Start Learning Japanese in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Create your own sentence using the Word of the Day!

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

community.japanese
Expert on Something

Re: Create your own sentence using the Word of the Day!

Postby community.japanese » April 4th, 2013 1:17 pm

> ashzehedgehog8725さん、
緑の鯨! :kokoro:
I wish I could see one too 8)
It could be one of those "you're lucky if you can see" things :mrgreen:

> remillardn7528-san,
I think I'll just say "well done; close to perfect", and my job here's done because eric-san gave you
already brilliant explanaions with perfect examples :mrgreen:

> エリックさん、
thank you very much for a perfect explanation to remillardn7528-san!! :D
As I wrote above, you're making my job a lot easier :mrgreen: Sweet :kokoro:
On a separate note, 北海道の人は話している時にあまり口を開けません ? :lol: Good one!!

> マイケルさん、
yes! Japanese dictionary is sorted by "pronunciation", or rather Japanese alphabetical order. English dictionaries
show classifies each alphabet as "section", right? But black-coloured bits you can see on the page rims (with dictionary closed) on Japanese dictionaries shows each "pronounciations with same consonant". So pages with black mark at
same hight have words which start with 5 pronunciations with same consonants.
I'm sure you've already seen this, but our aphabets are usually shown as a "chart" where virtical line makes
a group with same consonants and horisontal line shares the same vowel. Virtical line is 行 and horizontal is 段
and when we say か行 for instance, we mean かきくけこ; when we say あ段, we mean あかさたなはまやらわ :blob:
Japanese dictionaries are sorted as 行 order and some dictionaries might or might not have clear section for
い~お段.
(I'm sorry; I realised my English is not good enough to explain dictionary specifications....better look at actual
dictionary... :oops: :mrgreen: )

Japanese dictionary is of course meant for Japanese people, so some examples or quotes might be
something very cultural or historical, which majority of us are supposed to know.

"Word of the day" and time lag... 8) Good point.....
I can't know for sure, as I have no idea about technical issues (I'm Ston Age person, far away from high technology
knowledge and capability), but one possibility is that this forum is especially active with many participants and system
might not be able to catch up. Operation system might be taking time...or you're actually living in "your time zone" :mrgreen: Do you see the hours correctly with JST or adjusted to your country's standard time?
If there's a huge delay to get email alerts, please let us know. I'll anyway let our tech team know about your
post and wonderings.

mmmason8967 wrote:
Evertime I watch となりのトトロ, I call little girl Mei ちっちゃいなっちゃん("little Natsuko") :lol: And my mum agrees :lol:

The trouble is, I now have a mental picture of you as an older version of Mei. That is, taller. But otherwise exactly the same.  :lol:

Did you know that when Miyazaki wrote となりのトトロ there was only one little girl? Later he decided to have two girls, and gave them the "same" name: サツキ (Japanese 五月) and めい (English May). Some of the Japanese movie posters show the original one little girl:-

I might be just "bigger Mei" :lol:
I didn't know the original story had one only girl! :shock: Wow, and that's why "May" for both?? :lol:
Hope there's no "sad" or "scary" story behind that :lol: (Japanese love making stories saying "behind the scene")
Oh, by the way, I actually wanted to watch となりのトトロ when you first refered to it the other day and ended up
watching it online free movie ( :oops: :lol: )
And, I realised there are 2 specific words that めい said wrong: those two are difficult for kids to pronounciate and/or
remember, so of course it was intentional.
[wrong] おじゃまたくし ⇒ [right] おたまじゃくし (= tadpole)
[wrong] とうもころし ⇒ [right] とうもろこし (= corn)
Be careful not to remember the wrong ones :wink:

Natsuko(奈津子),
Team JapanesePod101.com

remillardn7528
Been Around a Bit

Postby remillardn7528 » April 4th, 2013 3:49 pm

seibishi ha haiken no dengenkyoukyuu to attaku de zombi
the machanic inspected the powersupply and was attacked by a zombie、
整備士は拝見の電源供給とアッタクでゾンビ。
I have the feeling I really messed this one up so please explan to me EVERYTHING and I mean everything or anything I've done wrong with this sentence, besides I wanted to try something a little more challenging which involved me using the dictionary alot so please use romaji to correct me (or use kanji and romaji to correct me.) Oh and another reason I did this sentence is because I just got done playing some resident evil 6 and I've got the undead on my mind :wink:

Join by May 6th
ericf
Expert on Something

Postby ericf » April 4th, 2013 5:11 pm

Okay, I'll have a go. I'll look at vocabulary and grammar separately.

