a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Whale bacon? Seriously?

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

Caren
New in Town

Whale bacon? Seriously?

Postby Caren » April 11th, 2007 8:34 pm

We arrived in Tokyo last night and had dinner in a tiny bar/restaurant in Shinagawa. No English menu and they barely spoke English, which was fine because I was anxious to try out my Japanese skills. After a bit of back and forth, I successfully ordered draft beer and a beef and vegetable stir fry with lots of garlic. It was really good.

But here's the thing. During dinner, I amused myself by decoding the hand-written menu on the wall. One of the items offered was くじらベーコン. Whale bacon. Do they really mean...um...whale?

danieru_s
Been Around a Bit

Postby danieru_s » April 11th, 2007 10:13 pm

Google "whale bacon" and you'll see pictures of it.

Get 40% OFF
JonB
Expert on Something

Yep

Postby JonB » April 12th, 2007 2:45 am

Do they really mean...um...whale?

I actually saw this in the supermarket the other day and the packaging even had whale bacon in English

osekihan
Been Around a Bit

Postby osekihan » April 12th, 2007 11:35 pm

EWW.

I'm a vegetarian (that eats fish). I miss my bacon... But ew, I don't think I want whale bacon!

Caren
New in Town

Postby Caren » April 14th, 2007 11:42 pm

Well, I'll add that to my list of food I won't touch here. Every time I come to Japan, I notice food I've never seen before. In addition to the whale bacon (urp), my husband discovered these bread-covered hot dogs on a stick that have apparenty been in every convenience store all along but I hadn't noticed them.

Bueller_007
Expert on Something

Postby Bueller_007 » April 15th, 2007 4:19 am

Caren wrote:Well, I'll add that to my list of food I won't touch here. Every time I come to Japan, I notice food I've never seen before. In addition to the whale bacon (urp), my husband discovered these bread-covered hot dogs on a stick that have apparenty been in every convenience store all along but I hadn't noticed them.

Those would just be corn dogs, would they not?

Caren
New in Town

Postby Caren » April 20th, 2007 5:30 pm

Bueller_007 wrote:
Caren wrote:Well, I'll add that to my list of food I won't touch here. Every time I come to Japan, I notice food I've never seen before. In addition to the whale bacon (urp), my husband discovered these bread-covered hot dogs on a stick that have apparenty been in every convenience store all along but I hadn't noticed them.

Not at all. Corn dogs are made with cornmeal batter that's deep fried. These things had regular yeast-based bread dough wrapped around them and were baked.

Bueller_007
Expert on Something

Postby Bueller_007 » April 20th, 2007 7:27 pm

Caren wrote:
Bueller_007 wrote:

Not at all. Corn dogs are made with cornmeal batter that's deep fried. These things had regular yeast-based bread dough wrapped around them and were baked.

Ah those. You mean the ones that just sit there in the bakery section, not in the special heating box?

Yeah, I avoid those. I've made the decision that I just can't trust meat that sits out for hours.

Caren
New in Town

Postby Caren » May 2nd, 2007 5:38 pm

Bueller_007 wrote:
Caren wrote:
Bueller_007 wrote:

Ah those. You mean the ones that just sit there in the bakery section, not in the special heating box?

Yeah, I avoid those. I've made the decision that I just can't trust meat that sits out for hours.

They were processed into submission so they couldn't go bad if they tried. Sort of like a Twinkie. By the time we left Japan, those sausage things were about the only thing my husband would eat. I'll tell ya, never go to Japan with a picky eater.

lectrolux
New in Town

Postby lectrolux » May 2nd, 2007 11:42 pm

osekihan wrote:EWW.

I'm a vegetarian (that eats fish). I miss my bacon...

Surely you are not a vegetarian if you eat fish and bacon :lol:

shungen
Been Around a Bit

Postby shungen » August 24th, 2007 12:12 pm

hey there is nothing wrong with Whale Bacon, it tastes good! It's like beef...except more tender and jucier

I do recommend trying it! seriously!

Caren
PostPosted: 14 Apr 2007 23:42 GMT Post subject:
Well, I'll add that to my list of food I won't touch here.

NO~~~~that's a shame...

Return to “Japanese Food & Entertainment”