a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

About learning oral japanese

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

VicVega
New in Town

About learning oral japanese

Postby VicVega » May 22nd, 2009 5:26 pm

I've registered today on the site and I think it's very clear, organized and instructive.

I see a lot of japanese cinema and my only goal would be to understand what is said without english subtitles.

So with that in mind, should I only center my take on the lessons in the oral part?, or it would be faster if I also try to write and understand kanjis and kana on the other sections? (knowing that if I take the time do this, I would be much slower in advancing lessons)

That's my question, I hope I made it more or less clear. Keep up the good work.

Drabant
Been Around a Bit

Postby Drabant » May 22nd, 2009 6:59 pm

I'm a beginner as well (well, pretty much). But for some words I think they are easier to remember what they mean, when I know how they are written with kanji, and I know what the kanji means.

I also feel that reading the words in kana instead of romaji improves my pronouciation, because they don't carry the same preconceptions about pronunciation that roman characters do. But since you only want to listen, that might not be an issue.

Still, knowing how to read is good even if you just watch movies, because there is some text there as well. So learning a few kanji could be fun.

If I were you, I would use the PDFs to review. I wouldn't put a lot of effort on reading and writing, just look over the kanji and what you catch, you catch.

There is a risk however, that your interest grows. If you later realize that you do want to know how to read, you will regret not having studied it from the start.

Get 40% OFF
Belton
Expert on Something

Postby Belton » May 23rd, 2009 10:14 am

An ability to read (and actually reading!) will increase your vocabulary quicker than just aural ability alone.

Listening I'd say is the hardest of the four major skills; you need to do it in real time, it needs a large passive vocabulary and you have no control over it for the most part.
With movies it's even a little harder as although you have visual clues you cannot ask questions or clarify what is said. (although ou can replay a scene on a DVD)

Even in movies a reading ability would be a useful interim skill if you can use Japanese subtitles. I often find I cannot quite distinguish what is said but if I have subtitles it will click into place a bit more.

My advice for what it's worth, by all means concentrate on listening as that is your primary goal but I'd also include other aspects of the language for balance and variety.

ShiroiNeko
Established Presence

Re: About learning oral japanese

Postby ShiroiNeko » July 2nd, 2009 11:57 pm

VicVega wrote:I've registered today on the site and I think it's very clear, organized and instructive.

I see a lot of japanese cinema and my only goal would be to understand what is said without english subtitles.

So with that in mind, should I only center my take on the lessons in the oral part?, or it would be faster if I also try to write and understand kanjis and kana on the other sections? (knowing that if I take the time do this, I would be much slower in advancing lessons)

That's my question, I hope I made it more or less clear. Keep up the good work.

I started learning Japanese for the same reason, about 2 years ago.
I suggest that you also study written Japanese.

It does not take very long to learn hiragana and katakana.
Also, there is some grammar that is easier to understand if you know how it is written

I would also include JLPT Level 4 kanji ( or more if you are dedicated )
It makes movies much more fun to watch if you can read the signs, as well as understand the spoken dialog !!

:kitty: ooOO ( Grrr )
FierceCat

Return to “Japanese Lesson Suggestions”