Vocabulary:
You're right that 整備士 → mechanic and 拝見 → see/look but I don't think they're the words you want here. 整備士 doesn't seem to be a common word so メカニック might be better - hopefully someone that knows more than me will help here. 拝見 is a humble polite form of look and would be used by a clerk talking to a customer for example. You wouldn't really use such language to a machine, unless perhaps the machine has a streak of evil and you didn't want to upset it ;-) So, I think 検査する/kensasuru might be a better choice here.

Grammar:
拝見 is a noun, you'd want the verb 拝見する, conjugated correctly of course. In this case it's the time whilst inspecting so 拝見している時
You need to mark the object of the verb with を, so 電源供給を
と needs the verb directly in front of it, so 拝見すると, but verb+と can only be used where the result is a natural consequence of doing the verb, so I wouldn't use と at all.
アタック is also a noun in Japanese (yes, I know it's a verb in English) so again, アタックする
And the next bit's a little complicated. The engineer doesn't do the verb (he doesn't attack) he has the verb done to him, by the zombie. Study the 受身/ukemi form of a verb. For する it becomes される, and the agent is marked by に.
So putting that together...
整備士は、電源供給を拝見している時にゾンビにアタックされました。

And putting in the alternative vocabulary...
メカニックは、電源供給を検査している時にゾンビにアタックされました。

I'm sure it can be improved further.
エリック

remillardn7528
Been Around a Bit

Postby remillardn7528 » April 4th, 2013 10:33 pm

ooh sugoi! Definantly informative, appreciate it.

ericf
Expert on Something

Postby ericf » April 4th, 2013 10:38 pm

いいえ、どいたしまして。
エリック

ashzehedgehog8725
Been Around a Bit

Postby ashzehedgehog8725 » April 6th, 2013 2:02 am

おまえたちはせいびしが上手です。

you guys are good mechanics.

mmmason8967
Expert on Something

Postby mmmason8967 » April 6th, 2013 7:51 am

奈津子さん wrote:yes! Japanese dictionary is sorted by "pronunciation", or rather Japanese alphabetical order. English dictionaries show classifies each alphabet as "section", right? But black-coloured bits you can see on the page rims (with dictionary closed) on Japanese dictionaries shows each "pronounciations with same consonant". So pages with black mark at same hight have words which start with 5 pronunciations with same consonants.

Thanks, I understand now. I have the "Oxford Beginner's Japanese Dictionary" which has words in hiragana and is sorted in the order you explained.

I am slightly worried about understanding the definitions. I can imagine looking a word up and then finding three or four words in the definition that I don't know. So I look those words up, and find three or our more words that I don't know…

I could be trapped for days...   :shock:

"Word of the day" and time lag... 8) Good point.....
I can't know for sure, as I have no idea about technical issues (I'm Ston Age person, far away from high technology
knowledge and capability), but one possibility is that this forum is especially active with many participants and system
might not be able to catch up. Operation system might be taking time...or you're actually living in "your time zone" :mrgreen: Do you see the hours correctly with JST or adjusted to your country's standard time?
If there's a huge delay to get email alerts, please let us know. I'll anyway let our tech team know about your
post and wonderings.

Actually, I get my e-mail at just about the same time as the Word of the Day appears on Facebook and on the JPod101 Blog. It doesn't seem like there is a big delay.

