Start Learning Japanese in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Premium Feed - Lose everything on iPod???

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

zakojanai
Established Presence

Premium Feed - Lose everything on iPod???

Postby zakojanai » July 24th, 2008 2:07 am

Last night I was transferring my jpod lessons to my ipod and when I finsished, I unplugged my ipod and then...there was nothing on my ipod. No music, no podcasts, no videos...everything was gone. I'm not saying this is jpod's fault, and I don't believe it is. But I'm wondering if this has happened to anyone else out there and if anyone knows what the problem might be.

And no, it's not because of the auto-sync function.

markystar
Site Admin

Postby markystar » July 24th, 2008 2:51 am

that's scary!

never happened to me.

everything is still backed up your computer, right?
ねぇ、ねぇ、私前にバンドキャンプでさ…

Get 40% OFF Forever Discount
Psy
Expert on Something

Postby Psy » July 24th, 2008 2:57 am

I've had this happen on very rare occasion (maybe twice for all the years I've been using iPods) on mine, and I found that a manual reboot of the iPod fixed the problem each time. Simply hold CENTER and UP (menu) for five seconds or so and then it will reboot.

Hope it works. Losing data like that is a scary prospect.
High time to finish what I've started. || Anki vocabulary drive: 5,000/10k. Restart coming soon. || Dig my Road to Katakana tutorial on the App store.

zakojanai
Established Presence

Postby zakojanai » July 24th, 2008 3:35 am

Well, most of the stuff is backed up. The weird thing is, some stuff I had save on there when I used it as a hard drive is still there. But anything that would be viewable in itunes is gone, all though it says I have 40gigs or so on the ipod. Prior to this, it was about 60 and the stuff saved on the hard drive is only about 8 gigs. Because I have a computer that I bought after the ipod, not all the music is backed up. Getting the jpod lessons back on it is possible, it's just gonna take a while.

Also, the manual reboot didn't work :(
Thanks for the suggestion, though.

maxiewawa
Expert on Something

Postby maxiewawa » July 24th, 2008 4:04 am

Did you click "disconnect" before unplugging it?

Taurus
Expert on Something

Postby Taurus » July 24th, 2008 8:57 am

If you go into 'Settings' and then 'About' from your ipod, does the ipod still think it's got stuff loaded on it? ie. does it show any usage of the storage capacity?

Ever since I've had my ipod it breaks down in various ways about once a week. One of the most common is for all my albums and playlists etc. to disappear. However, if I go into settings, it still shows me that the hard drive is being used. Normally a reset will sort things out (so pressing up and select, like Psy says). Other times I've had to use Windows Tools to scan it for errors and repair it (I use a PC).

I can't tell if the reset didn't work, or whether you couldn't get your ipod to reset. If it's the latter, try putting it down on a flat surface before you press up and select.

If the settings shows that your ipod is genuinely empty, I don't really know what to suggest. Sorry!

zakojanai
Established Presence

Postby zakojanai » July 24th, 2008 9:16 am

Yeah, it still says it has stuff on there, I just can't see anything. I did reset it like psy suggested, and that didn't do anything. I'll give the windows tools a try. Thanks everyone for the help.

Taurus
Expert on Something

Postby Taurus » July 24th, 2008 9:32 am

Did the ipod actually reset, though? Did you get the apple logo? The reason I ask is because I sometimes find it difficult to manually reset my ipod. It can take several attempts before I'm successful.

If you're going to use Windows Tools, you'll need to go to My Computer, right-click on your ipod and select 'properties'. Then go to 'tools' and select 'error-checking'. Then click both check boxes in the dialogue box that comes up. The whole process can take several hours, and may not work, but you should try it if manual reset doesn't. I can't remember what I've done when both methods have failed to work...

Return to “Technical Support”