Or sign up using Facebook

Ordering a Latte in Japan

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

cknapp125
New in Town

Ordering a Latte in Japan

Postby cknapp125 » March 6th, 2007 10:04 pm

Can someone please help me??!!
I went to Starbucks in Japan and thankfully they have a little paper with pictures on it. I never got what I really wanted because it was just too hard to explain. I would really like to know how to say, "I would like a tall double shot, non-fat milk, vanilla latte."
I am going back to Japan this summer and would really love to be able to say this!! :?:

JonB
Expert on Something

jsut say it in English

Postby JonB » March 7th, 2007 2:00 am

Most SB will probably get it but you may need to pronounce vanilla as banilla other than that it is pretty much the same in my experience

Get 40% OFF
annie
Expert on Something

Postby annie » March 7th, 2007 2:30 am

except I've never seen non-fat milk here in Japan.

Since I have nothing to do, I stopped by the Starbucks webpage.

You want to order a ダブル トール バニラ ラテ

And don't underestimate the importance of pronouncing things like katakana rather than english.

Bueller_007
Expert on Something

Postby Bueller_007 » March 7th, 2007 6:08 am

I refuse to do the katakana pronunciation thing when ordering food.

The way I see it, if I worked at a French restaurant in Canada, and a real French person came in, and ordered something using natural French pronunciation, and I couldn't understand it, it sure wouldn't be his fault. It'd be mine, for not knowing the real pronunciation of the food I was serving. And why should I expect him to go out of the way to mispronounce words in his own language? That's like ASKING him to be condescending to me.

Airth
Expert on Something

Postby Airth » March 7th, 2007 2:31 pm

I followed Annie's lead and found non-fat milk listed on the right on this page:

http://www.starbucks.co.jp/ja/customize_milk.htm

It's listed as 無脂肪乳 (mu shibou nyuu) and it doesn't cost any extra. So you want to add 無脂肪乳を入れてください (mushibounyuu wo iretekudasai) after you tell them the coffee you want. Saying that, my Japanese wife thinks 無脂肪乳 sounds hilarious and doubts a Starbucks part-timer will know what you are going on about. I, on the other hand, have slightly more confidence in their training program. Good luck next time!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bueller wrote:I refuse to do the katakana pronunciation thing when ordering food.

I understand what you're saying and on the face of it, it makes sense. I also suspect you may be trying to make a point about English words being used for fashionability, or in place of a perfectly good Japanese word, so forgive me if my response is wide of the mark. I'm sure you can feel a 'but' coming, can't you? Well, I for one am quite happy to play the katakana game for the following reason; for me, コーヒー is Japanese and coffee is English and I pronounce them appropriately. Otherwise, where do you draw the line? Should I insist on using the Arabic kahwa or the Turkish kahveh, from where the English apparently originates?

English is notorious for twisting the pronunciation of words taken from other languages; whereas I've always thought Japanese, bearing in mind its limitations, does quite a respectable job. I remember when I used to laugh at the pronunciation of virus over here, until I realised it was modelled on German, not English. I also realised how easy it was to fall into the stereotypical arrogance of English speakers.

Perhaps the French person in your Canadian restaurant would wish to communicate as smoothly as possible and adapt their speech accordingly.

Belton
Expert on Something

Postby Belton » March 7th, 2007 6:26 pm

Why you want to drink Coffee in Starbucks on holiday to a place that has more interesting things on offer to experience in your short stay I don't know. :)
Is it a less bland experience in Japan than Seattle?
but hey it's your holiday.

The katakana thing. You can use the correct English all you want but you might not get anywhere.
When in Rome and all that.
Besides they are no longer English words now they've been adopted. Isn't latte French anyway? 笑

Bueller_007
Expert on Something

Postby Bueller_007 » March 7th, 2007 7:01 pm

Belton wrote:Why you want to drink Coffee in Starbucks on holiday to a place that has more interesting things on offer to experience in your short stay I don't know. :)
Is it a less bland experience in Japan than Seattle?
but hey it's your holiday.

The katakana thing. You can use the correct English all you want but you might not get anywhere.
When in Rome and all that.
Besides they are no longer English words now they've been adopted. Isn't latte French anyway? 笑

I think I've got the French part covered. ;-)
Last edited by Bueller_007 on August 28th, 2007 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

annie
Expert on Something

Postby annie » March 8th, 2007 1:09 am

Bueller_007 wrote:I refuse to do the katakana pronunciation thing when ordering food.

I'm not quite sure what I think on that.