I think that remillardn7528-san has a time machine, and so is able to travel forwards in time to check the Blog for the next Word of the Day before the rest of us see it.   :lol:

マイケル

community.japanese
Expert on Something

Postby community.japanese » April 6th, 2013 4:13 pm

> remillardn7528-san, エリックsan,
wow, エリックsan's explanation is always brilliant!! Thank you! :mrgreen:
I just want to point out one thing about "keigo". Since keigo always has to have the reason to use, which means
you have someone to pay respect to, I'm not too sure why you wanted to use 拝見する here in this sentence.
When you use 拝見する, it has to be the case where someone "sees/looks at" something of to-be-respected person.
In descriptive sentence like yours, you're not the person looking at something (= 整備士), so you don't have to use
keigo here basically. Using 検査 which eric-san suggested,
整備士は、電源を検査している時にゾンビにアタックされました。
This might be better. :wink: You can also use 点検している時 and アタックされました can also be 攻撃されました :flower:
Power supply can be 供給電源 or 電源 but 電源供給 focuses more on the part of 供給 (= to supply, rather than
noun "supply").
ゾンビにアタックされました・・・ :lol: :lol: :lol: Brilliant :mrgreen:

> ashzehedgehog8725-san,
Very close!! "Good mechanics" are いい整備士 :wink:
It must be a word from mechanics' boss, as "you" is translated as おまえたち :mrgreen:

> マイケルsan,

"I am slightly worried about understanding the definitions. I can imagine looking a word up and then finding three or four words in the definition that I don't know. So I look those words up, and find three or our more words that I don't know…
I could be trapped for days..."
:lol: I know what you mean! Don't worry, you have special help here :mrgreen:
Also, this is exactly why I believe and recommend "dictionary is for understanding and/or grasping the concept/ideas".
When you get many different words, you might get confused, but somehow all those should have similar connotations as basic meaning. If you have to look up one word, and get confused, please feel free to ask us! Hopefully with (example) sentence, which probably was the origin of your question. :D

If remillardn7528-san has a time machine, I'd love to borrow for some time... :mrgreen:

Natsuko(奈津子),
Team JapanesePod101.com

ashzehedgehog8725
Been Around a Bit

Postby ashzehedgehog8725 » April 6th, 2013 6:02 pm

natsuko-chan, i thought that omae-tachi was you in general lol

ie: arigato omae-tachi (for the lessons)

andycarmenjapanese8100
Expert on Something

Postby andycarmenjapanese8100 » April 6th, 2013 7:25 pm

I have a lot of catching up to do.

"Denchi no ookisa wa kako yori chiisai so desu. Watashi no hamusuta ga nusunde dashita desu."
Battery sizes seem smaller than in the past. My hamster stole one and ran out of the house with it.

"Okyaku-san wa kujoo o iemasu demo shacho wa kikimasen"
Customers can complain but the boss isn't listening. Should I have put "iu" in the ~te form here?

"Ano kyoju no musume wa ichiban seito da. Kanojo ga shiken ni mayakasu to omou."
That professor's daughter is the best student. I think she cheated on the test.

"Obaasan no handobaggu wa mecchakucha dekai! Naka de nan desu ka wakaranai! Kujira ga iru darou?!"
Grandma's handbag is insanely big! I don't know what is inside! Maybe a whale?!

"Watashi no keitaidenwa bango wa 0775 483 9123 desu. Rataiga no shashin ga okuranai de kudasai!"
My cell phone number is 0775 483 9123. Don't send me naked photos!

More later.
Last edited by andycarmenjapanese8100 on April 6th, 2013 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ashzehedgehog8725
Been Around a Bit

Postby ashzehedgehog8725 » April 6th, 2013 7:40 pm

^^ アンヂーちゃん、
おまえが面白いです。笑

mmmason8967
Expert on Something

Postby mmmason8967 » April 6th, 2013 8:47 pm

Today's Word of the Day is パジャマ (pajamas or, if you live in the UK, pyjamas).

このパジャマ箱心地があまり良くない、でも防弾だよ。

この パジャマ は きごこち が あまり よくない、でも ぼうだん だ よ。

kono pajama wa kigokochi ga amari yokunai, demo boudan da yo.

