a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

pouring sake

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

taipeiguy
New in Town

pouring sake

Postby taipeiguy » February 10th, 2008 9:47 am

I just got back from a trip to Japan. (I had a great time at the Sapporo Yuki Matsuri.) While I was there, I went to an izakaya where I ordered sake. The waitress poured the sake from a big bottle into a cup with a saucer underneath. When she poured, I was surprised that she let the sake overflow to fill both the cup and the saucer.

Is this a standard way to serve sake? Or was my waitress just crazy?

How should I drink this? Do I just drink sake out of the saucer, or should I pour it from the saucer into the cup?

Psy
Expert on Something

Postby Psy » February 10th, 2008 8:55 pm

Yeah, this is traditional. By saucer I assume you mean a square box called a masu. It's my understanding that you drink a bit from the glass and then pour the extra into the glass once there's enough room. My izakaya experience is pretty limited so I'm sure others can detail it further.

Were I in your position, I would have just asked her to teach you how to drink properly. :wink:
High time to finish what I've started. || Anki vocabulary drive: 5,000/10k. Restart coming soon. || Dig my Road to Katakana tutorial on the App store.

Get 40% OFF
josiah
Expert on Something

Postby josiah » February 10th, 2008 11:23 pm

wanna drink sake? this will help you learn how, but let me just say, i looooooove the Masu cup! 8)

http://www.wikihow.com/Serve-and-Drink-Sake
あなたの敵を許しなさい。だが、その名前は決して忘れるな

デスノートにお前の名前書くぞ!!

taipeiguy
New in Town

not a masu

Postby taipeiguy » February 11th, 2008 1:06 am

She didn't give me a masu. It was a ceramic cup and saucer. The cup was like a Japanese teacup (no handle). The porcelain saucer was fairly deep.

josiah
Expert on Something

Postby josiah » February 13th, 2008 3:07 pm

えええぇーーー??? 降参です
あなたの敵を許しなさい。だが、その名前は決して忘れるな

デスノートにお前の名前書くぞ!!

Psy
Expert on Something

Re: not a masu

Postby Psy » February 13th, 2008 8:31 pm

taipeiguy wrote:She didn't give me a masu. It was a ceramic cup and saucer. The cup was like a Japanese teacup (no handle). The porcelain saucer was fairly deep.

Ah, do excuse my arrogant assumption earlier. :wink: Still, same difference... drink from the small one first. If that would have seemed awkward I'd have probably tried an ano sumimasen, hajimete mita ndesu kedo or something like that. Next time get brave and ask questions! :)
High time to finish what I've started. || Anki vocabulary drive: 5,000/10k. Restart coming soon. || Dig my Road to Katakana tutorial on the App store.

foxyshez
Been Around a Bit

Postby foxyshez » February 23rd, 2008 12:52 am

when i first had it served that way i had to email my friend and ask. we were sitting at the counter so i didn't want to look foolish. She said, theres no special way to drink it. But i usually drink and then tip whats in the masu box (or bowl in your case) into the glass. Works for me!

Japanese sake is yummy

Psy
Expert on Something

Postby Psy » February 24th, 2008 2:52 am

foxyshez wrote:when i first had it served that way i had to email my friend and ask. we were sitting at the counter so i didn't want to look foolish.

Let's reverse the order for a second here:

Situation 1: You're a Japanese bartender and you're serving a drink that your customer clearly has no clue how to drink. He's doing it wrong, and everyone around is starting to look amused but social custom dictates that neither you nor anyone else can say anything about it. The customer leaves unawares, and that's that... another gaijin who doesn't understand the language or the customs.

Situation 2: Is set up the same way, only this time the customer opens his mouth and manages to blurt out an awkward but somehow comprehensible "umm excuse me, first time see this, tell me how to drink please?" You make an explanation through simple words and gestures, and the custom is learned however clumsy the process may have been. The customer leaves, leaving you with the satisfaction that you were able to impart part of your culture to a foreigner who was actually interested in learning about it.

Now, does situation 2 really put the customer in a worse light?

Japanese sake is yummy

That it is, sir, that it is. :D

foxyshez
Been Around a Bit

Postby foxyshez » February 24th, 2008 4:24 am

situation 3-you email your mate and look super cool cuz u seem to know exactly how to drink it 8) ...in this case, knowing that theres no particular way haha

Return to “Japanese Food & Entertainment”