a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Podcasts versus Downloads...?

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

stonemirror
New in Town

Podcasts versus Downloads...?

Postby stonemirror » October 4th, 2006 1:00 am

I've gotten most of the audio files I've been using through an iTunes podcast subscription. Occasionally I've had a problem with one or another of the files (usually winding up with a truncated version), so I've downloaded the corresponding files from the site here.

When I drop the downloaded mp3 file onto iTunes, it imports it and places it in the Library (under artist "JapanesePod101", albums "Beginner Lesson", "Survival Phrases", etc.). Is there a way to get these files into the "Podcasts" section...?

Also, do you know of any way to get iTunes to re-download a podcast it believes it's already pulled down?

ありがとうございます for any help!

Bueller_007
Expert on Something

Re: Podcasts versus Downloads...?

Postby Bueller_007 » October 4th, 2006 8:24 am

stonemirror wrote:I've gotten most of the audio files I've been using through an iTunes podcast subscription. Occasionally I've had a problem with one or another of the files (usually winding up with a truncated version), so I've downloaded the corresponding files from the site here.

When I drop the downloaded mp3 file onto iTunes, it imports it and places it in the Library (under artist "JapanesePod101", albums "Beginner Lesson", "Survival Phrases", etc.). Is there a way to get these files into the "Podcasts" section...?

Also, do you know of any way to get iTunes to re-download a podcast it believes it's already pulled down?

ありがとうございます for any help!

iTunes places your music in a master folder divided into subfolders--1 for each artist. In that master folder, it also has a separate folder for podcasts. Inside the Podcast folder, you will find one subfolder for each podcast you subscribe to, arranged by podcast name.

If you just straight-added the MP3, it would have gone to the artist subfolder in the master folder, labeled "JapanesePod101.com" or something. You can try moving it to the JapanesePod101.com subfolder in the Podcast folder, and see if that works.

I have a strong feeling that it won't work unless you manually edit the iTunes Library file and "trick" iTunes into thinking it was downloaded as a regular podcast. (The library is stored as XML, I think...) I take no responsibility if you edit that file and lose your library.

As for redownloading podcast episodes, try this hint:
http://tinyurl.com/feer9

Get 30% OFF Premium & Premium PLUS
Jason
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Postby Jason » October 4th, 2006 4:48 pm

Oooo, Option-Click on the triangle. Nice tip. It'd be nice if they'd put that in the right-click menu or somewhere, though.
Jason
Manager of Mobile & Mac Applications

stonemirror
New in Town

Postby stonemirror » October 5th, 2006 12:10 am

Thanks! I'll try the trick for redownloading and see how that works.

It turns out that, on the iPod anyway, all of the stuff, podcasts and downloads alike, shows up under the artist "JapanesePod101.com"; the album naming is kind of inconsistent, but I can clean that up in iTunes, and then all the Basic Lesson should be viewable as a group, same for all the Survival Phrases, etc...

seanolan
Expert on Something

Postby seanolan » October 11th, 2006 12:10 am

Is there a difference between the downloaded MP3s from the website and getting the podcast automatically, aside from where iTunes puts the files?

Thanks!

Sean

Bueller_007
Expert on Something

Postby Bueller_007 » October 11th, 2006 1:42 am

seanolan wrote:Is there a difference between the downloaded MP3s from the website and getting the podcast automatically, aside from where iTunes puts the files?

Thanks!

Sean

I can't imagine that they'd introduce differences into the files they put up for subscription as opposed to the ones on the website. That's just more work.

Jason
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Postby Jason » October 13th, 2006 1:13 am

Except for the filenames, no. There's no difference between them.
Jason
Manager of Mobile & Mac Applications

Return to “Technical Support”