a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

How to swear properly

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

tarokun
Been Around a Bit

How to swear properly

Postby tarokun » May 3rd, 2006 9:13 am

Curses are the first thing I learn whenever I start to learn a new language. They can tell much about the culture and beliefs of the people who speaks that language.

So, as vulgar as the suggestion sounds, I am very curious what kind of things Japanese say to curse and swear. At least then I know when I'm being cursed at. :)

Hope this didn't offend many people.
かなりの偏食なのでいろいろありすぎ。

The Frankensteiner
Expert on Something

Postby The Frankensteiner » May 3rd, 2006 11:06 am

The only one I've ever heard is:
"Kuso!"
Usually drawn out...Kusssssoooooo!

I hear the word in Japanese media and I've seen it subtitled as like 3 or 4 different English swears. So I don't know if it's the universal Japanese swear or if there are more.

EDIT: I just found out another one.
Chikushou = Damn it
I think that's right any ways.
Find out what it's like to live, work and play in Japan!
http://guzenmedia.com/

Get 40% OFF
Jason
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Postby Jason » May 3rd, 2006 3:57 pm

If I were you, I wouldn't bank on actually getting a lesson on this...

Once you think about it, the title of this thread is kind of an oxymoron. :mrgreen:
Jason
Manager of Mobile & Mac Applications

The Frankensteiner
Expert on Something

Postby The Frankensteiner » May 3rd, 2006 4:08 pm

Haha, yeah that's true. They're not going to make a lesson on this. All the help you're going to get on the subject will probably be right in this thread. :wink:

tarokun
Been Around a Bit

Postby tarokun » May 3rd, 2006 7:40 pm

Hehe... Well I was hoping it could be one of the "Culture Class."

Oh come on, loosen up. Swearing is a large part of informal speech. Beside, it would be fun to see the jpod crew loose some composure on air. :lol:
かなりの偏食なのでいろいろありすぎ。

Jason

Postby Jason » May 3rd, 2006 7:48 pm

I don't know how they apply to podcasts, but Japan also has some pretty strict broadcasting decency laws. I don't want to see them fined or jailed or anything.
Jason

JockZon
Expert on Something

Postby JockZon » May 3rd, 2006 7:54 pm

Do you count the podcast as broadcasting at all in law?

Satsujin
Established Presence

Postby Satsujin » May 9th, 2006 7:09 pm

Gee I know tons of bad words in Japanese but I a would be afraid of getting banned if I started posting them. I'm talking about the kinds of words the Japanese media bleeps out.

BTW kuso l think that kuso means "shit". Here are some more ones that are on the tamer side (and ones that mostly every one knows)

baka/ahou - Both mean idiot or stupid. I think ahou is stronger than baka in Kanto but vice-versa in Kansai.

bakayaro - Is just an application of baka (yaro being a harsh very impolite way to address someone)

If you really want a comprehensive list of bad words in Japanese check out this site:

http://www.insultmonger.com/swearing/japanese.htm

I would use these with caution as you could get into a lot of trouble using these improperly. I have always found that when speaking in a language other than English (my native language) I am less inhibited in the things that I will say. I also tend to be more direct as I often don't have the vocabulary to say things delicately. This has sometimes resulted in people taking offense.

In other words don't use these words unless you are very good friends with the person you are talking with and they will understand that you are only joking or unless you really have a good understanding of the language and have a understanding of the full meaning and consequences of using them.

If you do use them there are two likely outcomes. (1) The other person will laugh at you as it sounds so ridiculous for such rude words to come from a non-native speaker. (2) They will take you seriously and try to kick your ass or never talk to you again.

JockZon
Expert on Something

Postby JockZon » May 9th, 2006 7:37 pm

Yeah I know that one, being to direct. My English teacher is from Canada and when we want any help from him I sometimes says that we're to direct when we translates our swedish into english. We say: "Can you come and help me?" but then he sometimes says that we should say something like: Could you please give me some help? or something like that 8)

Luckely he doesn't get offended because he know that we are just speaking "swenglish" and that we are that direct in our native language

kinoko
Been Around a Bit

Postby kinoko » May 9th, 2006 11:57 pm

Even if you won't use them [much :roll: ], it's useful to understand them. But I dunno if they would really do this...

btw, tarokun, does your name have anything to do with flcl?
the early bird may get the worm, but the late-rising worm lives.

Jason

Postby Jason » May 10th, 2006 12:13 am

Satsujin wrote:http://www.insultmonger.com/swearing/japanese.htm

I've seen that list before. Some of the words are spelled wrong. And some of it's just flat-out wrong. Like, how exactly is 宇宙人(うちゅうじん)/alien an insult? And "Anata wa dame desu" is probably the most polite insult I've ever heard. So bear this in mind if you read the list.
Jason

tarokun
Been Around a Bit

Postby tarokun » May 10th, 2006 3:48 am

okie... now that i've seen this list, i don't think I want anyone, much less our beloved jpod crew, to utter any of these in any lessons ever.

I have to apologize that I'd even brought up this topic. Sorry, mina-san!

kinoko,
Yea, you got it. Wow, I didn't think anyone would pick that up. Seems like flcl is only popular within the otaku circle. :D
かなりの偏食なのでいろいろありすぎ。

Jason

Postby Jason » May 10th, 2006 3:51 am

I loved FLCL. :)

</off-topic>
Jason

Satsujin
Established Presence

Postby Satsujin » May 11th, 2006 2:55 pm

Yeah, I noticed the list had some errors in it also. But I wouldn't want to post the the words myself (especially the ones that are correct) and unless you can tell which ones are correct and which ones are wrong and when it is appropriate to use them you are better off not using them at all. Although, I take the point that they might be good to know in case someone else uses them (although not likely).

metablue
Expert on Something

Postby metablue » May 11th, 2006 4:15 pm

I have a really interesting book called "Beyond Polite Japanese - a dictionary of Japanese slang and colloquialisms" by Akihiko Yonekawa.

There are swear words in there for sure, but it's not nearly as revolting as the page above, and they're put in context. And there's plenty of fascinating non-obscene slang. That might be more the kind of thing you're looking for.

Return to “Japanese Lesson Suggestions”