a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

A lesson on Japanese internet

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

watermen
Expert on Something

A lesson on Japanese internet

Postby watermen » February 5th, 2008 2:34 pm

I saw such a lesson in KoreanClass101 today. It talks about Korean Internet...can we have such a lesson in Jpod101 too. I would like to know more about the Japanese internet culture.

josiah
Expert on Something

Postby josiah » February 22nd, 2008 1:46 am

えーーと あれワーターくん、オタクじゃね? 
あなたの敵を許しなさい。だが、その名前は決して忘れるな

デスノートにお前の名前書くぞ!!

Get 40% OFF
watermen
Expert on Something

Postby watermen » February 22nd, 2008 3:46 am

josiah wrote:えーーと あれワーターくん、オタクじゃね? 

ワーターくん...what does this word mean? I can't find it in the dictionary.

Jason
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Postby Jason » February 22nd, 2008 7:14 am

watermen wrote:
josiah wrote:えーーと あれワーターくん、オタクじゃね? 

ワーターくん...what does this word mean? I can't find it in the dictionary.

I think he's referring to you, "water-kun."
Jason
Manager of Mobile & Mac Applications

Javizy
Expert on Something

Postby Javizy » February 22nd, 2008 10:45 am

I know it's not necessary to talk as politely as Japanese do to each other, but isn't that like 'eerrr, like Wartie, you're a geek, ain'tcha, boy?'.

What was the Internet lesson about? If it was help browsing web pages, that could be good, although I don't know how they could go through things like filling out an order form in an audio lesson.

josiah
Expert on Something

Postby josiah » February 22nd, 2008 1:11 pm

ROLFMAO :lol:
やぁ、ジャビー!オレ、いつも敬語使えないんだよなー。だってさ、ちょっと使えるだ。
すいません、ジャビーさん。:wink:

Javizy wrote:I know it's not necessary to talk as politely as Japanese do to each other, but isn't that like 'eerrr, like Wartie, you're a geek, ain'tcha, boy?'.

What was the Internet lesson about? If it was help browsing web pages, that could be good, although I don't know how they could go through things like filling out an order form in an audio lesson.

デスノートにお前の名前書くぞ!!

watermen
Expert on Something

Postby watermen » February 22nd, 2008 2:33 pm

Javizy wrote:I know it's not necessary to talk as politely as Japanese do to each other, but isn't that like 'eerrr, like Wartie, you're a geek, ain'tcha, boy?'.

Thanks for translating. I understand now.

Here is that Kclass101 lesson that I loved the most.
http://www.koreanclass101.com/2008/01/3 ... ber-korea/

I really hope Jpod101 can have something like that..this is way way better than sight and sound. The response of that lesson was very good too. I really hope Jpod101 can consider doing similar things.

It seems to me that Kclass101 is having a lot of innovative idea...can we have some in Jpod101 too?
Last edited by watermen on February 22nd, 2008 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

watermen
Expert on Something

Postby watermen » February 22nd, 2008 2:36 pm

josiah wrote:ROLFMAO :lol:

What is だってさ? I know だって means "however", but what about that さ? What does it mean?

Javizy
Expert on Something

Postby Javizy » February 22nd, 2008 2:53 pm

watermen wrote:

What is だってさ? I know だって means "however", but what about that さ? What does it mean?

You can add most so-called sentence ending particles at other breaks in the sentence to convey a softened nuance, or to buy some time. They don't really change the meaning when you translate.

私はね、 As for me, (girly)
でもね、 But, (girly)
だけどさ、 But,
僕はな、 As for me, (masculine)

You'd translate them more in tone with the rest of the sentence, but hopefully that makes it clear enough.

watermen
Expert on Something

Postby watermen » February 22nd, 2008 3:00 pm

Javizy wrote:
watermen wrote:

You can add most so-called sentence ending particles at other breaks in the sentence to convey a softened nuance, or to buy some time. They don't really change the meaning when you translate.

