Start Learning Japanese in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

no audio in JLPT and line-by line (on MacOS X)

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

rdesiree
Been Around a Bit

no audio in JLPT and line-by line (on MacOS X)

Postby rdesiree » June 21st, 2006 6:38 pm

Hi there,
I can't get the audio in the JLPT listening test (I tried every file in JLPT4 and 1 in JLPT3) and in the line-by line transcripts (I tried a couple of lessons). That means clicking on the arrow doesn't start any audio.

I'm using a powerbook titanium G4 and a quad2.5 G5, both running MacOS10.4.6. I found no other audio problems - I'm of course listening to podcast lessons, itunes works fine, webpages with annoying music backgrounds load and play happily as ever.

Let me know what further info could be helpful to you to help me out... it's particularly the listening part of the JLPT I would like to check out :(
ThanX!
RD

Jason
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Postby Jason » June 21st, 2006 7:10 pm

That's odd. It's not working for me either on MacOS X in either Firefox or Safari. Neither does the audio in the kana charts play. It works if I boot into Windows, though. Must be something screwy with the Flash player for Mac.
Jason
Manager of Mobile & Mac Applications

Join by May 6th
rdesiree
Been Around a Bit

Postby rdesiree » June 21st, 2006 7:20 pm

oh yeah, I tried the kana now and it doesn't work neither. I'm using Safari too. I will try with explorer (which is kind of more windowsy), but I have to install it first.
I would hate it to use Windows. Is there anything else we could try? Like open the file (how to get the file though, no idea) directly with realplayer, or quicktime or whatever audio program?

Alan
Expert on Something

Postby Alan » June 21st, 2006 9:02 pm

It's working for me Safari 2.0.3 with Flash Plugin 8.0 r24 :!:

Jason

Postby Jason » June 22nd, 2006 12:09 am

Aha! Found the answer here:

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php? ... 0164835119

1) Go to Applications\Utilities\Audio MIDI setup
2) Choose the Audio Devices tab at the top if it's not already there
3) In the drop down box next to "Properties For", choose "Built-In Output." If you have some other output, choose that.
4) Next to format, make sure it's set to "44100.0 Hz." Mine was set to "96000.0 Hz" before I changed it.
5) If you don't have surround sound speakers, make sure the box next to that is set to "2ch-16bit."
6) Close that window and everything should work now.

This is what worked for me.

[edit] The weird thing is that all the rest of my audio was working fine, except for any Flash file and for Finale PrintMusic's software synth. I guess while the audio card can handle the sampling rate at 96Khz, those individual programs can't. Go figure.
Jason

rdesiree
Been Around a Bit

Postby rdesiree » June 22nd, 2006 3:38 pm

Thanks Jason, but... :( I tried that already yesterday - doesn't help. As output, I have only "built in audio", no choice. :(
Explorer doesn't get the audio neither. I tried it on a PC with windows :evil: and it worked of course there :shock: :evil:
Any other ideas I could try?? I'm rather clueless. :? HEEEELLLLPPP!!!

Jason

Postby Jason » June 22nd, 2006 5:03 pm

It doesn't let you change the drop down box next to "Format"? What value is in that box? If "Built in output" is the only thing that shows up, that's fine. The important thing is that "Format" is set to 41000.0 Hz.
Jason

rdesiree
Been Around a Bit

Postby rdesiree » June 22nd, 2006 7:32 pm

Thanks Jason, at least I feel less lonely with my No-Audio!
Right. The audio output format, although it has a dropbox, has only one option. It has the values you mentioned: 44100.0 Hz and 2 channel 16 bit.
In fact, also the default drop boxes have just one option (built-in audio). I tried to augment the volume slider and also to mute the M channel ( :? desperation...) but that doesn't make any difference. Configure speakers lets me check nicely the speakers, which are ok.
/Users/rdjores/Desktop/Picture 2.png (Does this work???? :shock: I made a photo of the audiomidi setup and just dropped it here.)
I checked the recent MacAddict volumes for hints what to try, but so far to no avail... :cry:

Edit: ahhh, it doesn't work. Would have be amazing, if the photo appeared in the post :!:

Alan
Expert on Something

Postby Alan » June 22nd, 2006 7:49 pm

The line by line audio uses Flash, so check if you have it installed.

In Safari, click HELP -> Installed Plug ins

Look for:

Shockwave Flash 8.0 r24 — from file “Flash Player.plugin”.

and

Shockwave Flash 8.0 r24 — from file “Flash Player Enabler.plugin”

If it's missing, go here
http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash&P2_Platform=MacOSX

rdesiree
Been Around a Bit

Postby rdesiree » June 22nd, 2006 8:40 pm

Here it is: Shockwave Flash 7.0 r24 (which I used) doesn't work with the audio files here.

But: ThanX ThanX ThanX, Alan :lol: Version 8.0 does the trick! I'm so happy
:P .
Because I knew Flash worked (for other stuff, the old version is Ok) I would have never checked that one... oh boy :roll: I'll go and do some listening test now...
Thanks guys, :D
RD

Inuzuka
Been Around a Bit

Same Problem with Windows XP SP2, IE7

Postby Inuzuka » June 16th, 2007 12:30 am

Hello,

I had the same problem. Curiously it works with Firefox at the same computer (but sadly I don´t prefer this browser), at my company laptop and personal computer without any problems. JavaSE, Flashplayer and Shockwave are installed and actual. It concerned only the line-by-line audio and the vocabulary list with audio.

I normaly use a restricted User-Account, when I work with my computer. Because of some software installations, I gave me admin rights and what shall I say? Suddenly it works with IE7 also!? But what will happen, if I work as restricted user again? おかしいなあ。

I don´t know, if something like user rights exists in the Mac environmet too, but, perhaps it may be a method of solution?

Best regards,

Shino

Inuzuka
Been Around a Bit

*UPDATE* It still does not work with IE7

Postby Inuzuka » June 16th, 2007 12:40 am

Sorry, last posting was a mistake. It´s late and I tested it accidentally with firefox again. Now I tried it out with IE7 again and it still does not work, user rights are NOT the problem. Sorry, for that, I have no Idea...

regards, Shino

Return to “Technical Support”