a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Resources to plan a trip to Japan

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

alfa1
New in Town

Re: Resources to plan a trip to Japan

Postby alfa1 » April 24th, 2006 1:13 pm

MartinE wrote:Does anyone have any good resources/websites to make plans to visit? I've looked at places like Expedia & Travelocity and it seems like they don't have a clue.
Thanks!

Get yourself a JR Rail Pass. People living Japan would kill for one of these. Once you buy this, you have all the JR rail (and thats everywhere) you wish to have over the time period of the pass.
http://www.japanrailpass.net/eng/en001.html
Available outside Japan, you are essentially buying a reciept of purchase. Once you get to Japan and decide to 'active' the pass, there is a bit more paperwork but after that its so easy. No more tickets to buy, just flash your pass at the people at the manned station gates and walk through like a VIP. Even on the shinkansen.

As for accommodation, I just stayed in cheap 'business' hotels. I would have gone to the effort of finding them myself, but my nihongo isnt so jouzo at all, so I ended up using:
http://www.itcj.or.jp/en/wi/index.html
I used the reservation counters at Kyoto and Tokyo. Just ask the nice lady behind the counter to book your room for you. Grab a couple of maps, ask about any festivals etc...

The only other essential is a small compass. Once you surface from the depths of the subway, you've no idea which way you're looking. I strapped a small one like this to my day bag:
http://www.wildernessadventures.net/smwristcompass.jpg

Other than that, travel light. Anything you dont bring, you can always buy when you're there. They do sell stuff in Japan.

Also, dont be surprised if strangers walk up to you and want to practise their english. Happened to me about once a week.

Bueller_007
Expert on Something

Postby Bueller_007 » April 24th, 2006 6:32 pm

japan-guide.com has everything.

Get 40% OFF
kij
New in Town

Postby kij » April 24th, 2006 6:37 pm

for a place to stay, i highly suggest you check out toyoko inn - they are cheap, clean, new business hotels all over japan, usually very close to the stations, websites all have english and you can book online. rooms are small but you shouldn't be spending your time in japan sitting in your room anyways :)

MartinE
New in Town

Resources to plan a trip to Japan

Postby MartinE » April 25th, 2006 1:06 am

Does anyone have any good resources/websites to make plans to visit? I've looked at places like Expedia & Travelocity and it seems like they don't have a clue.

Thanks!

sharkie81
New in Town

travelling in japan

Postby sharkie81 » April 25th, 2006 10:58 am

i found this site a really good reference while traelling thru japan last month.

just gave me a good idea of basic of what you should see and do if you only have a sort amount of itme in each city.

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e623.html

alsi i would too endorse a japan rail pass, i had a 14 day pass and found it so useful not just using thru out cities but saves a lot on travelling longer distances on shinkansen

enjoy japan

its one awsome country

mike

sierra
New in Town

Postby sierra » April 25th, 2006 12:15 pm

But don't visit Toyoko Inn if you're in a wheelchair!!

SuiteOne
Been Around a Bit

Postby SuiteOne » April 25th, 2006 1:45 pm

What about tour groups? Anyone have any info./experience with these?

I've found a couple on the web, but they seemed either sketchy or not inadequate.
I would like to visit Japan again for a short period of time, and I would rather go with a group so that I'm not alone.

Any help will be appreciated!

Nicole

The Frankensteiner
Expert on Something

Postby The Frankensteiner » April 25th, 2006 1:48 pm

What if you want to visit places in the country side outside of the urban sprawl?
I've heard some temples let you stay the night for a fee and you get to wake up early and chant with the monks and have breakfast with them.

Also I'd like to stay at some Ryokans. Are they generally easy to get a room at or are they usually booked?
Find out what it's like to live, work and play in Japan!
http://guzenmedia.com/

Bueller_007
Expert on Something

Postby Bueller_007 » April 25th, 2006 3:54 pm

The Frankensteiner wrote:What if you want to visit places in the country side outside of the urban sprawl?
I've heard some temples let you stay the night for a fee and you get to wake up early and chant with the monks and have breakfast with them.

