a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Tablet writing practice

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

Tinkerbell
New in Town

Tablet writing practice

Postby Tinkerbell » July 26th, 2008 10:16 am

My BF just bought a tablet PC, and I've been playing around with writing and drawing on it, and one thing that hit me is that there are many nice kanji recognition software out there, but no kanji writing software, and I think there is a market for it.
Now, it is possible that this has been suggested before, but I don't really have time to look through all the topics.
The thing is that printing out all the kanji practice sheets is expensive, and I have got tons of them lying around everywhere, what I would like is a program that would let me practice the kanji on the tablet, and who would tell me if I have written it in the wrong strokeorder, if some lines should be longer/shorter, maybe you could save your earlier tries and compare to the new ones, and if there was a kanji dictionary built in that would be great.
I would be willing to pay extra for this software and updates, but it would be great if it was included in the premium membership. I know it is a lot of work, but it would be a great way to learn writing. I think that it should be compatible with tablet PCs, PDAs and maybe Iphones too, to widen the market. Maybe even for DS (so that I could download it to a cart), I know I bring my DS with me everywhere, and it would be great to be able to practice on the bus and such. Yes I know I can buy DS games that let you practice kanji, but the import tax in Norway is insane, so downloading would be prefered.

Anyway, I think maybe many people would use and enjoy a sofware like this, and it would be a great addition to this site.

PS: I would be willing to betatest all you want XD

Belton
Expert on Something

Postby Belton » July 26th, 2008 2:22 pm

Software like you describe is already available for the DS
It would be nice to see them on the Mac, or the PC. (Maybe the iPhone if they would make pen based input)
English versions could make my life a bit easier. But somehow I think the audience for translations of Brain Training and Cooking programs seem larger than the potential Japanese learning audience.
Decent handwriting recognition would also be on my wish list too.

Unfortunately if these are ever developed it will be in Japan and perhaps under the non-Japanese radar so to speak.
The jPod people are good but developing software of this complexity may well be beyond them at the moment.

DS software I like.

美文字トレーニング
I've found this has improved my kanji a bit since i started using it. and introduced me to new kanji.
The drawback of course is that it is meant for Japanese adults so I often haven't a clue about some parts of it and need to look up meanings a lot.
The limitations of the DS means while it teaches balance, shape and order it can't really teach brushwork.
The included plastic brush is now my favourite DS pointing device.

なぞっておぼえる大人の漢字練習完全版
This doesn't teach penmanship but does use handwriting to teach kanji reading and writing. Again it's for Japanese adults so it can be a bit hard.

正しい漢字かきとりくん
This one I haven't got yet but my GF is bringing it over to me next week.
This combines aspects of the previous 2 titles. So not only do you write kanji but the program wants you to write them neatly.
It's aimed at primary school children and combines teaching kanji readings with penmanship. It might be more suitable for me.

Get 32% OFF Premium & Premium PLUS
Tinkerbell
New in Town

Postby Tinkerbell » July 26th, 2008 6:21 pm

I have found these:
http://www.amazon.co.jp/s/ref=nb_ss_b?__mk_ja_JP=%83J%83%5E%83J%83i&url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=%8A%BF%8E%9A%82%BB%82%CC%82%DC%82%DC%82c%82r%8Ay%88%F8%8E%AB%93T&x=8&y=20
But they are over the import tax limit, so they become crazy expensive.
But thank you very much for the links, I will look closer into it.
I still would like something downloadable thou. Something lesson specific maybe, that would be nice I think=D

graynod
New in Town

Kageyama Method: Tadashii Kanji Kakitori-Kun

Postby graynod » September 5th, 2008 1:15 pm

I just got my copy of Kageyama Method: Tadashii Kanji Kakitori-Kun from here: http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-9g-49-en-70-2c9x.html. Took about 2 weeks to get here by the way.

I was really worried I would have to wait to "level up" to use it, but I was able to pretty quickly get to trying the drills. I've gone through the kana just to play around.

A lot of words are over my head so I have to look them up, but there is furigana to help and it's cool to have to learn a few new words (画面, がめん, the game screen!). So definitely keep a dictionary handy, I keep JWPce open & use its dictionary to quickly look up stuff.

A couple of times I had trouble writing the kana correctly, which was puzzling. く, for example, I know I have the stroke order right! So I turned the guide image on and traced it and did OK.

Yes, I think this is going to be an excellent tool to help me learn kanji. It's keeping me hooked (er, up till 2am last night... :oops: ), it's cute and fun, and everything is in one small portable package.

Now I'm waiting for my pre-order of "My Japanese Coach" to come in!

Ganbatte, minna-san!

Return to “Feature Requests”