Write the correct order of Kanji!

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

fgoya
New in Town

Write the correct order of Kanji!

Postby fgoya » August 28th, 2006 3:04 pm

Hi Guy!

First of all, sorry my bad english.

I don´t know exactly kow i can say in english... but this web sites is amazing. You don´t have ideia how much is good learn here.

So, i think that to learn a new langue, you have to learn all thing in a right way. For exemplo: learn a word, learn especial the grammar, to you can speak RIGHT. And, in the case of Japanse, they have the Kanjis. I love it!! But i think that is good if you can right the CORRECT ORDER od the Kanjis.

THis web site give us a lot of kanjis. A paper with a exercise´s kanjis. But, don´t say the correct order to start a kanji. I don´t know with you can understand me. Here in japan have a lot of book that teach kanjis and have a number near of the stroke and if this star of left or right. So it´s easer to know HOW can right this Kanji.

I Think that is important... because, here in the site, we can LISTEN TO the conversation mp3, READ the converstation. But to practice the Kanjis´write, it´s can be difficult because we dont know the correct order.

I hitnk that isn´t so difficult you you guy, do this for us. And for us, will be GREAT!!!

I really hope that you understand me and, can see my suggestion in practice in the futures lesson ;-)

Thanks guys!!!! You help us so much!

Fernando

JockZon
Expert on Something

Postby JockZon » August 28th, 2006 6:18 pm

To write a kanji isn't that hard.

Some average rules:

1. From left to right
2. From top to bottom
3. When you draw a box you do what's going through it before you close it at the bottom.

I think there are some more but I can't recall right now.

Get 40% OFF
tiroth2
Established Presence

Postby tiroth2 » September 1st, 2006 1:23 am

I don't know, usually the big stuff is easy but it isn't quite as clear which one of two strokes to do first in certain kanji unless you just know it.

右・左
羊・善
心・必
生・牛

Bueller_007
Expert on Something

Postby Bueller_007 » September 1st, 2006 4:04 am

tiroth2 wrote:I don't know, usually the big stuff is easy but it isn't quite as clear which one of two strokes to do first in certain kanji unless you just know it.

Questions about stroke order can be directed to wwwjdic.
http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/cgi- ... i?1MKU6F22
Click on the SOD link at the end of the entry and it takes you here:
http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/cgi- ... 657_%B4%C1

Airth
Expert on Something

Postby Airth » September 1st, 2006 12:58 pm

Bueller, thank you so much for that link. There are always a few kanji that have some bizarre stroke order, and I'd been trying to find a look-up tool exactly like this. Now I need never worry about forgetting the stroke order for 凸凹!

Bueller_007
Expert on Something

Postby Bueller_007 » September 3rd, 2006 4:07 am

Airth wrote:Bueller, thank you so much for that link. There are always a few kanji that have some bizarre stroke order, and I'd been trying to find a look-up tool exactly like this. Now I need never worry about forgetting the stroke order for 凸凹!

No worries.

fgoya
New in Town

Postby fgoya » September 14th, 2006 2:42 pm

Guys!

Thanks to all reply.

As the tiroth2 said,

たとえば:

One star from top to down. ANd the other from left to right.

I think that is much easier if the japaneseipod101 can put a number on the side of the stroke to us know where that kanji star (left,right) and what´s the strokes order. I think that is not a BIG PROBLEM to they... and a BIGGEST HELP to us

I have some books that teach who to right Kanji. And in this book, have this numbers to the people know the correct order.

Hoboken
New in Town

Kanji stroke order

Postby Hoboken » September 26th, 2006 4:31 am

I'm in the first 15 minutes of the seven day trial, and while I'm likely to turn into a paying customer, adding stroke order would seal the deal. I'm hooked on the podcasts, and everything else on the site is amazing, just add that to the PDFs and I'm in for sure.

terrysimons
Been Around a Bit

Has this been rectified yet?

Postby terrysimons » June 4th, 2007 4:10 am

I think to the point of the original poster - To learn Japanese properly it is essential to learn to write Kanji correctly. I think it's great that the lessons (I have only looked at Intro/Beginner) provide Kanji worksheets, but there is a serious flaw in that they do *NOT* give stroke order or # of strokes for the Kanji... which makes learning how to properly write the Kanji in the respective lessons quite difficult.

I too have external Kanji material and can learn the # of strokes and stroke order separately, but I would prefer to learn this information within JP101.com.

It's not always possible to know how to write a Kanji even if you do know that strokes are top to bottom left to right... I would prefer to have the information in front of me when completing the worksheet.

Aside from that I think JP101.com is amazing. ;)

- Terry

dhusk
New in Town

What? no stroke order?

Postby dhusk » September 20th, 2007 3:59 pm

The site is amazing. I have been listening to the early podcasts for the last few months and decided I wanted to jump into the kanji part of my learning. I am on day 5 of my 7 day trial and am very disappointed with not seeing stroke order for kanji.