It's called "shukubo", and yes. The most popular place is Koya-san (now a UNESCO World Heritage site, I believe) near Osaka. Check for Koya-san on japan-guide.com.

Also I'd like to stay at some Ryokans. Are they generally easy to get a room at or are they usually booked?

Depends where you go and how picky you are. Unlike many other countries, most places in Japan don't really have a "high season" outside of the holidays. Go to Hokkaido in the winter and you might have some trouble. I've travelled extensively, and never had any problems getting a decent room with no reservation. Lonely Planet (or whatever) will usually tell you which places tend to book up fast.

esp
Been Around a Bit

Postby esp » April 25th, 2006 5:32 pm

Wikitravel has some good information but Japan-guide.com seems to be one of the best resources.

Here's a few other interesting websites ive looked at:
http://www.jal.com/world/en/guidetojapa ... itage.html
http://www.jnto.go.jp/eng/index.html
http://wikitravel.org/en/Main_Page You can search for info on most cities and regions here

alfa1
New in Town

Postby alfa1 » April 25th, 2006 5:43 pm

MartinE wrote:Does anyone have any good resources/websites to make plans to visit?

I'd learnt a bit of Kanji before I went, but not much... however I found it rather useful when travelling on the railway system and wanting to read station names. Sure, in a lot of cases you will find english language signs, but also in a lot of cases you wont, or really you shouldnt have to spend the time doing so if you'd prepared in advance.
So what I suggest is this... learn a few dozen Kanji that have to do with place names. Now as it happens this isnt too hard because a LOT of place names refer to simple things like field, river, mountain, big, small, south, east, west, temple, new, town, district etc...
Find a map of the Tokyo subway system, spend a bit of time hunting these things online and you'll see what I mean.

Jason
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Postby Jason » April 25th, 2006 5:45 pm

alfa1 wrote:Find a map of the Tokyo subway system, spend a bit of time hunting these things online and you'll see what I mean.

There was a link posted to one in one of the lesson comments sections. I think for the Shibuya JCC.
Jason
Manager of Mobile & Mac Applications

alfa1
New in Town

Postby alfa1 » April 25th, 2006 5:55 pm

Jason wrote:
alfa1 wrote:Find a map of the Tokyo subway system, spend a bit of time hunting these things online and you'll see what I mean.

There was a link posted to one in one of the lesson comments sections. I think for the Shibuya JCC.

Cool, I'll check it out in a moment... however I just found a posting to usenet from 2003 where somebody was attempting to come up with 'english' sounding equivalent names for the Yamanote line:

Shinjuku - New Lodge
Yoyogi - Ancestral Trees
Harajuku - Field Lodge
Shibuya - Bitter Valley
Ebisu - Ebisu (God of Wealth)
Meguro - Black-Eye
Gotanda - Five Tan Paddy
Osaki - Grand Cape
Shinagawa - Goods River
Tamachi - Paddy Town
Hamamatsucho - Shore Pine Town
Shimbashi - New Bridge
Yurakucho - Pleasuretown
Tokyo - Eastern Capital
Kanda - Holy Valley
Akihabara - Autumn Leaf Field
Okachimachi - Crowded Town
Ueno - High Fields
Uguisudani - Nightingale Valley
Nippori - Sunset Village
Nishi-nippori - West Sunset Village
Tabata - Paddy Edge
Komagome - Cattle Herds
Sugamo - Duck's Nest
Otsuka - Big Grave
Ikebukuro - Pouched Pond
Mejiro - White-Eye
Takadanobaba - High Paddy Stables
Shin Okubo - Eternal New Pledge

