a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Drnking - Consumption order protocol

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

erawanet
Been Around a Bit

Drnking - Consumption order protocol

Postby erawanet » March 26th, 2007 3:53 am

A few years a go I was in Tokyo on a business trip and got taken out many times by various people, including one organization that brewed its own sake on the premises. I was told by these officianados that the correct order for alcohol consumption, so to avoid any unwanted hangovers, was beer, sake, then whiskey.

I am wondering if this is a widely held view in Japan, and if so, does it work? As I recall, I was not ill on the trip despite massive party nights involving many parties and lots of early mornings.
--
Andy Roberts

JonB
Expert on Something

Never heard that

Postby JonB » March 27th, 2007 1:42 am

but I tend to go beer, sake, big bottle of aquarius or pocari sweat

not a whisky fan so I skip that bit...

Get 40% OFF
erawanet
Been Around a Bit

Postby erawanet » April 3rd, 2007 7:21 am

Interesting, I can see the logic in your recipe - beer, sake - then rehydrate.

Given the lack of replies on this topic I am prepared to do some experimentation on this issue through trial and error.

Of course I shall do my best to replicate Japanese conditions with Japanese beverages, beer and sake is easy, but getting Suntory in Bangkok is not so easy, despite Thais being avid whiskey drinkers. I have previously searched high and low for Suntory but to no avail. I have also tried to find Old Parr - a scotch whiskey that is mega popular in Japan - but no luck. I guess Jonnie Walker will have to do.

I am yet to design this "experiment" so any suggestions are welcome. My hypothesis is that the absence of wine keeps this mixture honest - we shall see.
--
Andy Roberts

kichigaijin
Established Presence

Postby kichigaijin » May 11th, 2007 8:34 pm

i wouldn't have a hangover from that mix, coz i'd still be drunk the second day.

the old saying goes:
beer before liquor, never sicker
liquor before beer, you're in the clear

go hard at the beginning and taper off later in the night.

the last time i had beer first, followed by gradually harder stuff, i was drunk until 2pm to 4pm the next day.

my surefire hangover recipe is at least 16ounces of gatorade after drinking, preferably with another 8 ounces of water. Pocari Sweat should work well though.

dmr214
Established Presence

Postby dmr214 » May 22nd, 2007 7:21 am

I think it's safe to say that ending a night of drinking beer and sake with Whiskey is definitely not the way to go...unless of course you want that hangover.

scotte
New in Town

Postby scotte » July 31st, 2007 6:52 am

When I go drinking with co-workers it is beer, sake, and then shochu. In fact in the last few years it seems shochu has become more popular than sake. Personally I prefer sake. Shochu is too strong for me.

What do you think? Has shochu become more popular than sake?

I have found drinking a cup of hot green teat before heading home does wonders for keeping away a hangover the next day.

It is like magic.

Peter
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Postby Peter » July 31st, 2007 10:59 am

Mina-san, thanks as always for the posting! Shochu is definitely increasing in popularity. I tend to stay away from it, as I too prefer sake. I, however, usually stick to beer. Nice cold Kirin in the bottle!
JapanesePod101.com
Learn Japanese with FREE Daily Podcasts

http://www.japanesepod101.com
contactus@japanesepod101.com

Fedgrub
Expert on Something

Postby Fedgrub » November 22nd, 2007 1:41 am

kichigaijin wrote:
the old saying goes:
beer before liquor, never sicker
liquor before beer, you're in the clear

... And its a saying I live my life by! haha

jemstone
Expert on Something

Postby jemstone » November 22nd, 2007 1:59 am

my grandpa handed down to my dad a recipe to shoo away hangovers the next day... and my dad handed it down to me.

when you get a hangover in the morning (coz of senseless drinking at night or whatever), drink another half a can of beer. it sets your body back in tune similar to the night before but without all that double-vision, world-tilting-one-side, drunkness.

i've never gave that recipe a shot before (coz i quit drinking =P) but my dad and grandpa swears by it.

Return to “Japanese Food & Entertainment”