a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Jpod101 advertising method is poor and badly done

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

watermen
Expert on Something

Jpod101 advertising method is poor and badly done

Postby watermen » September 28th, 2009 12:14 am

I feel that Jpod101 advertisement is getting more and more like those irritating language courses ads.

For example, I wanted to know what is gengo Japanese, so I clicked the link, to my surprise I see a super long page of ad that I need to scroll down, the moment I see that, I just closed that page, I am not even thinking of reading it or even going back to read it.

That ad is so typical of those bogus language course that claim to do this and that. It just give people a bad impression, and really most people don't even bother to read it. It is a very bad advertising method.

I am quite sure Jpod101 gain its popularity not through ads, but words of mouth, forums, podcast ranking, google search and etc. Therefore having those ads is pretty futile, it may even backfire Jpod101, those ads are really irritating.

Just imagine, will you really subscribe to a course because of those long-lengthy ad in Jpod101? or will you subscribe a course because your friend highly recommend it and after seeing a good review from a 3rd party website?

overtonkate8896
New in Town

Re: Jpod101 advertising method is poor and badly done

Postby overtonkate8896 » March 2nd, 2012 1:57 pm

watermen wrote:
I am quite sure Jpod101 gain its popularity not through ads, but words of mouth, forums, podcast ranking, google search and etc. Therefore having those ads is pretty futile, it may even backfire Jpod101, those ads are really irritating.

Agreed I came here by word of mouth, ironically the first advertising I have been exposed to is in each and every podcast telling me to go to the webpage, I am already there!!! Slightly annoying ;)

Get 40% OFF
boku1571
Been Around a Bit

Postby boku1571 » April 27th, 2012 9:55 am

The whole JapanesePod101 experience is like that. They make great podcasts, but the rest of the experience just seems .... tragic. I wouldn't be here for ANYTHING except for the audio content... even the forums are dead, the staff doesn't communicate with the users, most of the blogs and features haven't been updated in years...

Worse, if you sign up for a free account, the spam you get trying to get you to upgrade is horrible. Plus, the rates are very high and you'd be dumb not to use a discount code.

Cleaning up the website and having a more fair pricing policy with a lower overall rate and no big discount codes that you have to hunt down would go a long way to improving this service's reputation.

watermen
Expert on Something

Postby watermen » May 15th, 2012 9:20 pm

boku1571 wrote:The whole JapanesePod101 experience is like that. They make great podcasts, but the rest of the experience just seems .... tragic. I wouldn't be here for ANYTHING except for the audio content... even the forums are dead, the staff doesn't communicate with the users, most of the blogs and features haven't been updated in years...

Worse, if you sign up for a free account, the spam you get trying to get you to upgrade is horrible. Plus, the rates are very high and you'd be dumb not to use a discount code.

Cleaning up the website and having a more fair pricing policy with a lower overall rate and no big discount codes that you have to hunt down would go a long way to improving this service's reputation.

When jpod101 first started, the staffs were very helpful and interactive, there is a vibrant community here. I have been here since the launch.

Unfortunately, at the time when I posted this thread, it is also the start of the decline of Jpod101, I don't know what happened to them, their staff no longer interact with learners, their advertising methods became horrible, to such a point that it makes people feel like it is a spam, not to mention that they keep spamming people with emails.

All these are really bad.

Jpod101 has very good quality product with awesome reviews to begin with, I don't know why Jpod101 management team need to use this kind of shabby tactic to get more customers, in my opinion, you guys are only driving more customers away.

Look here: http://japanese.livejournal.com/2144594.html

People are already complaining about it. This is not a good sign. Even after many years this thread was started, Jpod101 never seems to make an effort to change. Sigh...

A downfall of a company always begin when the management team is not listening to their loyal customers...

Return to “Japanese Lesson Suggestions”