The podcasts are great. The site is well organized. The information is plentiful and useful. But without stroke order, the kanji portion of the system is seriously deficient.

Please bring the kanji portion of this website up to the high standard you have created for the rest of the website.

markystar
Site Admin

Postby markystar » September 25th, 2007 1:23 am

actually, we've been trying to figure out a feasible way to integrate that into the site. the problem is, whereas there are a small number of kana (which we do have stroke order provided), there are at least 1945 kanji that we have to illustrate. so it's not a simple task.

but rest assured, we will be implementing something down the road.

marky
ねぇ、ねぇ、私前にバンドキャンプでさ…

annie
Expert on Something

Postby annie » September 25th, 2007 12:33 pm

markystar wrote:actually, we've been trying to figure out a feasible way to integrate that into the site. the problem is, whereas there are a small number of kana (which we do have stroke order provided), there are at least 1945 kanji that we have to illustrate. so it's not a simple task.

marky

Kanji stroke order becomes fairly self-evident after awhile. (though, i have been writing も wrong for at least the last 5 years, so maybe I'm not the best person to listen to) I agree that writing kanji correctly is important, but I don't think that japanesepod101 has to cover every element of Japanese.

I think it would be a better use of time and resources to introduce radicals properly, as well as other popular kanji elements.

maxiewawa
Expert on Something

Postby maxiewawa » September 25th, 2007 2:10 pm

I'm torn by this subject. You can't write Kanji properly without knowing stroke orders, but writing by hand is becoming so rare that it's not so important...

I know quite a few Kanji/Hanzi (I read/write Chinese) but would only be able to write a quarter of my vocabulary at most... yet I still can read a newspaper, type in Chinese, and write basic compositions by hand. I'm satisfied with my writing (by hand) level.

I've never been taken by dissecting Kanji/Hanzi. The best way to remember them is to read them in context, and I always feel that time spent analyzing radicals could be better served reading Kanji/Hanzi in context.

In the same way, I've always felt that time spent getting stroke order right doesn't help retention either... reading in context has always been a bigger help to me.

Paradoxically, the only place where writing Kanji/Hanzi (I'm just going to write 漢字 from now one to save space) becomes relevant is when doing an exam. Most exams are done on paper, and computers/cellphones are not allowed (one of the only places in modern society where this is so). Tests, which are supposed to measure your ability, require you to retain an ancient ability (being able to write thousands of 漢字) which is no longer relevant.

Finally for everyone struggling to remember 漢字, I'll say this: about once a week a Chinese language professor at 上海外国語大学校 says something, goes to write it and comes up blank. He'll scratch his head and look around blankly. Either that or a professor will write something cryptic on the board, and the whole class will give deep, meaningful looks to say "wow, I've never heard that word before" until someone pipes up from the back "I think that 漢字 is wrong!" Said professor gives a grin and changes a radical. Even university professors of a language entirely made of 漢字 often get it wrong!

dhusk
New in Town

Postby dhusk » September 25th, 2007 5:41 pm

markystar wrote:actually, we've been trying to figure out a feasible way to integrate that into the site. the problem is, whereas there are a small number of kana (which we do have stroke order provided), there are at least 1945 kanji that we have to illustrate. so it's not a simple task.

marky

Instead of trying to consume the entire elephant in one try, consider one small bite at a time. For example, creating a system to show the kanji that are part of the lessons first. Then, later, expand to cover what is on the JLPT.

jemstone
Expert on Something

Postby jemstone » September 26th, 2007 3:44 pm

i agree with maxiewawa. i'm living in singapore where, if you're chinese, you learn both english and chinese. i'm not sure if they still do that now. the main point is while i do speak and read chinese fairly well, my writing is down the dumps. while maxiewawa can still write abt a quarter of her vocab, i can barely write one complete sentence correctly.

retaining the language ultimately was the frequent usage in everyday conversation and frequent reading (i used to read a lot of chinese comics).

the funny thing was, the more you read, after a length of time, you realize that you are able to picture the word in your head and can roughly write it out.

as for the numbered strokes... well... since young i have always had this debate with my chinese teacher. she says the strokes are important, but my argument was that if i could write the word out correctly, and you can read the word and know what it is, why do you care if i write from the bottom right corner and end at the top left? in the end, writing words are just a form of communication. if the sentence that i write conveys my message, then it wouldn't matter if i wrote the words correctly or not.

and now as i think abt it, i think the numbered strokes are really just an ergonomic design. if you follow the strokes by the numbers, you realize it's easier to write the word. than compared to writing it any other way. try writing a kanji from the last number first, with the ending stroke as 1. you'll probably find it's much tougher to write it.

just my two cents on the subject.

Return to “Japanese Lesson Suggestions”