To play devil's advocate: By ordering just as you would in America it seems as if you're expecting the staff to cater to you because you're an American and Starbucks is an American company and English is better than Japanese.

There are lots of times when people don't even realize that a katakana word comes from English. (My 2nd years tried to call me out on speaking Japanese in class when I said "No rulers. Draw free hand")

[quote-"Belton"]Why you want to drink Coffee in Starbucks on holiday to a place that has more interesting things on offer to experience in your short stay I don't know.
Is it a less bland experience in Japan than Seattle? [/quote]

I like that Starbucks here has a few uniquely Japanese things on their menu. Just as it does in most countries. I think it's fascinating to see the way that each country adapts what started out as a uniquely American concept. (I also check out the menu at McDonalds in every country I go to, though I don't often eat there simply because I'm not real keen on meat). Even Starbucks in NZ offers some menu items that aren't found in the U.S.

I paid $3 for a frapucinno in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia (though went to The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf, which I didn't even know had American shops). It probably cost 6 times what my lunch that day cost, but sometimes that little bit of America is just what you need to revitalize yourself before setting off to conquer new territories and strange food.

And most of the more traditional Japanese shops serve pretty bad coffee.

JonB
Expert on Something

They have

Postby JonB » March 8th, 2007 2:29 am

non fat but I usually hear it as no fat.

As a general rule I am with Bueller and try to pronounce katakana as they are in the right language (not always borrowed from English), but I have found that they just don't get vanilla.

Slight aside on the French one. I took my wife to quite a smart French restaurant for her birthday last year and the menu was in Japanese and French. Speaking a bit of French I tried to order in French - no chance!!! They had no clue - makes me wonder why they bothered :roll:

seanolan
Expert on Something

Postby seanolan » March 8th, 2007 2:42 am

I wonder if those of you who refuse to use the katakana pronounce "weiner" as "veener", since that's how the original German pronounces it. Or if you roll your "r"s properly when asking for a "burrito" (admittedly that word literally means "little mule" but still, it's from Spanish). How about Volkswagon properly pronounced "FolksVagen"?

Refusing to pronounce Japanese loan words as Japanese is very ethnocentric, in my opinion. And unless you do the same thing in every language (and good luck pronouncing the English Latin derivatives in the original Latin!), you are being a touch hypocritical in my opinion.

Sean

cknapp125
New in Town

Thank you!!

Postby cknapp125 » March 8th, 2007 5:57 am

Thank you everyone!!
I never thought to checkout website! Thanks!
I know!! I am the ugly American!! I don't really care if the coffee is good. (I really thought the lattes were good in Japan)
I am like a smoker when it comes to lattes. I started at age 11 and now I am 23, so no matter where I go I just drink starbucks because I know it and I like it. (I also know the calorie count in that latte...yes I am a FREAK!)

Other then that I am game for any other type of drink or food.

Side note for 00017;
I made it a point to go to only Japanese restaurants. Only my dog enjoys McDonalds in my house.

Good points about Japanese Starbucks!!
Japan had the green tea frap. months before America and also the crème Brule latte. They warm your snacks too and we don't have that option!! They have a HUGE food display it was like a real bakery!

cknapp125
New in Town

Re: They have

Postby cknapp125 » March 8th, 2007 6:34 am

[quote="JonB"]non fat but I usually hear it as no fat.

(I worked at starbucks- non-fat or skinny. They trained me well)

annie
Expert on Something

Re: Thank you!!

Postby annie » March 8th, 2007 8:16 am

cknapp125 wrote:
Good points about Japanese Starbucks!!
Japan had the green tea frap. months before America and also the crème Brule latte. They warm your snacks too and we don't have that option!! They have a HUGE food display it was like a real bakery!

They had the green tea frap. years before the States.
Even Thailand had it ages earlier.

Starbucks USA didn't think it would appeal to American tastes. (I had the same conversation with many a Starbucks manager)

mari
New in Town

Postby mari » March 22nd, 2007 5:00 pm

Yeah, Starbucks took forever to pick up the macha frap in the States. I had been waiting for it since 2001! And now that they finally have it, they ruin it by dousing it in sugary fruit syrups (melon or blackberry.) Fortunately they're happy to leave out the fake melon taste if you remember to ask.

When I lived in Japan, I would get Starbucks once or twice a week when I went to my prefecture's capital. I never drank the stuff before I left the U.S., but it was weirdly comforting to indulge when I was living abroad.

Return to “Japanese Food & Entertainment”