a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

At the movies

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

gjarrett
New in Town

At the movies

Postby gjarrett » September 12th, 2007 4:30 am

Why not from time to time, to a three-part series on a MAJOR movie release (recent, we can rent). The lesson could focus on useful vocab and expressions to look for in the movie.... Meanwhile, Peter can learn about Miyazaki......

Ulver_684
Expert on Something

Re: At the movies

Postby Ulver_684 » December 2nd, 2007 4:45 am

gjarrett wrote:Why not from time to time, to a three-part series on a MAJOR movie release (recent, we can rent). The lesson could focus on useful vocab and expressions to look for in the movie.... Meanwhile, Peter can learn about Miyazaki......

Gjarret-san! :wink:

Great idea, I love going to the movies or watch them at home on cable not on satellite! :wink:

Get 40% OFF
joelk
New in Town

Postby joelk » May 6th, 2010 4:27 am

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I think this is a great idea. I thought of something like this while I was watching a movie tonight. It'd be great to have a few lessons to prepare for a movie, maybe they could be broken into lower, intermediate and advanced vocab/phrases to know and look for in the movie. There could also be a follow-up lesson that can include spoilers so you can talk about specific scenes with regards to the language and how it was used.

I would say it doesn't have to be only new releases, but probably stick to either newer movies or classic/well known movies that are easy to rent, etc.

Taurus
Expert on Something

Postby Taurus » May 6th, 2010 6:46 am

There is some pretty interesting stuff aimed at Japanese learners of English based around learning from movies. There is a series of annotated screenplays, for example, and there is a series of movies that come on USB sticks that you can watch on your computer with the Japanese and English text and annotations running alongside/underneath the movie. I wish there was more stuff like this for English learners of Japanese.

I actually ripped all of my Ghibli DVDs to my ipod as sound files, and have been gradually making Anki flashcards from Japanese subtitle files that I found on the internet. (Unusually, the Ghibli subtitles are as spoken - I understand that a lot of Japanese movie subtitles tend to paraphrase what the actors are saying, so they won't match the sound files.)

Return to “Japanese Lesson Suggestions”