a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Nice food?

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

jkid
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Nice food?

Postby jkid » August 4th, 2006 9:16 am

I have never really had Japanese food before and am wondering what the best dish is to introduce myself to Japanese food. :)

Thanks.

Bueller_007
Expert on Something

Re: Nice food?

Postby Bueller_007 » August 5th, 2006 9:09 am

japkid wrote:I have never really had Japanese food before and am wondering what the best dish is to introduce myself to Japanese food. :)

Thanks.

Sushi/sashimi.
Kushiyaki.
Anything with ponzu in it.
Gyudon.
Ramen! (originally Chinese, but the Japanese stuff is a million times better than the Chinese stuff.)

Google for these and you'll get some ideas of what they are.

Get 40% OFF
jkid

Postby jkid » August 5th, 2006 9:35 am

Looks like I'm out of luck with Gyudon - as quoted from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gyudon

As a consequence of the fear of mad cow disease and a ban on imports of American beef, Yoshinoya and most competitors were forced to terminate gyudon sales in Japan on February 11, 2004. The Japanese Diet voted to resume beef imports from the United States in early May 2005 but the ban was reinstated in January of 2006 just as the beef began arriving in Japan. As the issue continues to be discussed between the American and Japanese governments, gyudon vendors and customers continue to wait for a resolution.

Edit: Maybe not... seems some chains are just using beef from other countries. :)

Jason

Postby Jason » August 5th, 2006 10:32 pm

Udon, chicken kazu donburi, and gyouza are good too.
Jason
Manager of Mobile & Mac Applications

jkid

Postby jkid » August 6th, 2006 11:30 am

I'll be sure to try them when I can, thanks :)

dlai
Been Around a Bit

Postby dlai » August 14th, 2006 11:35 pm

Japanese makes some great curry. I perfer it over Indian curry, and is a must try for Japanese food IMO.

Other favorites of mine are

'Oya con don', which is chicken cooked in egg with somewhat of a sweetend sauce. Eaten with rice. It's cooked somewhat slowly so the egg has a really nice texture and really complements the rice.

Niku Jaga, it's sort of like a Beef stew. I like the flavor / texture alot better than American beef stew.

In the summer time when it's hot, I like to have somen. They're buckwheat noodles you eat by dipping in this cold light soy sauceish sauce and just slup it up. It's the perfect thing to have on a hot day. You can have these with some shredded veggies and ham or egges sliced into thin strips.

Also try to try lots of fried foods. Japanese are very good at adapting western fried food dishes and adding their own sort of unique flavor to it. I really like how the Japanese does stuff like fried chicken and croquets. I forgot what those fried octopus balls were called, but they're pretty good too.

Ryu ta
New in Town

When you're ready for sushi...

Postby Ryu ta » August 25th, 2006 3:35 am

When you decide that it's time to try sushi, here's a neat trick to get around any Western prejudices that might prevent you from trying and learning you actually like some things that are not normally eaten in the traditional Western diet:

Find a well-recommended sushi bar. Pick a slow business time. Introduce yourself and explain that you've never tried sushi before and that you'd really like to learn about it without predjudice. Ask if they would consider preparing you a an assortment without telling you what anything was until you'd finished it all so that you can truly discover what you like and don't like without any impediment.

This is what some friends did for me many years ago and it helped me to overcome any initial fears and predjudices I had about raw fish, etc. I now consider Japanese food, especially sushi, my favorite in the world.

dlai
Been Around a Bit

Postby dlai » September 1st, 2006 6:40 am

Since sushi is mentioned a few times..

When trying sushi, I highly recommend Chirashi style sushi. In my experience very few places make sushi right (at least my experiences in Los Angeles) and the grains of rice get squashed leaving a sticky starchy feel. In Chirashi style, instead of being rolled up or shaped like nigiri style, the pieces of raw fish are just laid right on top of a bed of seasoned rice. No mashed starchy feel. Also in my experiences, you can get a better deal on chirashii over a sashimi plate and get better variety if you're into throwing away the rice. (I personally think having good sushi rice is part of the experience)

Here's a funny video to watch before having sushi, it'll enhance your experience.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0b75cl4-qRE

yutakae
New in Town

Re: Nice food?

Postby yutakae » June 7th, 2007 4:09 pm

[quote="jkid"]I have never really had Japanese food before and am wondering what the best dish is to introduce myself to J

well for me the best food that i eat in japan they call shabu-shabu

Robato
Been Around a Bit

japanese food

Postby Robato » June 7th, 2007 6:20 pm

Japanese food

such a choice and life changing.

as an intro .

Niku Jaga I loved when i was home sick for Scottish food -- it's like a good old beef stew with veg.

Tonkatsu--this is the pork cutlet fried --great with cabbage and some rice

Sushi--lots of types are cooked it's not all raw fish with rice .If I was introducing sushi I wouldnt go for kaiten sushi the revolving conveyer belt which tires me out and is never quite as good as sushiya .at a proper old style sushiya and see them make and also cook .best one I had was in Hokkaido and they grilled some fish and put them on rice too .

tiroth2
Established Presence

Postby tiroth2 » June 8th, 2007 1:25 pm

dlai wrote:'Oya con don'

That's Oya-Ko Don(buri). It means parent and child, referring to chicken and egg.
親子丼

Return to “Japanese Food & Entertainment”