Start Learning Japanese in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Which syllables give you the most difficulty?

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

Which Katakana syllables give you the most difficulty to read and write?

Poll ended at January 15th, 2008 7:40 am

ク/タ/ヌ
No votes
シ/ツ
50%
ソ/ン/ノ
50%
コ/ロ
No votes
マ/ム
No votes
フ/ワ/ヲ
No votes
セ/ヒ
No votes

Total votes: 6

terrysimons
Been Around a Bit

Which syllables give you the most difficulty?

Postby terrysimons » January 8th, 2008 7:40 am

I have a particularly hard time with シ/ツ, ソ/ノ/ン and フ/ワ/ヲ, but which combinations give you the most trouble?

Psy
Expert on Something

Postby Psy » January 8th, 2008 9:50 pm

In all honesty none of them. I studied them very thoroughly, practiced them, and have since internalized them. However, that's not to say it started that way-- probably the biggest problems I had when I was learning were シツソン and remembering that katakana ヒ was different from hiragana と.

Get 40% OFF
jemstone
Expert on Something

Postby jemstone » January 9th, 2008 1:31 am

oh yea... like psy, i had trouble with シ and ツ, ソ and ン.. but i had no trouble with ノ though. i sometimes still have trouble with "shi" and "tsu", "so" and "n" i have overcame! =D
- まもる
くろくておおきくてかたくてひかててくさくてきみおなこえがあげるせぶつ。

kitty-chan
Established Presence

Postby kitty-chan » January 13th, 2008 6:05 am

シツソン

Yeah, it's like the inventor just got lazy and ran out of shapes. Hahahaha. :lol: :lol: :lol:

DaemonForce
Been Around a Bit

Postby DaemonForce » January 19th, 2008 6:32 pm

Interesting thought. This caught my attention as soon as I clicked the Index.

シツ
Shi and Tsu do not bug me so much since I learned the hiragana and it sticks 100%. It's probable that this has largely to do with the fact that I familiarized myself with these sounds with the Hepburn charts. Unfortunately this means that every time I see it written as si/tu I suddenly stop and waste about 9 seconds trying to find the character for it in my head.

The only real problem with these two are the really stupid nmemonics that I made for these:
Shi is smiling at me(stupid txt reference)
Tsu-nami... :roll:

Yeah. =/

ソン
So & n are the core of my frustration. Sure I can read them perfectly fine. Yet, after a few days of practice and some hours of writing, I can't write these without an interpretation tablet such as the Nintendo DS Kanji Sonomama Rakubiki Jiten confusing them for one another. I don't know if calibrating this thing to my handwriting would ever be in question since the pride is in perfecting how these characters are written.

Yes...My only points of study are a Nintendo DS and this site as well as anything helpful I find like Anki. I've already remember 4/5 words for please and I can recall 8 kanji with their associated sounds and their basic meanings. So far I must be doing pretty good. :arrow:

Psy
Expert on Something

Postby Psy » January 19th, 2008 11:44 pm

DaemonForce wrote:ソン
So & n are the core of my frustration. Sure I can read them perfectly fine. Yet, after a few days of practice and some hours of writing, I can't write these without an interpretation tablet such as the Nintendo DS Kanji Sonomama Rakubiki Jiten confusing them for one another.

Despite their similar appearances, these two kana are written in opposite ways. For a way to remember, think of the word SOY (to keep it distinct from N) and note that it is SO (ソ) with a Y. When you draw a lowercase 'y' in English, both lines are drawn starting up, moving downward. It is the same with ソ. In fact, if you connected the two lines in ソ with the proper stroke order, ソ would look a lot like the lowercase 'y.' N ン is just the opposite: Instead of close-to-vertical, the short top stroke is written nearly horizontally, and the long stroke is drawn from the bottom arcing upward. (such that if you made the short stroke really long, the figure would end up resembling a greater-than sign >.)

Yes...My only points of study are a Nintendo DS and this site as well as anything helpful I find like Anki. I've already remember 4/5 words for please and I can recall 8 kanji with their associated sounds and their basic meanings. So far I must be doing pretty good. :arrow:

Yup. Keep it up! :) Hope this helps.
High time to finish what I've started. || Anki vocabulary drive: 5,000/10k. Restart coming soon. || Dig my Road to Katakana tutorial on the App store.

Javizy
Expert on Something

Postby Javizy » January 21st, 2008 7:57 pm

I just remembered that the first stroke of シン should point to the top of the long stroke, but should be aimed more towards the middle with ツソ. マム gave me some trouble for a while because I didn't learn them properly to begin with (that's a lesson for you, kids :lol:).

I'd say I'm still slower at reading katakana than hiragana. The similarities are probably partly why, but it's more because it's generally less used in your average piece of text.

Return to “JapanesePod101 Listener's Lounge”