Problem with the forum RSS feed

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

jmignot
Been Around a Bit

Problem with the forum RSS feed

Postby jmignot » November 23rd, 2006 7:44 am

I have tried to subscribe to the forum RSS using the form at
http://www.japanesepod101.com/forum/smartfeed_url.php
but after generating the url and pasting it into my browser (tried with both Safari and Firefox) I always get the answer "pas de message" (sorry my browser speaks French :wink:)
and nothing is displayed.
I have tried different options but nothing worked.

Can anybody help ?

atomsk
Site Admin

Postby atomsk » November 24th, 2006 3:14 am

i just tested the forum feeds in a few different setups. Works fine for me. Maybe you selected options like "show only new topics since last visit" that will initially give you an empty feed? "pas de messages" n'est pas un message d'erreur, n'est pas? What do you want to show up in the feed?

Join by May 6th
jmignot
Been Around a Bit

RSS feeds now appear, but…

Postby jmignot » November 24th, 2006 7:29 am

I have changed the setup to "since last week" and now, I get the articles right. However, there is another problem: Japanese characters do not display correctly. I have tried all kinds of possible encodings in both Safari and Firefox but none of them fixes the problem.
Surprizingly, with the other JapanesePod RSS feeds, the display is ok in all cases, that is, does not seem to depend on the encoding I select in Safari :shock:

Has anybody got an idea ?

Jason
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Postby Jason » November 25th, 2006 8:07 am

Unfortunately, due to limitations of the forum software (the exact cause of which I haven't been able to track down yet), phpBB does not deal with Japanese characters quite correctly. If you've ever gotten a topic reply email that had Japanese in the title and the subject line was a garbled mess, I believe it's caused by the same problem.
Jason
Manager of Mobile & Mac Applications

jmignot
Been Around a Bit

Postby jmignot » November 25th, 2006 7:04 pm

Jason wrote:Unfortunately, due to limitations of the forum software (the exact cause of which I haven't been able to track down yet), phpBB does not deal with Japanese characters quite correctly. If you've ever gotten a topic reply email that had Japanese in the title and the subject line was a garbled mess, I believe it's caused by the same problem.

If Jason is right, this is a serious flaw for a forum focused on Japanese !…
Perhaps a fix will be released in the future. Meanwhile, I suppose one can still use the RSS feed to get an outline of the contributions, then pick one and read it normally in the browser. This looks a bit awkward, though…

Thanks for the info.

JohnCBriggs
Expert on Something

RSSReader Problems with the Forum

Postby JohnCBriggs » January 31st, 2007 12:32 am

I was wondering if anyone else is having the same problem as me.

About one week ago the RSSReader stopped working for the Forums. It continues to work fine with the lesson comments, but not the Forums.
So I deleted the feed from RSSReader and created a new one
http://www.japanesepod101.com/forum/sma ... y=standard
and tried to add it. After making a complaint about UTF8, the software just sits and hangs until cancel is pressed.
I have had the same problem on both my work and home computers.
John

Jason
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Postby Jason » January 31st, 2007 6:01 am

It works fine for me using Shrook in Mac OS X. Have you tried another reader?
Jason
Manager of Mobile & Mac Applications

JohnCBriggs
Expert on Something

Postby JohnCBriggs » January 31st, 2007 1:15 pm

Jasonさん,
I have just tried Google Reader and it works fine. I don't know what is wrong with RSSReader all of a sudden.
As a bonus, Google reader shows the Japanese characters just fine, but RSS Reader didn't show Japanese characters in the Forum.
So I guess I will switch to Google reader.
じゃ また
ジョン

Return to “Technical Support”