a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Embedded pdf flies - size too big

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

ShiroiNeko
Established Presence

Embedded pdf flies - size too big

Postby ShiroiNeko » October 31st, 2009 2:12 am

For some time now, some embedded pdfs have file sizes over 5 Mg, instead of the normal 50-100 K.

These files are very difficult to use on a iPhone or iTouch due to slow loading, display and zooming. I have not yet found a viewing app that copes well with large files.

I think several other people have commented on this in the forums, but the large files keep coming. Can you please fix this re-occurring problem ??

Thank you

watermen
Expert on Something

Re: Embedded pdf flies - size too big

Postby watermen » October 31st, 2009 7:09 am

ShiroiNeko wrote:For some time now, some embedded pdfs have file sizes over 5 Mg, instead of the normal 50-100 K.

These files are very difficult to use on a iPhone or iTouch due to slow loading, display and zooming. I have not yet found a viewing app that copes well with large files.

I think several other people have commented on this in the forums, but the large files keep coming. Can you please fix this re-occurring problem ??

Thank you

I have been complaining about it, from the very 1st 5.6MB PDF Jpod produced, I have already predicted the problem and told them about it. But they take no action.

Please read my post about solving PDF problems for Mac users.

Clearly, Jpod is avoiding this issue and not answering their costumers. I am very unhappy about it.

Get 45% OFF
cwabbott
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Postby cwabbott » November 1st, 2009 3:24 pm

Hello ShiroiNeko,

I've alerted our content team about the issue and we will hopefully have all the large PDFs replaced on Monday.

Thank you for your patience,
Charles
JapanesePod101.com
Learn Japanese with FREE Daily Podcasts

http://www.japanesepod101.com
contactus@japanesepod101.com

"The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance, but the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin, The Seekers

ShiroiNeko
Established Presence

Postby ShiroiNeko » November 14th, 2009 12:14 am

cwabbott wrote:Hello ShiroiNeko,

I've alerted our content team about the issue and we will hopefully have all the large PDFs replaced on Monday.

Thank you for your patience,
Charles

Youv'e done it again, haven't you ?

Video Lesson V74, embedded pdf, downloaded 14th Nov 09, size 5,262 Kb.

This is the third time I have had to raise file size issues, once by e-mail, and twice in the forum. Yes, you do fix the problem after the event, but please investigate the reason why this problem keeps coming back.

richardsmith4042262
New in Town

Postby richardsmith4042262 » December 10th, 2009 6:05 pm

Youv'e done it again, haven't you ?

This is rude. Just because you don't like the filesizes doesn't mean that Jpod101 should change them straight away, or even at all. I prefer the larger PDFs, they contain more information and are visually more pleasing to look at. In addition, the larger size is a result of including embedded fonts and other information which make the document render correctly.

If there is a solution whereby the same information (including all formatting and font information) can be included in an optimised way to reduce filesize, I'm all for that.

To view the PDFs on your iphone you can batch convert them with any number of PDF tools to reduce the quality.

Yamanchu
Expert on Something

Postby Yamanchu » December 10th, 2009 8:39 pm

Richard, no, it isn't rude. The file sizes are bigger than they should be. Whether because they use an outdated program to make the pdf file or what, I don't know, but the file sizes can be, and should be smaller.

richardsmith4042262
New in Town

Postby richardsmith4042262 » December 10th, 2009 8:45 pm

I was referring to the phraseology "you've done it again, haven't you?" as being rude. It's what you would say when scolding a child, not asking something of an adult.

However, I now agree with the general complaint after comparing a 221kb PDF and a 5.4mb one from Newbie S2. They contained the same embedded fonts and equivalent amounts of information. This is undoubtedly a problem with the pdf creation software (along with this problem: http://www.japanesepod101.com/forum/vie ... 7593#27593). Perhaps time for Jpod101 to upgrade to better software.
Last edited by richardsmith4042262 on December 11th, 2009 4:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jessi
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Postby Jessi » December 11th, 2009 12:11 am

The PDFs are not supposed to be that big, but some kind of bug has been causing a lot of the embedded ones to come out to this size. We are trying to fix all of them that are affected by this, but we may miss some here or there. If you let us know about any PDFs that are still too big, please let us know and we will fix them right away.
♪ JapanesePod101.com ♪ 好評配信中!
Leave us a message in the forum if you have any comments, questions, or feedback!

Return to “Technical Support”