and
Chiyoda Line (Millennium Paddy Line)
Yoyogiuehara - Upper Ancestral Wood Field
Yoyogikoen - Ancestral Wood Park
Meiji-jingumae - Meiji Shrine
Omotesando - Grand Entry Avenue
Nogizaka - Nogi Slope (Nogi was a famous person?)
Akasaka - Scarlet Slope (changed red to scarlet because it sounds better in English)
Kokkaigijidomae - Diet Building
Kasumigaseki - Misty Gate
Hibiya - Sunshine Valley
Nijubashimae - Two Bridges (I don't think "front" needs to be translated in English)
Otemachi - Big Business Place
Shin-Ochanomizu - New Green Tea Water
Yushima - Hot Spring Island
Nezu - (please help me with this one)
Sendagi - 1000 Paddy Wood
Nishi-nippori - West Sunshine Village
Machiya - Dwelling Town
Kita Senju - North Thousander Village
Ayase - Twill Rapids

digitaljo
Been Around a Bit

Postby digitaljo » April 28th, 2006 3:56 am

SuiteOne wrote:What about tour groups? Anyone have any info./experience with these?

If you like Japanese anime, manga, etc., then Pop Japan Travel. This one is not first hand experience, but I had two friends who went on the Pop Japan Comiket Tour 2004. They had a lot of fun. The stories I heard, the pictures they took. Just find a tour you like.

The JR Railways East has travel packages. Just find one you that you like.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Experience - January 2006 - click for pictures

Transportation Schedule
If you like to train/bus/shinkansen hop use Hyperdia. Input the name of the STATION you want to leave from and the STATION you want to arrive. Well you could put the city, but it will be the main city at least. (eg Tokyo -> Hiroshima) and you could change you preferences.

Hostels
I used Hostelworld.com. I met a lot of fun and nice people. I stayed at Kawaguchiko Station Inn and Palette Takashimadaira. Both really affordable.
Kawagichiko Station Inn is close to the Fuji-Q Highland. It is one station away from the Kawaguchiko Station.
Palette Takashimadaira is an awesome place to stay. It's like an apartment in the U.S. but smaller. If you forgot something on you trip like an iron or laundry detergent, they should have it just ask. There is a 24 hour bento place, supermarket, pachinko, izakayas, etc. It's a bit out of main Tokyo, so be careful. That's when Beginner Lesson #40 or Survival Phrases #5 comes in handy. :P

I can't wait to go again!!!

SuiteOne
Been Around a Bit

Postby SuiteOne » May 4th, 2006 3:58 pm

digitaljo wrote:
SuiteOne wrote:What about tour groups? Anyone have any info./experience with these?

If you like Japanese anime, manga, etc., then Pop Japan Travel. This one is not first hand experience, but I had two friends who went on the Pop Japan Comiket Tour 2004. They had a lot of fun. The stories I heard, the pictures they took. Just find a tour you like.

The JR Railways East has travel packages. Just find one you that you like.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Experience - January 2006 - click for pictures

Transportation Schedule
If you like to train/bus/shinkansen hop use Hyperdia. Input the name of the STATION you want to leave from and the STATION you want to arrive. Well you could put the city, but it will be the main city at least. (eg Tokyo -> Hiroshima) and you could change you preferences.

Hostels
I used Hostelworld.com. I met a lot of fun and nice people. I stayed at Kawaguchiko Station Inn and Palette Takashimadaira. Both really affordable.
Kawagichiko Station Inn is close to the Fuji-Q Highland. It is one station away from the Kawaguchiko Station.
Palette Takashimadaira is an awesome place to stay. It's like an apartment in the U.S. but smaller. If you forgot something on you trip like an iron or laundry detergent, they should have it just ask. There is a 24 hour bento place, supermarket, pachinko, izakayas, etc. It's a bit out of main Tokyo, so be careful. That's when Beginner Lesson #40 or Survival Phrases #5 comes in handy. :P

I can't wait to go again!!!

Thanks so much for the info.! I appreciate it!

Nicole

Return to “Visiting Japan”