Or sign up using Facebook

Basic Feed on an Android device

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

Bissen
Been Around a Bit

Basic Feed on an Android device

Postby Bissen » February 15th, 2010 9:05 pm

Hey everyone!

I got my Archos 5 Internet Tablet today, one of the reasons being that I'd like to read along to the lessons without being near a pc.

I read another post here about someone with a bit of the same problem; he/she found out how to subscribe to the Basic Feed, but I can't :-/
I even downloaded the DoggCatcher as the other user fixed the problem with.

Is there any known way to fix this, 'cause I reeeeally want to be able to get my basic downloads directly on my Archos instead of going through my pc every time.

Thanks in advance :)

bugaboojones
New in Town

Android

Postby bugaboojones » February 15th, 2010 11:25 pm

Hello Bissen,

It seems as though this is a fairly common issue among Android devices. It supports the feed, but does not support authentication, without which our application will not work. However, please take a look at the link below, where a user referenced a program titled 'aCastC'.

http://www.japanesepod101.com/forum/vie ... ht=android

I would look into it, as it appears to have solved the issue.

Steve

Get 40% OFF Forever Discount
psz01
Been Around a Bit

Postby psz01 » March 13th, 2010 3:21 pm

Actually, any pod-catcher that supports authentication works. dPod, ACast, and the one I personally use, BeoyndPod will all work fine. The trick is finding the one that has the features you want ;->

d4veg
New in Town

Postby d4veg » April 29th, 2010 5:06 pm

BeyondPod is the only one that will even list any of the files in the feed for my Android 1.5

I'm not used to this interface yet but it looks like I'll be able to stream the podcasts now on Android!

woo0t

psz01
Been Around a Bit

Postby psz01 » May 1st, 2010 4:24 am

At this point, I think most of the 1.5 Android phones have updates (official or custom) to 1.6. Example being the Samsung Behold II that I use: It's officially still 1.5, however there are (at least) three different 1.6 ROMs available for it (I'm using one of them, now, in fact)

Not saying this will make a total difference in the function of various PODCatchers, however it's an option.

And yes, BeyondPOD is quite nice, and fairly easy to use (once you learn how to set it to "auto play" ;->)

At this point, the only features missing from BeyondPOD (for me, anyway) are the lyrics (for the built-in notes) not being readable on the files (Actually, I've yet to find ANY media player that does this), and no way to easilly move the Bonus tracks to play AFTER the main tracks, if you have it sorted Oldest to Newest (This is actually an issue for pretty much every PODCatcher I've tried, even on PC... Including iTunes)

psz01
Been Around a Bit

Postby psz01 » May 1st, 2010 3:30 pm

Side note for Android users:

There's a new web browser available for Android called "SkyFire 2"

One of the main features of this browser is intergrated Flash support.

Now..... This browser is still a beta and ATM (meaning it's not 100% feature filled... Certainly not as fast as Opera), and it does *NOT* support Flash in a way that can be used with japanesepod101.com.... Yet

While it will play videos on Daily Motion or YouTube or VIddler, for some reason it won't play videos from this site. It also cannot play Flash *APPS* yet, meaning the voice examples in the Learning Center can't be used

Hopefully this will get a more robust Flash variant in the future. God knows I'd love to get all the lessons and notes on my phone ;->

psz01
Been Around a Bit

Postby psz01 » November 10th, 2010 2:51 am

As an update: While BeyondPod is still my PodCatcher of choice for lessons, Android 2.2 allows for a Marketplace download of Adobe Flash.

This allows for the JapanesePod101 site to work on the Android phone as if it were a PC. You can just play a lesson directly from the site without any downloads or extra steps.

Return to “Technical Support”