Start Learning Japanese in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Erklaren Innovative Language Sites Faithful Members!^^

Learn more about the community and how they are learning Japanese and about Japan. Do a little listener-to-listener chit chat. Keep it civil, and everything else goes.

Moderators: Admin Team, Moderator Team

What other languages sites would you like Erklaren to release in the future?

Arabic
1
2%
Chinese
16
36%
French
3
7%
German
5
11%
Italian
4
9%
Jewish
4
9%
Portuguese
7
16%
Norwegian
5
11%
 
Total votes: 45

Ulver_684
Expert on Something
Posts: 869
Joined: July 20th, 2006 3:31 am
Location: ニューヨーク
Contact:

Postby Ulver_684 » December 20th, 2007 7:42 am

lolillo wrote:
Ulver_684 wrote:
maxiewawa wrote:iMuchos Gracias!


Maxiewawa-san guey! :wink:

It is muchas gracias not muchos because you are like saying too much thank you. :shock:



"Mucho" (masculine, singular), "mucha" (feminine, singular) mean "much".

"Muchos (masculine, plural), "muchas" (feminine, plural) mean "many".

Since "gracia" is feminine, there must be a correlation between the two words, both in feminine, therefore "muchas gracias" ("many thanks"). (As opposed, for example, to "muchos chicos" - "a lot of boys"). :)


Lolillo-san! :wink:

You sound like David-san from Survival Phrases, is that you David-san?

lolillo
Been Around a Bit
Posts: 19
Joined: May 21st, 2006 3:28 am
Location: Canary Islands, Spain

Postby lolillo » December 21st, 2007 4:04 am

Ulver_684 wrote:
lolillo wrote:
Ulver_684 wrote:
maxiewawa wrote:iMuchos Gracias!


Maxiewawa-san guey! :wink:

It is muchas gracias not muchos because you are like saying too much thank you. :shock:



"Mucho" (masculine, singular), "mucha" (feminine, singular) mean "much".

"Muchos (masculine, plural), "muchas" (feminine, plural) mean "many".

Since "gracia" is feminine, there must be a correlation between the two words, both in feminine, therefore "muchas gracias" ("many thanks"). (As opposed, for example, to "muchos chicos" - "a lot of boys"). :)


Lolillo-san! :wink:

You sound like David-san from Survival Phrases, is that you David-san?


No, Ulver_684-san, I am not David-san, I am just lolillo (real name, Manuel). :)

Get 55% OFF 24-Month Premium
Ulver_684
Expert on Something
Posts: 869
Joined: July 20th, 2006 3:31 am
Location: ニューヨーク
Contact:

Postby Ulver_684 » December 24th, 2007 7:30 am

lolillo wrote:
Ulver_684 wrote:
lolillo wrote:
Ulver_684 wrote:
maxiewawa wrote:iMuchos Gracias!


Maxiewawa-san guey! :wink:

It is muchas gracias not muchos because you are like saying too much thank you. :shock:



"Mucho" (masculine, singular), "mucha" (feminine, singular) mean "much".

"Muchos (masculine, plural), "muchas" (feminine, plural) mean "many".

Since "gracia" is feminine, there must be a correlation between the two words, both in feminine, therefore "muchas gracias" ("many thanks"). (As opposed, for example, to "muchos chicos" - "a lot of boys"). :)


Lolillo-san! :wink:

You sound like David-san from Survival Phrases, is that you David-san?


No, Ulver_684-san, I am not David-san, I am just lolillo (real name, Manuel). :)


Manuel-san! :wink:

Nice to know you here on JP101 my friend! 8)

watermen
Expert on Something
Posts: 401
Joined: October 4th, 2007 4:47 am
Location: フィラデルフィア

Postby watermen » December 25th, 2007 5:20 am

Russian...will Erklaren consider RussianPod101? I think it is an important language, and more importantly there isn't any good learning russian material on the internet.

ChinesePod101 is a great idea too, but I believe Erklaren may have a tough time getting people to subscribe, Cpod has already built up a very strong reputation in this area. I think they are doing a pretty good job too, so why not just let them do it.

