Start Learning Japanese in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

What time is best to head over to Japan?

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

jkid
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

What time is best to head over to Japan?

Postby jkid » July 28th, 2006 11:55 am

Hi Guys!

I am planning on heading over to Japan sometime in 2007 for a holiday. It will be my first trip there and I intend to stay for a fortnight. I was thinking of going in April because of hanami. What do you guys think is the best time to travel to Japan?

Thanks. :)

Bueller_007
Expert on Something

Re: What time is best to head over to Japan?

Postby Bueller_007 » July 28th, 2006 12:01 pm

japkid wrote:Hi Guys!

I am planning on heading over to Japan sometime in 2007 for a holiday. It will be my first trip there and I intend to stay for a fortnight. I was thinking of going in April because of hanami. What do you guys think is the best time to travel to Japan?

Thanks. :)

Yeah, Apr. for hanami or Oct. for momiji-gari (red autumn leaves).

Sakura are pretty fickle, unpredictable flowers though, so it's difficult to plan a trip based around them. Same goes for the leaves.

Get 40% OFF Forever Discount
jkid

Postby jkid » July 28th, 2006 12:17 pm

That's one of the problems isn't it? :)

It is my understanding that the Japanese weather bureau releases dates for when the Sakura will likely bloom. Is this correct? Their prediction will be more or less right in that case. Even if I did unfortunately miss hanami it is still very beautiful during that time of year, or so I am told.

Thanks for the info on momiji-gari if I miss hanami I could always fly back in October! :)

Belton
Expert on Something

Postby Belton » July 28th, 2006 12:59 pm

The bit between Spring and Autumn seems to be hot and /or wet. (Hot I could deal with but hot and humid, yuk it seems everyone carries a handtowel to mop up sweat.) Spring and Autumn are milder times.

Having looked at hotel rates and airfares around these times they seem to be high season both for Japanese tourists and foreign tourists.

jkid

Postby jkid » July 28th, 2006 1:39 pm

Yes that is unfortunate... blasted airlines and their need to overcharge! :D

Alan
Expert on Something

Postby Alan » August 2nd, 2006 9:42 pm

Early April before golden week is quite good. The sakura starts flowering in the south in late March and the flower front works it's way up the country during April to the north. The japanese meteorological agency posts a sakura forecast on their website. Quite a lot of people prefer the autumn, which I've yet to experience.

Whatever you do, try to avoid travelling during japanese holidays, in particular golden week. I'm sure it's great if you are already in the right place, but apparently its standing room (if that) on most of the trains in that period.

jkid

Postby jkid » August 4th, 2006 10:52 am

Thanks for the tip Alan. Would people say the best mode of transport is the train with a JR pass or other?

Return to “Visiting Japan”