a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Point Cards

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

Alpo
New in Town

Point Cards

Postby Alpo » October 28th, 2007 5:44 am

I'd like to see a lesson based around the "point card" system.

For those who've ever taken a basic conversational course, then travelled to Japan; those ubiquitous point cards will be a bump in the road the first time or two a cashier brings the subject up. :shock:

markystar
Site Admin

Postby markystar » October 28th, 2007 10:44 am

hmmmm...
interesting. (each store tends to have their own unique system, so.... what kinda stuff should we include about them?
ねぇ、ねぇ、私前にバンドキャンプでさ…

Get 40% OFF
Alpo
New in Town

Postby Alpo » October 29th, 2007 12:16 am

You're right. Each store has their own. Gamer's will definitely not be happy when you show up w/ an Animate card LOL! :lol:

A general scenario around an (unspecified store's) cashier asking a customer if they have a card, would they like a card, etc. Maybe how to gracisouly decline the offer of starting a card, if that seems like a reasonable conclusion to the conversation.

I guess the point is that often times in convesational classes, the lessons are expressed in a "A says this, B replies with that" progression. Almost anything that can cause a deviation from that path is trouble for a person with limited vocabulary, or limited experience under such stressful conditions. It's been my experience that shopping is a big part of most vacations, so lessons centered around those types of topics pique my interest. :wink:

Thanks for lending an ear!

markystar
Site Admin

Postby markystar » October 29th, 2007 12:48 am

for the time being...

i don't know how gracious it is, but a good way to refuse things is 結構です (kekkou desu). "no thanks, i'm fine." be sure to emphasize the す (su) to raise the politeness level.

i'll talk with the writers today and see what we can come up with.
ねぇ、ねぇ、私前にバンドキャンプでさ…

Return to “Japanese Lesson Suggestions”