私はね、 As for me, (girly)
でもね、 But, (girly)
だけどさ、 But,

You'd translate them more in tone with the rest of the sentence, but hopefully that makes it clear enough.

So how do I know when to use さ and な? Thanks again.

Jason

Postby Jason » February 22nd, 2008 9:32 pm

watermen wrote:
Javizy wrote:
watermen wrote:

私はね、 As for me, (girly)
でもね、 But, (girly)
だけどさ、 But,

So how do I know when to use さ and な? Thanks again.

This is very informal speech. There really aren't any rules when it comes to filler words. It would be like trying to tell someone when they should use "umm" versus "uhh" in English. You just use the one that comes to mind first. な does have a somewhat 'harder" feel than さ though. At this point in your learning, though, it's not really something you should be too concerned about.
Jason

Jason

Postby Jason » February 22nd, 2008 9:39 pm

josiah wrote:オレ、いつも敬語使えないんだよなー。だってさ、ちょっと使えるだ。

You have some pretty serious errors here. Let me translate what you've said here:

"I always can't use honorific language. So I can use it a bit."

I'm not really sure what you were trying to say here. I can tell you, however, that you can't use いつも with a negative verb, not even in informal speech. The "negative' version of いつも is 全然.
Jason

Javizy
Expert on Something

Postby Javizy » February 22nd, 2008 11:29 pm

Jason wrote:
josiah wrote:オレ、いつも敬語使えないんだよなー。だってさ、ちょっと使えるだ。

You have some pretty serious errors here. Let me translate what you've said here:

"I always can't use honorific language. So I can use it a bit."

I'm not really sure what you were trying to say here. I can tell you, however, that you can't use いつも with a negative verb, not even in informal speech. The "negative' version of いつも is 全然.

I think he was trying to say he can't bare using teinei-go all the time, but he'll try a little (for me). Focusing on casual speech first can't be too good for your grammar, there are enough blanks to fill in with polite sentences, so it must be easy to lose your bearings.

I'm guessing that Watermen is older than him, so wouldn't that make the use of 'kun' pretty condescending? That's why I added the 'boy' to the translation.

josiah
Expert on Something

Postby josiah » February 23rd, 2008 12:54 am

Ah sorry guys, I just thought I'd have a little bit of a joke.
As for my Japanese, my own grammar is appalling, but I personally go by the method of use it or lose it, even if it isn't very good i can always accept corrections from others.
Thank you both.
Most of my friends around me use informal Japanese, so my formal Japanese isn't very good either, but if I can understand what is said I always get by.
オレ、全然敬語使えないんだよなー。だってさ、ちょっと使えるだ。
Is that what you meant?
私は全然使えません。
Would that be correct?
Again, if anyone was offended,
ごめんなさい

デスノートにお前の名前書くぞ!!

Javizy
Expert on Something

Postby Javizy » February 24th, 2008 7:00 pm

josiah wrote:Ah sorry guys, I just thought I'd have a little bit of a joke.
As for my Japanese, my own grammar is appalling, but I personally go by the method of use it or lose it, even if it isn't very good i can always accept corrections from others.
Thank you both.
Most of my friends around me use informal Japanese, so my formal Japanese isn't very good either, but if I can understand what is said I always get by.
オレ、全然敬語使えないんだよなー。だってさ、ちょっと使えるだ。
Is that what you meant?
私は全然使えません。
Would that be correct?
Again, if anyone was offended,
ごめんなさい

I doubt anyone was offended, but you might want to watch out when you post on Japanese forums. From what I've seen, regular semiformal 丁寧語 is the norm when it comes to Internet-based situations like this (check the comments/forum at EnglishPod), you only need to use 敬語 in extremely formal (usually business) situations. I think a lot of people here are probably 敬語音痴 :lol:

「私は全然使えません」that looks right to me.

Return to “Japanese Lesson Suggestions”