Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

kichigaijin
Established Presence

Postby kichigaijin » May 10th, 2007 6:29 pm

joroniconia wrote:ども。
O_o i hope i go tht emeianing of domo right,
わたしはがんばって、(∧_∧)

You got it right. :)

BTW- あっし (slightly different) is used in place of "わたし” but my dictionary says it's mainly used by "craftsmen" or "journeymen". EX: あっしにおまかせください。 あっし can also mean "getting crushed to death". Also, I remember growing up that あし or あっし  referred to a guy who's girlfriend was using him for his car.

Bueller_007
Expert on Something

Postby Bueller_007 » May 10th, 2007 7:09 pm

kichigaijin wrote:Also, I remember growing up that あし or あっし  referred to a guy who's girlfriend was using him for his car.

That's アッシー or アッシー君, I believe.

Get 40% OFF
kichigaijin
Established Presence

Postby kichigaijin » May 10th, 2007 7:24 pm

Bueller_007 wrote:That's アッシー or アッシー君, I believe.

thanks, i couldn't find it anywhere so just tried to go with best i could remember.

joroniconia
New in Town

Postby joroniconia » May 10th, 2007 8:06 pm

kichigaijin wrote:
joroniconia wrote:ども。
O_o i hope i go tht emeianing of domo right,
わたしはがんばって、(∧_∧)

You got it right. :)

BTW- あっし (slightly different) is used in place of "わたし” but my dictionary says it's mainly used by "craftsmen" or "journeymen". EX: あっしにおまかせください。 あっし can also mean "getting crushed to death". Also, I remember growing up that あし or あっし  referred to a guy who's girlfriend was using him for his car.

^^) thats getting quite interesting thou i coudl have guessed strange , man o__o so thats what the females have been telling me in my dreams no……(that was a joke try to lougth please). this is getting more and more interesting somehow i want to learn more japanese! and more japanese!
i have been fetured as a rabit in fruit basket wait now you know my name………

untmdsprt
Expert on Something

Postby untmdsprt » May 10th, 2007 10:43 pm

Hmm, dating a guy just for his car? Never heard of such a thing. ;)

BTW, I believe it's spelled どうも

kichigaijin
Established Presence

Postby kichigaijin » May 10th, 2007 10:56 pm

untmdsprt wrote:Hmm, dating a guy just for his car? Never heard of such a thing. ;)

i meant he got the meaning right, not the spelling. LOL
geeze can't believe i slipped on that one

untmdsprt
Expert on Something

Postby untmdsprt » May 11th, 2007 11:44 am

kichigaijin wrote:
untmdsprt wrote:Hmm, dating a guy just for his car? Never heard of such a thing. ;)

That's why romaji sucks and we need to avoid it!!!!!!!!!!

kichigaijin
Established Presence

Postby kichigaijin » May 11th, 2007 4:27 pm

untmdsprt wrote:
kichigaijin wrote:

That's why romaji sucks and we need to avoid it!!!!!!!!!!

true, but given that i'm more of a speaker than a reader/writer, i often screw up whether an お sounding kana is followed by an う. The mistake above reflects that. hehe

MattTheCat
Been Around a Bit

Postby MattTheCat » May 14th, 2007 3:37 pm

When I took my first Japanese class, about the second week in the sensei asked me in front of the whole class how to say "train" in Japanese. Having too much exposure to the anime world (including some of the more sordid content) instead of saying "でんしゃ" I responded with "ちかん". Sensei's jaw almost hit the floor, and when I realized what I said I went beet-red, and tried to save face by saying "Well, there's a lot of ちかん on the でんしゃ anyway" which got a bit of a giggle from the sensei. Thankfully, the rest of the class was oblivious to the incredible foux paus I had just committed.

MexicanHat
New in Town

Postby MexicanHat » May 22nd, 2007 10:38 pm

Omg I have heaps! in class there was this girl I was trying to impress. Anyway because they were new everyone had to say their name out loud. When it comes to my turn I say 私はホンさんです。Needless to say I was embarrassed after -_-

Another one was when we had to read the passages line by line. Anyway I noticed my line was extremely short but because the other person did not read it, I thought it must be what i had to read. So when I と言いました the whole class laughed even the teacher -_-

Another time was when I saw people selling Sushi so I spoke Japanese and found out that she doesn't know any. Anyway another time I went to Sushi Train and because everyone spoke Japanese when I came in I assumed hey they must know some. Then I was embarrassed again

Ulver_684
Expert on Something

Postby Ulver_684 » May 24th, 2007 12:45 am

MexicanHat wrote:Omg I have heaps! in class there was this girl I was trying to impress. Anyway because they were new everyone had to say their name out loud. When it comes to my turn I say 私はホンさんです。Needless to say I was embarrassed after -_-

Another one was when we had to read the passages line by line. Anyway I noticed my line was extremely short but because the other person did not read it, I thought it must be what i had to read. So when I と言いました the whole class laughed even the teacher -_-

Another time was when I saw people selling Sushi so I spoke Japanese and found out that she doesn't know any. Anyway another time I went to Sushi Train and because everyone spoke Japanese when I came in I assumed hey they must know some. Then I was embarrassed again

PaisanoHat-san! :wink:

WOW! :shock: You have alot of embarrasing moments in the J-learning! 8) :wink:

untmdsprt
Expert on Something

Postby untmdsprt » May 27th, 2007 7:16 pm

My teacher has had some moments when she would say the wrong thing. I remember she kept saying firefries. We all thought it was cute, but would never correct her until she finally asked me how her English was. I told her about the firefries, and pronounced it correctly for her. I told her that other than the L and R problem, her English is very good.

Another time though in class I said "えいごをみました" The teacher didn't realize I had made a mistake, but the other students did. They asked me to explain how I watch English. :D

kc8ufv
Expert on Something

Re: Embarrassing Moments In Learning!

Postby kc8ufv » May 29th, 2007 3:36 am

kichigaijin wrote:
kc8ufv wrote:....
The greeting format that month was Name, Hometown, Job, and something you like.
Immediately after saying "Toledo ni sundeimasu", I followed up with "tech support ni sundeimasu" instead of "tech support de hateriteimasu", realized it, could not think of "hateriteimasu", and completely lost my train of thought.

just a word of help, because nobody's brought it up.
not sure if you're having a hard time with roma-ji but i think the word you were looking for is:
hataraiteimasu ー>  はたらいています ー> 働いています

You're right. I typed that at work (no IME there), and when I read ローマジ my mind gets kinda flexible with the vowels. (I tend to hear long vowels in my head when looking at ローマジ)

kc8ufv
Expert on Something

Postby kc8ufv » May 29th, 2007 3:39 am

untmdsprt wrote:Another time though in class I said "えいごをみました" The teacher didn't realize I had made a mistake, but the other students did. They asked me to explain how I watch English. :D

Easy answer: Just say you can sign. :D

untmdsprt
Expert on Something

Postby untmdsprt » May 30th, 2007 12:55 am

kc8ufv wrote:
untmdsprt wrote:Another time though in class I said "えいごをみました" The teacher didn't realize I had made a mistake, but the other students did. They asked me to explain how I watch English. :D

Easy answer: Just say you can sign. :D

Ooooo, good answer!!!!

Return to “JapanesePod101 Listener's Lounge”