Or sign up using Facebook

Furigana instead of katagana version

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

spidey
Established Presence

No furigana

Postby spidey » May 19th, 2008 10:04 am

No furigana, please!

By keeping the furigana off the kanji it allows students to see if they can read and understand the meaning of kanji text without any help.

The JlPT wont be giving us any hints.

Sure wading through the kana isn't much fun, but it beats trying look each kanji up yourself.

s

sTeVe aUsTiN
Been Around a Bit

Postby sTeVe aUsTiN » May 19th, 2008 10:25 am

OK, OK, we get it, Spidey.
You posted the same thing three times in different places. That's really spammy and doesn't further the discussion one bit. :roll:

Get 40% OFF
spidey
Established Presence

すまん、すまん!!!

Postby spidey » May 19th, 2008 11:46 am

ok

すまん、すまん!!! X 3
Last edited by spidey on May 20th, 2008 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Javizy
Expert on Something

Re: No furigana

Postby Javizy » May 19th, 2008 1:16 pm

spidey wrote:No furigana, please!

By keeping the furigana off the kanji it allows students to see if they can read and understand the meaning of kanji text without any help.

The JlPT wont be giving us any hints.

Sure wading through the kana isn't much fun, but it beats trying look each kanji up yourself.

s

What exactly is your objection to replacing kana with the furigana? You even said yourself it's inconvenient wading through the kana transcripts, how exactly does this inconvenience benefit anyone? The kanji remains intact, so nobody has a reason to complain. Like I said somewhere else though, it's not looking likely that will see it anytime soon anyway.

sashimidimsum7250
Expert on Something

Postby sashimidimsum7250 » May 19th, 2008 1:19 pm

ohh, seems this issue had resurfaced lately. Anyhow I'll say the same thing I said in another post. I'm not against furigana as long as it doesn't replace the Kanji-only texts.
お茶漬け海苔

spidey
Established Presence

the challenge

Postby spidey » May 20th, 2008 8:31 am

Javizy

If the furigana is already above the kanji you don't have a chance to recall the reading on your own.

spidey
Established Presence

At last!

Postby spidey » May 20th, 2008 8:40 am

Shaydwyrm & Javizy

I’m so happy to finally read that others feel the same way I do about studying kanji without furigana.

いいいいな!

spidey
Established Presence

WOW… major breakthrough!!!

Postby spidey » May 20th, 2008 8:49 am

Breakthrough!!!

Even though for some strange reason I cannot break kanji down on my MAC (Leopard) in the regular way

(by keying: ctrl + shift + R)

I found something really neat. I added a little toolbar icon from my options menu. It has lowercase abc over uppercase ABC.

If I highlight kanji and then click on this ABC icon it adds furigana above the kanji. I can highlight whole sentences and it’ll add furigana throughout the text. When I’ve used this icon on PCs it always switched upper to lower case letters.

Seeing how I'm not much of an advocate for using furigana in my studies, I'm like the last person who should have found this study technique!

I wonder if you can use this feature too.

Javizy
Expert on Something

Re: the challenge

Postby Javizy » May 20th, 2008 12:29 pm

spidey wrote:Javizy

If the furigana is already above the kanji you don't have a chance to recall the reading on your own.

I thought I made it clear in my previous post, but maybe not... At the moment we have:

1. kanji transcript
2. kana transcript

The proposed change would be to:

1. kanji transcript
2. furigana transcript

The kanji transcript with NO FURIGANA remains intact, with a furigana transcript by its side to make looking up readings more convenient than using kana. So, love it or hate it, both sides of the furigana front actually benefit from its (hypothetical) inclusion in the PDF's.

spidey
Established Presence

Javizy has a great plan!

Postby spidey » May 21st, 2008 7:06 am

Thanks for your post.

I think your idea is a winner!

Kanji on one side of the page & furigana on the other side.

bloritsch
Been Around a Bit

Postby bloritsch » July 11th, 2008 12:40 pm

markystar wrote:i wish there was a way to hide the romaji. if it was my decision, there wouldn't be any romaji at all. i've tried to push for it many times, but doesn't seem like it's likely. :cry:

I know it's a crutch, but until us newbies graduate from our dependence on it I think it's necessary. I'd love to see a way to make it hidden, though...

spidey
Established Presence

Opinion Change: Furigana is the way!

Postby spidey » November 11th, 2008 7:42 am

Having furigana instead of a kana version would help to speed up the lessons for everyone. The chore of sorting through unnatural long hiragana dialogs is a burden on everyone's (creators and students alike) time and patience.

Japanese Pod 101 MASTER GURU Peter先生 ... Please HELP!

spidey
Established Presence

Use furigana below

Postby spidey » July 7th, 2009 5:41 am

I once saw furigana used below the text instead of above. I thought it was a neat idea. If you slide a paper down the the text as you read you can have a fresh chance to read the kanji on your own and then quickly double check your accuracy.

Doesn't that sound like a winning idea?

Return to “Feature Requests”