a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Anything in NYC?

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

vincenthugo
New in Town

Anything in NYC?

Postby vincenthugo » August 8th, 2007 3:01 pm

Is there anything Japanese that goes on in NYC? Where's a good place to look? I just moved here, and I'm just looking for some interesting activities and new faces.

Ulver_684
Expert on Something

Re: Anything in NYC?

Postby Ulver_684 » October 26th, 2007 10:22 pm

vincenthugo wrote:Is there anything Japanese that goes on in NYC? Where's a good place to look? I just moved here, and I'm just looking for some interesting activities and new faces.

Vicenthugo-san! :wink:

Well Start by visiting Japan Society or sign up on http://www.meetup.com
and lets meet up. :akushu:

Get 40% OFF
Shaydwyrm
Expert on Something

Postby Shaydwyrm » October 27th, 2007 9:45 am

There's definitely plenty of Japanese stuff going on in NYC, though I only took advantage of a few while I was living there. I used to visit the Go club in Manhattan pretty frequently, if you have any interest in that. There's a BookOff in Manhattan too, which is a really cheap source of used manga and Japanese books, and Kinokuniya (more expensive, and new, but better selection) is in Rockefeller Center. Keep an eye out for Japanese films (occasionally film festivals even), especially at IFC.

That's just a little taste, but I'm sure you can find something to suit your interests. I ended up finding a lot of Japanese-ness just by looking through newspapers and magazines (TimeOut etc), and then talking to people I met at those events.

I've personally never had any luck with meetup.com, but your mileage may vary - I only tried it in Boston.

Alpo
New in Town

Postby Alpo » October 28th, 2007 6:03 am

It's not in NYC (it's in NJ) but hopefully this can be of help to you.

Mitsuwa Market:
http://www.mitsuwanj.com/en/index.htm

I shop at more then one location here in California, and if the NJ locale is like the CA ones, then there's always cultural events happeneing in conjunction ezpecially with sales promotions. For example food festivals themed around specific regions of Japan, a summer matsuri with games & entertainment, etc.

Ulver_684
Expert on Something

Re: Anything in NYC?

Postby Ulver_684 » October 28th, 2007 9:41 pm

Ulver_684 wrote:
vincenthugo wrote:Is there anything Japanese that goes on in NYC? Where's a good place to look? I just moved here, and I'm just looking for some interesting activities and new faces.

Well Start by visiting Japan Society or sign up on http://www.meetup.com
and lets meet up. :akushu:

You can also go to Kinokuniya store at Bryant Park at Rockefeller Center, check out their wesite: :cool:

http://www.Kinokuniya.com

vincenthugo
New in Town

Postby vincenthugo » November 5th, 2007 3:49 am

Thanks, everyone! I will try everyone's suggestions. Sindy-san, I'd love to meet up and learn the language with you. Though now i'm outside the city during the week I come back often on weekends. e-mail me when the next meet-up is:

Ulver_684
Expert on Something

Postby Ulver_684 » November 6th, 2007 3:44 am

vincenthugo wrote:Thanks, everyone! I will try everyone's suggestions. Sindy-san, I'd love to meet up and learn the language with you. Though now i'm outside the city during the week I come back often on weekends. e-mail me when the next meet-up is:

Got it, I sent you a e-mail! I will add you on my MSN so please add me too, thanks! :cool:

evita
New in Town

Postby evita » November 25th, 2007 7:37 am

Around 8th avenue just off of Broadway (I don't remember the exact location because I'm a houkou onchi! It's near to NYU) there's a bunch of Japanese restaurants and stuff, but it's kind of a weird sketchy feeling place. I bought takoyaki there.

Rizu
Established Presence

Postby Rizu » November 25th, 2007 10:09 pm

I'm totally stopping at Book-Off this weekend! I'll be there for the JLPT.

Quick questions for those who've been to Book-Off: Can you trade in books for store credit, or do they only sell used books? How are their manga prices?

Return to “Japanese Food & Entertainment”