Start Learning Japanese in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

How do you know when to advance to the next level?

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

Malito
New in Town

How do you know when to advance to the next level?

Postby Malito » February 26th, 2008 6:07 pm

I wasn't sure where to post this so forgive me if it's in the wrong place.

My question is, if there are new lessons every so often, then how do you know to go from "Newbie" to "Beginner" to "Beginner S2" to "Beginner S3" and so on.

I understand that I can just make that decision myself so I beg you not to reply with "Well, you decide when to go to...". I want to know what JPOD101's intentions were; what they had in mind.

Thank you all in advance! JPOD101, keep up the amazing work! :D

markystar
Site Admin

Postby markystar » February 27th, 2008 5:00 am

hmmmmm....

well, the original intention, i think, was for each level to be completely isolated, but what we've found is that while some people do stick to one level (as intended), most people tend to hop around... or some listen to everything. others listen to the current lessons as they come out, but then go back and review seriously old lesson at their particular level. so the way people use the site is really all over the place. i don't want to say it's up to you, cuz you said you don't want to hear that, but... :lol:

i guess what i could say for the theory behind beginner and season 2 and season 3 is this:

the original Beginner series was intended to progress in a linear fashion. each lesson built on the previous lesson. somehow after 100 beginner lessons things got pretty wild... i mean advanced - really advanced.

Season 2 and Seaon 3 were designed as non-linear courses. this is for people who have the basics down but want reinforcement and practice. i've noticed a lot of quite advanced students listen to these stories still simply for the practice.

the Nihongo Dojo Newbie Series was meant for the absolute beginner with no prior knowledge of Japanese except maybe "sushi" "sayonara" and "karate." like the first beginner course, this has been designed in a linear fashion. again, each lesson builds on the previous lesson.

if you can listen to this week's newbie lesson and find it too easy, try this week's beginner. if that's too easy, try this week's lower intermediate. and so on....

if you are somewhere in between levels, that's ok! you can always search for topics, function, grammar points, etc with the lesson tags on the site. the grammar bank in the learning center also references lessons, i believe.

the current Newbie Series (Nihongo Dojo) will eventually end. and when it does, Season 3 will end and a new linear Beginner Series will start.

the site will stay dynamic and always be evolving. this way we can always try new approaches and new methodologies.

oh, one more thing about the Learning Center :idea:
if you use it the way it was intended, after you do the content questions, grammar questions, read the pdf's and practice pronunciation and listening with the line-by-line audio, you can check the lesson as completed. this is a way to systematically go through all of the lessons of a particular level.

i hope this was helpful...

i think the most proactive listeners on the site take radically different approaches. for example, watermen is very systematic and thorough and seems to be going through all of the levels at the same time. other listeners are jumping around based on grammar points or interesting topics.

i'd like to hear what other people are doing :D

marky
ねぇ、ねぇ、私前にバンドキャンプでさ…

Get 40% OFF
Javizy
Expert on Something

Postby Javizy » February 27th, 2008 1:05 pm

I started with Beginner S1 and did about 3/day unless I thought they were too hard (I remember hitting a wall at 60-61), and stopped occasionally to review. The jump to Beginner S2/S3 isn't a very big one after you finish S1, and the extra time spent doing those helps prepare you for Lower Intermediate. I found the first 10 or so quite easy, but then the explanations started containing more Japanese, although I could understand more than I expected.

I carried on working through at a slower pace, and after 40-50 LI, the jump to Intermediate wasn't too difficult either. At that point, I started trying to read some manga, listen to podcasts, watch TV shows, and buy some textbooks on various topics, as well as finding an "e-mail buddy". Jpod is an invaluable resource, but the more you progress, the more exposure you need, so look to complement it with whatever you can.

There are a lot more lessons in the middle two levels now, so you should be even more prepared for the jump between levels than I was. As long as you take things at your own pace, you should never hit any major walls.

Like Marky says though, different people work through the lessons in different ways, so it's more about whatever works for you. I do feel though, that each level really helps to prepare you for the next one, so if you're a beginner, you might want to at least consider approaching it in the way I described. Good luck anyway 8)

Malito
New in Town

Postby Malito » February 27th, 2008 4:48 pm

すごい, the type of answers I was looking for!

See, if I hadn't said what I didn't want to hear, I might not have gotten such good, thorough responses.

I really appreciate your time, ありがとうございます. Now I know how to move along.

じゃあまた!

untmdsprt
Expert on Something

Postby untmdsprt » February 29th, 2008 10:14 pm

Hello,

I started with the survival phrases first, moved on to Beginner 1, and then went to the Newbie lessons. I've stuck with the newbie lessons until Nihongo Dojo and beyond started. I've now gone back to the survival and Beg 1 lessons.

I usually listen to everything while at work for about 4 hours, and then read the PDFs in the evening. I've found this is helping me train my ear better since I'm a visual learner.

After I've gone through everything once, I will probably add the next Nihongo Dojo series, and continue reviewing everything.

josiah
Expert on Something

Postby josiah » March 1st, 2008 2:56 am

i started listening
in the
beginning
almost
started with beginner S1
then got stuck for a
while

time of no
study

then went to S2
then went back to season 1
now starting with
lower intermediate

haven't listened to
much
newbie lessons

call me
haphazard
i always listen to
the newest
lessons
あなたの敵を許しなさい。だが、その名前は決して忘れるな

デスノートにお前の名前書くぞ!!

the_haunted_boy
Been Around a Bit

Postby the_haunted_boy » March 13th, 2008 10:25 pm

I think that it would be easier to listen to all the episodes of one level if all the levels were completed, but so far it seems like that will take a while, but that is fine, I prefer to listen to all the episodes, usually by the grammar point.

Return to “Japanese Lesson Suggestions”