決して忘れるな

デスノートにお前の名前書くぞ!!

jemstone
Expert on Something

Postby jemstone » January 17th, 2008 9:36 am

oh... the pdfs... =P ごめんね i misunderstood you.

i still think it should be in there though. maybe less of it in the intermediate ones.
- まもる

watermen
Expert on Something

Postby watermen » January 17th, 2008 1:42 pm

I never even bother to read the romaji at all....does't really matter to me, just don't look at it.

kc8ufv
Expert on Something

Postby kc8ufv » January 17th, 2008 5:18 pm

jemstone wrote:by romaji, i assume you are talking about english. by banning english from the podcasts, they become less encouraging to listeners who are coming to jp101 to pick up a new language.

can you imagine leaving out japanese totally for englishpod101 that is catered for japanese? how will they learn? what will be used to mediate between the english language and the japanese-speaking japanese?

No, Japanese printed with the Roman alphabet.

I suggest leaving it in the newbie and beginner lessons, take it out of everything else. Once you are past those, you really need to know kana.

stuu
Been Around a Bit

Postby stuu » January 17th, 2008 8:21 pm

I agree, I'd cover it up when reading the pdf then use it to check I was reading the kana correctly. Still has it's uses early on.

jemstone
Expert on Something

Postby jemstone » January 18th, 2008 1:36 am

kc8ufv wrote:No, Japanese printed with the Roman alphabet.

I suggest leaving it in the newbie and beginner lessons, take it out of everything else. Once you are past those, you really need to know kana.

japanese printed with roman alphabets... something like
"yoroshiku onegai shimasu" instead of
"よろしく おねがい します"?

if that's what you mean, then i agree to leave out the roman alphabets. there's good sense in cultivating a habit to refer to the pronunciation table for all 46 characters. for one, it will (after awhile) familiarize the beginner with the location of all the characters; and what naturally follows is that they will begin to recognize the characters and the sounds that come along with it.
- まもる

kc8ufv
Expert on Something

Postby kc8ufv » January 18th, 2008 5:53 am

jemstone wrote:

"よろしく おねがい します"?

Exactly.
Also, after re-reading this thread, I noticed the OP mentioned something about making this retroactive. I don't see the point of wasting the time/effort of removing it from what has already been produced. If it's already been published, it's not really hurting anything, even it isn't put in anything new.

jemstone
Expert on Something

Postby jemstone » January 18th, 2008 6:18 am

i think what they mean is if they decide to take out the alphabets and put in the hiragana or katakana, then they have to spend time changing all the pdfs of all the previous lessons. and that is quite a lot of pdfs.
- まもる

Psy
Expert on Something

Postby Psy » January 18th, 2008 6:34 am

kc8ufv wrote:I don't see the point of wasting the time/effort of removing it from what has already been produced. If it's already been published, it's not really hurting anything, even it isn't put in anything new.

I'm with you here, though some scholars might argue that keeping it is potentially damaging to the student. I just don't see the point in insisting such a burden on the JPod crew , especially since the same effort would be better spent towards the development of future lessons. However, I do agree that romaji should not be used any longer.
High time to finish what I've started. || Anki vocabulary drive: 5,000/10k. Restart coming soon. || Dig my Road to Katakana tutorial on the App store.

josiah
Expert on Something

Postby josiah » January 18th, 2008 9:17 am

kc8ufv wrote:
jemstone wrote:

"よろしく おねがい します"?

Exactly.
Also, after re-reading this thread, I noticed the OP mentioned something about making this retroactive. I don't see the point of wasting the time/effort of removing it from what has already been produced. If it's already been published, it's not really hurting anything, even it isn't put in anything new.

i decided to edit my original post, i don't think past pdfs should be changed, just the future ones :wink:
あなたの敵を許しなさい。だが、その名前は決して忘れるな

デスノートにお前の名前書くぞ!!

untmdsprt
Expert on Something

Postby untmdsprt » January 18th, 2008 8:23 pm

stuu wrote:I agree, I'd cover it up when reading the pdf then use it to check I was reading the kana correctly. Still has it's uses early on.

The only use for romaji is when they don't give the reading for the kanji. Otherwise it's pretty useless!

I never learned to read romaji because I had excellent teachers who drilled hiragana into our brains the first day. Besides I'm wanting something more out of the lessons than to say hello to the cute guys I meet on the street!

Ulver_684
Expert on Something

Postby Ulver_684 » January 18th, 2008 9:22 pm

josiah wrote:e? no just to remove it from the PDFs mate 8)
IMHO anyone who has gotten past the initial beginner lessons shouldn't be using romaji anyway

Josiah-san! :wink:

I agree with you my friend and hey nice quote have you hear Ulver inside blood? 8)

Return to “JapanesePod101 Listener's Lounge”