a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Lesson on working to death - karoshi

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

Neil53
Been Around a Bit

Lesson on working to death - karoshi

Postby Neil53 » December 5th, 2007 8:37 pm

I would like to hear a lesson or discussion on the issue of working to death in Japan (karoshi). This is more of a cultural topic than a Japanese lesson. The phrase "shikata ga nai" might also be discussed in addition to the shoganai phrase already introducted as they relate to the Japanese way of thinking.

Onegaishimasu.
Last edited by Neil53 on December 6th, 2007 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Belton
Expert on Something

Postby Belton » December 6th, 2007 10:41 am

I believe the term you mean is karoshi (I'm forever getting a syllable wrong and changing the meaning as well!)

過労死 [かろうし] (n) (col) death from overwork, karoshi

The last time I was in Japan, an English language club had this as a topic for conversation. The Japanese attitudes to work were interesting. They couldn't quite believe my European slacker ways and amount of paid holidays. !

It was also in Japanese news this week, with the government compensating the widow of a worker (of Toyota I think) for his death by karoshi. Unfortunately I can no longer find the story. Yesterdays news now...

A bit morbid perhaps but it would be a quirky way for jPod to give a lesson around the phrases and behaviour you need at a Japanese funeral. Something I hope never to need but I can think of a least one time I was lost for suitable words at a friends bereavement.

Get 32% OFF Premium & Premium PLUS
markystar
Site Admin

Postby markystar » December 6th, 2007 1:00 pm

Good ideas, both of them!! 8)
ねぇ、ねぇ、私前にバンドキャンプでさ…

Neil53
Been Around a Bit

Correction thanks

Postby Neil53 » December 6th, 2007 3:23 pm

Belton - thanks for the correction. I thought this topic would fit in well with the positive nature of JapanesePod101 lessons and perhaps provide an opportunity for the staff to potentially address any internal problems concerning this issue. 8)

markystar
Site Admin

Postby markystar » December 6th, 2007 4:07 pm

address any internal problems concerning this issue.

do you work for toyota? :shock:
過労死しないでください! 
ねぇ、ねぇ、私前にバンドキャンプでさ…

Belton
Expert on Something

Postby Belton » December 6th, 2007 4:17 pm

JapanesePod's combination of Internet startup and Japanese work ethic makes me surprised any of you see the light of day or your families!

But I don't get the sense of Peter-san or anybody as slavedriver. The troops seemed fairly happy to me and not in danger of karoshi yet.

markystar
Site Admin

Postby markystar » December 7th, 2007 1:26 am

you pretty much nailed it, Beltonさん. but it really is a labor of love. we're very lucky to have such passionate and creative people here! (altho it's just a handful)
ねぇ、ねぇ、私前にバンドキャンプでさ…

Jason
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Postby Jason » December 7th, 2007 11:13 am

markystar wrote:you pretty much nailed it, Beltonさん. but it really is a labor of love. we're very lucky to have such passionate and creative people here! (altho it's just a handful)

Yep! :kokoro:
Jason
Manager of Mobile & Mac Applications

Return to “Feature Requests”