a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Japanese Nonverbal Cues

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

digitaljo
Been Around a Bit

Japanese Nonverbal Cues

Postby digitaljo » February 2nd, 2007 9:56 am

I would like to make a suggestion about learning Nonverbal Cues, in terms of body movements. I admit that Nonverbal cues change over time so what happens a few years ago may not apply to now, or same in the future. I also know that us foreigners are not expected to act in a Japanese manner. Even the interpretation of nonverbal cues changes from person to person. I still find it interesting about certain movements that Japanese people do.

I have a couple of stories about this: :D

- When I was in Japan, my friend was talking to her friend. After introducing me, they had their conversation and I noticed that my friend's friend was smiling and waving her hand in front of her face. After parting, I asked, "Why was she waving her hand? I didn't smell anything bad." :P My friend said, "She was denying something."

- When I was in Sapporo, I went to the Midori no Madoguchi (JR Reservation Ticket Offices) to reserve sleeper train that goes to Ueno, the hokutosei (北斗星). The lady who was helping me get the tickets was always looking to my right (her left). I mean is her face was not directly looking at me. Everytime she would talk to me she would look away and carry on with the conversation. If she was talking to someone else, her coworkers, her face would be in the same direction. I don't think I'm that ugly to be looked away. :? maybe :oops: I was a bit angry because she was not looking at me, but that is how my American standards are. How important is eye conact in certain situations? Is it often that you are not supposed to look at someone in the face?

Also if some can verify some of these nonverbal cues:
- Is The American OK sign* the same for money (おかね). If this is true, how would the situation take place to use this cue.
- When handing money to the cashier, the money should be facing up. Is there some superstition or belief to this? Is this even true?

I hope my situations can help a bit.

Could you also teach us even more Noverbal Cues?

この話題を教えてくれませんか。よろしくお願いします。 (Did I say this correctly: Could you teach us this topic?)

* For those who don't know what I mean, the OK sign is when you touch the thumb and pointer finger together and the three other fingers are straight or naturally cruved.

annie
Expert on Something

Re: Japanese Nonverbal Cues

Postby annie » February 2nd, 2007 10:41 am

That would be a really interesting culture class.

digitaljo wrote:
When I was in Japan, my friend was talking to her friend. After introducing me, they had their conversation and I noticed that my friend's friend was smiling and waving her hand in front of her face. After parting, I asked, "Why was she waving her hand? I didn't smell anything bad." :P My friend said, "She was denying something."

Yep, do that one all of the time.

- When I was in Sapporo, I went to the Midori no Madoguchi (JR Reservation Ticket Offices) to reserve sleeper train that goes to Ueno, the hokutosei (北斗星). The lady who was helping me get the tickets was always looking to my right (her left). I mean is her face was not directly looking at me. Everytime she would talk to me she would look away and carry on with the conversation. If she was talking to someone else, her coworkers, her face would be in the same direction. I don't think I'm that ugly to be looked away. :? maybe :oops: I was a bit angry because she was not looking at me, but that is how my American standards are. How important is eye conact in certain situations? Is it often that you are not supposed to look at someone in the face?

eye contact is too personal for someone who you don't know. in fact, even with people you're friendly with, i don't think it would be weird to still not make eye contact.

Also if some can verify some of these nonverbal cues:
- Is The American OK sign* the same for money (おかね). If this is true, how would the situation take place to use this cue.
- When handing money to the cashier, the money should be facing up. Is there some superstition or belief to this? Is this even true?

the sign for money and American OK are the same finger position, but you hold your hand a bit differently. i think the three straight finger run horizontal rather than vertical.

I'm not sure about what way the bills should face (though, I do always place mine face up), but rather than handing the money to the cashier it's better to place it on the little money tray by the register.

Could you also teach us even more Noverbal Cues?

-When talking about yourself, point to your nose rather than your chest.
-When having a conversation, nod frequently and say "nn" "nnn" a lot- it shows that you're paying attention
-We beckon people differently here too- but I can't remember which is which now.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Get 40% OFF Forever Discount
Belton
Expert on Something

Postby Belton » February 2nd, 2007 12:01 pm

It'd make a really good lesson. Maybe with video demos by Yoshi-san or an in the field secret filming!

--The money thing.

I didn't know about the money being face-up.

Once a shopowner took the money I had placed on the counter and very deliberately placed it on the little money tray before picking it up again to put it in the cash register.

Change also gets put on the tray not into your hand. I think. You should take and offer things with both hands. I noticed this with credit cards.

Oh and paper money always seems to be crisp if not new. Guys should probably use a wallet and not just stuff notes into their pocket.
I was very embarrassed to hand over some rather sodden money when it got very hot and mushiatsui in the summer!

I'm not sure if giving over a lot of change is a good thing to do either. (getting rid of all the change in your pocket at a shop)

--Beckoning someone.

It's done palm down and sometimes looks like waving I think.

hand upwards (Western way, I suppose) is how you'd beckon an animal apparently.

--The eye contact and aizuchi (the encouraging listening sounds) are interesting.
(My Japanese teacher says she was really thrown at first when English people didn't do this)
It's completely the opposite of what is standard practice in TV interviews.
A colleague once asked me how it worked in Japan where he was going to do media training. I never did figure it out completely. I think the best answer I could come up with through Japanese friends was they follow the Western model of TV. (however I have heard aizuchi laden interviews on making-ofs)
BTW the other interesting things I've noticed with Japanese TV is the huge amount of text and subtitling they use. And also the odd little presenter watching and reacting to a report in a small window on the screen. Almost as if the audience needs to be shown how to react.

The other body language thing I noticed a lot is the hand to face one by girls.

And the crossed index fingers making an x, when saying something isn't possible. (It was the museum was closed, if I remember) more forceful, male maybe, was a an arm crossing gesture to make an x. (だめだよ!w)

--books
The mangajin compilations had a chapter on gestures.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Basic-Japanese- ... 834804530/

and I came across a little book of Japanese body language once. I'm sorry I didn't buy it I haven't seen it since but am reminded of it now.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/70-Japanese-Ges ... 933330015/

Alan
Expert on Something

Postby Alan » February 2nd, 2007 5:56 pm

I think it would make a great video too.

In the meantime, the top 4 of these youtube videos are worth a look
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=japanese+gestures&search=Search

digitaljo
Been Around a Bit

Re: Japanese Nonverbal Cues

Postby digitaljo » February 3rd, 2007 2:49 am

Annie-san, Belton-san, Alan-san. Thank you for you help and the knowledge you shared! I really hope JPOD can pull through with this topic :D

annie wrote: eye contact is too personal for someone who you don't know. in fact, even with people you're friendly with, i don't think it would be weird to still not make eye contact.

I guess I can understand that. I was a bit irritated because, it felt like I was just being ignored. In other stores and business places I went to, the workers would at least look at my face for a bit while talking to me. :roll: It can't be helped. しょうがないでしょ。

Belton wrote: It'd make a really good lesson. Maybe with video demos by Yoshi-san or an in the field secret filming!

I think so too!! :D Hopefully we can get other JPOD crew members to get in on the action. The "in the field secret filming" would be awesome! To see how people act in everyday life in everyday situations with the gestures and pointing them out.

Alan wrote: In the meantime, the top 4 of these youtube videos are worth a look
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... rch=Search

Thank you for the links! I enjoyed watching the videos! :D

Another question: Are there cues that are gender specific? You don't want to perfrom a cue to find out its for the opposite gender, unless it's your intention. :)

Return to “Japanese Lesson Suggestions”