These pyjamas are not very comfortable, but they are bulletproof.

マイケル

community.japanese
Expert on Something

Postby community.japanese » April 7th, 2013 3:55 am

> ashzehedgehog8725-san,
Oh No; please be very careful with "omae" and "omaetachi".
These are very blunt ways to address "you". You could sound offensive, bossy, dominant, or otherwise stuck-up
(looking down on others).
If anyone says "omae" to me, I usually go 「お前」って、誰に口きいてるつもり!?
meaning "who do you think you're speaking to" or "who do you think you are?"
So, as a message to Andy-san, you really shouldn't use "omae".
=> アンディーさん、あなたは面白いです。
Please remember always that it's very important to be respectful and polite in Japanese culture
way much more than being naturally casual. :wink:

> Andy-san,
good catching ups!

"Denchi no ookisa wa kako yori chiisai so desu. Watashi no hamusuta ga nusunde dashita desu."
Battery sizes seem smaller than in the past. My hamster stole one and ran out of the house with it.
=> The second sentence would be better if you change it to "watashi no hamusutaa ga (hitotsu) nusunde nigemashita.
Very bad hamster! :lol:

"Okyaku-san wa kujoo o iemasu demo shacho wa kikimasen"
Customers can complain but the boss isn't listening. Should I have put "iu" in the ~te form here?
=> Your sentence is fine, but you have to stop the sentence at "iemasu" then start the second sentence.
You can also say "okyaku-san wa kujoo o itte imasu ga shachou wa kikimasen".

"Ano kyoju no musume wa ichiban seito da. Kanojo ga shiken ni mayakasu to omou."
That professor's daughter is the best student. I think she cheated on the test.
=> :lol: Well, we have special word for "cheating on the test": kan'ningu.
Ano kyouju no musume wa ichiban no seito da. Kanojo wa shiken de kan'ningu shiteiru to omou.

"Obaasan no handobaggu wa mecchakucha dekai! Naka de nan desu ka wakaranai! Kujira ga iru darou?!"
Grandma's handbag is insanely big! I don't know what is inside! Maybe a whale?!
=> :lol: Maybe it has to be the other way around; a whale should carry grandma :mrgreen:
Anyway, "obaasa no handobaggu wa mechakucha dekai! Nakani nani ga haitte irunoka wakaranai. Kujira demo iru no kana" :wink:

"Watashi no keitaidenwa bango wa 0775 483 9123 desu. Rataiga no shashin ga okuranai de kudasai!"
My cell phone number is 0775 483 9123. Don't send me naked photos!
=> :lol: :lol: :lol: Another good one!!!
The second sentence: hadaka no shashin (OR nuudo shashin) wa okuranai de kudasai! :wink:

> マイケルさん、
防弾パジャマ!? :shock:   :lol: :lol:
安心して眠れますね :mrgreen:
I know this is just a typo, but your PC changed kanji wrongly, which happens often and make sentences funny :lol:
このパジャマは、着心地があまりよくない。でも防弾だよ。
Where can we buy bulletproof pyjamas? :mrgreen:

Natsuko(奈津子),
Team JapanesePod101.com

ericf
Expert on Something

Postby ericf » April 7th, 2013 3:33 pm

パジャマ姿のバナナは、階段を下りてきている。
パジャマ姿のバナナは、二人で下りてきている。
パジャマ姿のバナナは、テディベアを追いかけている。
火曜日は、冥々のうち捕まえてみる。

mmmason8967
Expert on Something

Postby mmmason8967 » April 7th, 2013 4:37 pm

エリックさん
Being rather ancient, I've never heard of Bananas in Pyjamas. Imagine, then, my initial bewilderment. What would I do without Google?

Anyway, I have a couple of questions about the last line - 火曜日は、冥々のうち捕まえてみる。

Does 火曜日は mean 'On Tuesdays in general' rather than 'on one specific Tuesday'? Or does it mean either, depending on what follows?

Is verb-te-form みる the way that one says "to try to verb"?

、マイケル

Return to “Practice Japanese - 日本語を練習しましょう”