a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

How about SURVIVAL SLANG as a series

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

bleedseason86
New in Town

How about SURVIVAL SLANG as a series

Postby bleedseason86 » April 24th, 2008 2:51 am

I always find it extremely useful when you include more slangy japanese in the lessons, and I think it would be a very fun series for all if you would consider doing a series focused on Slang. Anybody else think so?

watermen
Expert on Something

Re: How about SURVIVAL SLANG as a series

Postby watermen » April 24th, 2008 3:53 am

bleedseason86 wrote:I always find it extremely useful when you include more slangy japanese in the lessons, and I think it would be a very fun series for all if you would consider doing a series focused on Slang. Anybody else think so?

This is a fantastic idea. I hope Jpod101 can create some new kind of lessons.

Get 30% OFF Premium & Premium PLUS
sTeVe aUsTiN
Been Around a Bit

Postby sTeVe aUsTiN » April 24th, 2008 7:32 am

There's so much slang in a lot of the conversations already! :lol:

markystar
Site Admin

Postby markystar » April 24th, 2008 10:35 am

There's so much slang in a lot of the conversations already!

that's an understatement. LOL

we don't have anything like this planned at the moment, but i wouldn't be surprised if we took a similar approach at some point. thanks for the suggestion, and keep 'em coming!! :D
ねぇ、ねぇ、私前にバンドキャンプでさ…

Knocks
Been Around a Bit

Postby Knocks » April 30th, 2008 7:16 am

I don't care so much for slang as for regular, friendly, informal Japanese--similar to what was included in some beginner bonus tracks.

I started learning Japanese with Pimsleur, and now it really annoys me that when I try to think of a verb, I first think of a -masu form and then have to "convert" it to a dictionary form. It impedes my communications with my Japanese friends who don't expect formal Japanese from me, obviously. I will say a sentence and almost force myself to leave out "desu" because I'm so used to it after so many lessons. Native speakers don't "think" in polite Japanese, and I would find a series dedicated entirely to informal conversations really helpful.

Of course, I understand that polite Japanese is very important, especially when speaking to strangers, but you already have 7 or so series teaching it. Informal language has its rules and grammar, too, and a bunch of bonus tracks simply aren't enough. So once again, I clamor for a new, informal series.
Last edited by Knocks on April 30th, 2008 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

sTeVe aUsTiN
Been Around a Bit

Postby sTeVe aUsTiN » April 30th, 2008 7:33 am

What do you mean? I've heard informal conversations in every level except newbie. (I don't listen to newbie, so maybe they do it there too and I missed it)

Knocks
Been Around a Bit

Postby Knocks » April 30th, 2008 8:10 am

sTeVe aUsTiN wrote:What do you mean? I've heard informal conversations in every level except newbie. (I don't listen to newbie, so maybe they do it there too and I missed it)

I have listened to all newbie and survival lessons, as well as beginner lessons 1 through 82. Nothing informal yet other than a bonus track here and there. Does that change later on?

sTeVe aUsTiN
Been Around a Bit

Postby sTeVe aUsTiN » April 30th, 2008 8:33 am

Yeah, definitely. Some of the recent lessons use really casual/everyday Japanese. I can't recall for sure, but I think the beginners get casual around 100. 8)

kitty-chan
Established Presence

Postby kitty-chan » April 30th, 2008 8:38 am

It starts with Brothers, Brothers/Sisters, Sisters :ooen: :kokoro: :ooen:

sTeVe aUsTiN
Been Around a Bit

Postby sTeVe aUsTiN » April 30th, 2008 8:49 am

That's it!

I just checked, lesson 117 is the sisters episode.

Knocks
Been Around a Bit

Postby Knocks » April 30th, 2008 9:13 am

Duly noted, thank you. 35 lessons to go until I"m in informal land then. :techprob:

untmdsprt
Expert on Something

Postby untmdsprt » June 24th, 2008 9:41 pm

I actually use very polite Japanese with one of my friends. Keeps him on his toes, and gets a good laugh out of it. Especially after I ask if these are correct: ここに幽霊がいます。あそこに死体があります。 :D

At least I'm learning new words to plug into the example sentences!

Another friend gets the words ひめさま added to her name. She's always going out with her umbrella in the sunshine. :shock:

Psy
Expert on Something

Postby Psy » June 25th, 2008 1:00 am

untmdsprt wrote:ここに幽霊がいます。あそこに死体があります。 :D

Thanks for that, mate. It made me smile. :)
High time to finish what I've started. || Anki vocabulary drive: 5,000/10k. Restart coming soon. || Dig my Road to Katakana tutorial on the App store.

markystar
Site Admin

Postby markystar » June 27th, 2008 1:02 pm

yuuki and i are currently planning a series tentatively called 暑い日本語 and we'll be covering neologisms, trendy words, slang and slang from different subcultures. it's gonna be a lot of fun!!

8)
ねぇ、ねぇ、私前にバンドキャンプでさ…

Return to “Feature Requests”