Or sign up using Facebook

MyWords for the iPhone

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

macbrendan
New in Town

MyWords for the iPhone

Postby macbrendan » August 17th, 2008 6:23 am

Hi,

Has anyone used the new MyWords app for the iPhone?

Any reviews, thoughts, opinions on it?

Cheers!

Foniks
New in Town

Postby Foniks » August 19th, 2008 11:15 am

Yeah - I bought it a couple of days ago. It's a great idea, and seems really useful. I could see myself using this app a lot. The interface is very simple and nice to work with.

Pros:
- Simple interface
- Updated daily, can store already downloaded words for later study
- Includes a simple matching game where you match the meaning to the word (in Japanese)

Cons:
- Doesn't appear to be a way to stop the app from downloading data - BAD news for those on limited data plans like us poor Australians
- For some reason the matching game only works on the daily word list
- Not really a con, but the choice of words really stood out as being... "eclectic". :)

I think it's a good start for sure - A few things off the top of my head that I could think to improve it:

- Ability to select words from the word bank list to be used in the minigame
- Optional download of new words (customisable through settings etc)
- Sample sentences for some of the more unusual words / phrases
- Ability to send all daily words to the stored list with a single button press (honestly not sure what the app does if you don't store your daily words and new data is downloaded)

Get 32% OFF Premium & Premium PLUS
markystar
Site Admin

Postby markystar » August 20th, 2008 7:33 am

this was our first foray into the iphone/itouch application realm. there will be more to come, i'm quite sure.

the coolest thing for me is the voice recorder tool. so you can try to get the pitch accent right. i find it's even better for that purpose than the the review track. 8)
ねぇ、ねぇ、私前にバンドキャンプでさ…

Foniks
New in Town

Postby Foniks » August 20th, 2008 2:44 pm

Yes, the voice recorder tool is great! Noticed a bug today though... If there are two words the same in the list, you may only ever add one of them to the word bank. I.e. Today there were two defs for the word joke, but I could only add one to the word bank.

thdhulst
New in Town

Postby thdhulst » September 2nd, 2008 9:49 pm

this looks like a neat app indeed. Is this included in the premium subscription?

i hope so...

thd.

Hamiltoons
New in Town

Postby Hamiltoons » September 4th, 2008 10:03 pm

thdhulst wrote:this looks like a neat app indeed. Is this included in the premium subscription?

i hope so...

thd.

It's not included. You have to purchase it from the App Store on iTunes.

I had a problem with it recently where clicking on the Add button said that audio was not available.

Return to “Feature Requests”