a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

iLearning - adding audio links to Translation notes

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

gaijinda
New in Town

iLearning - adding audio links to Translation notes

Postby gaijinda » December 19th, 2006 5:53 pm

I've been using the iLearning center lately and really love it! One the problems I've always faced (and I've heard this same comment from other people learning a foreign language) is that it is easier to HEAR Japanese than it is to SPEAK it. It's not so much the pronounciation, but just thinking of the right words to say.

One thing I've been playing with in the iLearning center is using the Translation notes for drill work. I've gone back through beginner lessons 2 through 40 and added xml coding so each line of English links to the corresponding Japanese audio clip.

I read the English line then try to say the equivalent Japanese. If I can't think of it, I just click on the link, play the clip and then say it a few times. I'm hoping that by repeated drills, my speed and speaking ability will improve.

I've found that if I can say it in Japanese, I have no problem hearing it in Japanese.

I've also found that drilling this way (on whole sentences) is a better way to learn new vocabulary. Memorizing new words in context seems to work better than just memorizing them one at a time (i.e., flash cards).

I don't know if anyone else would find this helpful, but adding links to the audio clips inside the Translation notes might be something to consider. If the jpod101 tech folks want them, I'd be happy to send in my revised files for the first 40 beginner lessons.

Thanks,
John Pfeifer
Get 40% OFF

Return to “Feature Requests”