a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

help for newbies

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

thdhulst
New in Town

help for newbies

Postby thdhulst » February 13th, 2008 3:48 pm

Hi, i'm new here (hajimemashite to all of you) and i'm trying to figure out what the best way to start out learning japanese (from zero knowledge) is.

unfortunately i haven't got much time to look around the website, but i'm commuting so i downloaded and listened to a couple lessons (which are really well constructed) and i printed some notes which i try to study. Doing so, i wasn't sure what level to start on. I noticed that the beginner and newbie lessons somewhat overlap...

Anyway, i guess that my question is: is there any application for noobs like me which directs you through the different lessons and the different levels, or are we just supposed to look around and try out what we like. (in brief: im looking for some kind of tutorial to guide me through the various possibilities of this website to make sure i'm using it to its full potential and in the most effective way).

thx.

th.

Jason
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Postby Jason » February 13th, 2008 7:30 pm

We used to have a beginner's syllabus like outline around here somewhere. Ah, here it is!

http://www.japanesepod101.com/toc-beginner/
Jason
Manager of Mobile & Mac Applications

Get 32% OFF Premium & Premium PLUS
Psy
Expert on Something

Re: help for newbies

Postby Psy » February 13th, 2008 9:06 pm

thdhulst wrote:Hi, i'm new here (hajimemashite to all of you) and i'm trying to figure out what the best way to start out learning japanese (from zero knowledge) is.

Hajimemashite and a warm welcome to you on behalf of the community! I would advise starting straight from Lesson #01 of the beginner series, season 1. It goes slowly for about the first 30 lessons, but after that things really start to pick up, and you'll soon be amazed at your own progress. Any difficulties you encounter, of course, can be directed here.

unfortunately i haven't got much time to look around the website, but i'm commuting so i downloaded and listened to a couple lessons (which are really well constructed) and i printed some notes which i try to study. Doing so, i wasn't sure what level to start on. I noticed that the beginner and newbie lessons somewhat overlap...

Both Newbie and Beginner S1 start from the ground up, however their focuses are different (This is my impression but, frankly, since I'm bored by them, I've only spent a small amount of time in the newbie lessons): Beginner moves a lot faster and continues climbing the ladder towards low-intermediate with the goal of a long. comprehensive, and dedicated study of the language; Newbie moves more slowly and focuses more on situational expressions for learners who "need to get by." I think that for you, as a new student, you should study Beginner for a time, and switch to Newbie during those times when you feel overwhelmed and need a break.

Anyway, i guess that my question is: is there any application for noobs like me which directs you through the different lessons and the different levels, or are we just supposed to look around and try out what we like. (in brief: im looking for some kind of tutorial to guide me through the various possibilities of this website to make sure i'm using it to its full potential and in the most effective way).

thx.

th.

There really is no wrong way. (Remember to learn kana!) Just listen, have fun, and always ask questions.

ganbatte! (good luck!)
High time to finish what I've started. || Anki vocabulary drive: 5,000/10k. Restart coming soon. || Dig my Road to Katakana tutorial on the App store.

markystar
Site Admin

Postby markystar » February 15th, 2008 11:33 am

jason's link to the syllabus is a good place to start.

and my recommendation is starting with the Nihongo Dojo lesson #1 and work you're way up. in 25 lessons you'll hardly be a newbie anymore, and after 50 (50th lesson will be June of this year), you'll be ready for the next Beginner Series which will take off from there.

Also, I recommend checking out a lot of the Survival Phrases and Culture Classes to absorb some cultural words!
ねぇ、ねぇ、私前にバンドキャンプでさ…

thdhulst
New in Town

Postby thdhulst » February 18th, 2008 12:36 pm

thx for the guidance. sure i'll find my way around now.

th.

Return to “Feature Requests”