SwedishPod101...I have always been fascinated by those Scandinavian languages. Erklaren may consider Swedish.

ArabicPod101, this is one of the most important language to learn too.

FrenchPod101, not really worth it....there are a lot of French learning material online.

GermanPod101, same as French...there are a lot of learning material online.

PortuguesePod101, this is something Erklaren can consider seriously, it is a big language , especially in South America.

HindiPod101, Hindi is considered a top 5 language in the world, Erklaren may consider venturing into this market.

IndonesianPod101, together with Malay, it is one of the top 10 languages in the world, worth venturing.

Conclusion:

I would suggest Erklaren to venture into Russian and Arabic. These two languages are very influential, yet very little is known about these 2 to the English speaking world. Moreover, Russia is Japan neighbor.

markystar
Site Admin
Posts: 562
Joined: August 27th, 2006 11:11 pm
Location: 江戸城
Contact:

Postby markystar » December 26th, 2007 3:45 am

watermenさん、 you have a lot of good insights.

i don't agree with you about malay or indonesian. i have a lot of friends from both countries who tell me that can't even speak those languages. chinese and english prevail. i also get the impression they look down on the native tongue. i don't know enough about it, but here in japan the people i know from those places act that way. seems like english is their lingua franca.

as for Russian and Arabic. i totally agree with you. i can't say much about it at this point but..... we've already touched on arabic with survival phrases. so stay tuned for more!

Hindi is also interesting, except that it was a fomrer British colony so educated people doing business in that country speak natural english. But I agree that foreigners never bother to learn it, so it's worth the time.

everyone, keep the compliments and complaints coming, please!!!

:lol: :lol:
Last edited by markystar on December 26th, 2007 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ねぇ、ねぇ、私前にバンドキャンプでさ…

watermen
Expert on Something
Posts: 401
Joined: October 4th, 2007 4:47 am
Location: フィラデルフィア

Postby watermen » December 26th, 2007 5:11 am

markystar wrote:watermenさん、 you have a lot of good insights.

i don't agree with you about malay or indonesian. i have a lot of friends from both countries who tell me that can't even speak those languages. chinese and english prevail. i also get the impression they look down on the native tongue. i don't know enough about it, but here in japan the people i know from those places act that way. seems like english is their lingua franca.

as for Russian and Arabic. i totally agree with you. i can't say much about it at this point but..... we've already touched on arabic with survival phrases. so stay tuned for more!

Hindi is also interesting, except that it was a forer British colony so educated people doing business in that country speak natural english. But I agree that foreigners never bother to learn it, so it's worth the time.

everyone, keep the compliments and complaints coming, please!!!

:lol: :lol:


I want to learn Swedish.... :P ...I want to impress those blondes.... 8) Eagerly looking forward to SwedishPod101.

Ulver_684
Expert on Something
Posts: 869
Joined: July 20th, 2006 3:31 am
Location: ニューヨーク
Contact:

Postby Ulver_684 » December 27th, 2007 7:12 am

markystar wrote:watermenさん、 you have a lot of good insights.

i don't agree with you about malay or indonesian. i have a lot of friends from both countries who tell me that can't even speak those languages. chinese and english prevail. i also get the impression they look down on the native tongue. i don't know enough about it, but here in japan the people i know from those places act that way. seems like english is their lingua franca.

as for Russian and Arabic. i totally agree with you. i can't say much about it at this point but..... we've already touched on arabic with survival phrases. so stay tuned for more!

Hindi is also interesting, except that it was a fomrer British colony so educated people doing business in that country speak natural english. But I agree that foreigners never bother to learn it, so it's worth the time.

everyone, keep the compliments and complaints coming, please!!!

:lol: :lol:


Marky-san! :wink:

I want NoriwegeanPod101.com, I prefer black/read heads and love their language, culture so much. 8)

lolillo
Been Around a Bit
Posts: 19
Joined: May 21st, 2006 3:28 am
Location: Canary Islands, Spain

Postby lolillo » December 27th, 2007 7:40 am

Ulver_684 wrote:Manuel-san! :wink:

Nice to know you here on JP101 my friend! 8)


Thank you. Same here. :wink:

Ulver_684
Expert on Something
Posts: 869
Joined: July 20th, 2006 3:31 am
Location: ニューヨーク
Contact:

Postby Ulver_684 » December 29th, 2007 9:10 am

lolillo wrote:
Ulver_684 wrote:Manuel-san! :wink:

Nice to know you here on JP101 my friend! 8)


Thank you. Same here. :wink:


Manuel-san! :wink:

Que parte de espana eres tu? 8)

rdavison
New in Town
Posts: 4
Joined: October 7th, 2007 3:09 pm
Location: アメリカのフロリダ
Contact:

Postby rdavison » December 29th, 2007 10:18 am

I would like to see an IndonesianPod101 and a TagalogPod101. I really like the sound of the Tagalog language, and I have many filipino friends here.

lolillo
Been Around a Bit
Posts: 19
Joined: May 21st, 2006 3:28 am
Location: Canary Islands, Spain

Postby lolillo » December 30th, 2007 12:56 am

Ulver_684 wrote:
Manuel-san! :wink:

Que parte de espana eres tu? 8)


Soy de Madrid, pero ahora vivo en Canarias. ¿Y tú? ¿Eres de Méjico? (Lo digo por lo de "güey")

:D

Ulver_684
Expert on Something
Posts: 869
Joined: July 20th, 2006 3:31 am
Location: ニューヨーク
Contact:

Postby Ulver_684 » December 31st, 2007 8:03 am

lolillo wrote:
Ulver_684 wrote:
Manuel-san! :wink:

Que parte de espana eres tu? 8)


Soy de Madrid, pero ahora vivo en Canarias. ¿Y tú? ¿Eres de Méjico? (Lo digo por lo de "güey")
:D


Lolillo-san! :wink:

Si soy de Mexico DF osea City pero ahora vivo en NYC, lo que son las cosas. :wink:

terrysimons
Been Around a Bit
Posts: 16
Joined: June 4th, 2007 10:45 am

How about Irish?

Postby terrysimons » January 6th, 2008 6:28 pm

I'd like to learn Irish... how about Irishpod101.com? ;)

I'll also throw in a second vote for the native american languages... I think Cherokee was mentioned, but I'll throw in Navajo (which sounds totally awesome and has an awesome history w/regards to WWII).

kitty-chan
Established Presence
Posts: 68
Joined: October 22nd, 2007 3:05 pm
Location: Yuma

Postby kitty-chan » January 13th, 2008 3:15 pm

By Irish do you mean Gaelic? :wink: :wink: :wink:

terrysimons
Been Around a Bit
Posts: 16
Joined: June 4th, 2007 10:45 am

No, I mean Irish. ;)

Postby terrysimons » January 13th, 2008 4:14 pm

kitty-chan wrote:By Irish do you mean Gaelic? :wink: :wink: :wink:


Hehe

Actually the Irish prefer their language to be called "Irish" or "Irish Gaelic".

There's also Scottish Gaelic, which is the more commonly referred to as Gaelic, and as near I can tell, the Scots don't really care about that detail so much, but the Irish do.

Irish and Scottish Gaelic are definitely related, but they're still different... I think it's much like the various dialects of Spanish (Argentine vs Mexican vs Spain etc ad nauseum).

I specifically want to learn Irish Gaelic.

From Wikipedia:

The Goidelic languages (also sometimes called, particularly in colloquial situations, the Gaelic languages or collectively Gaelic) have historically been part of a dialect continuum stretching from the south of Ireland, through the Isle of Man, to the north of Scotland. They are one of two major divisions of modern-day Insular Celtic languages (the other being the Brythonic languages). Goidelic is generally divided into: Irish (Gaeilge), Scottish Gaelic (Gàidhlig), and Manx (Gaelg). Shelta is sometimes mistakenly thought to be a Goidelic language when it is, in fact, a cant based on Irish and English, with a primarily English-based syntax.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaelic_language


Return to “JapanesePod101 Listener's Lounge”