Start Learning Japanese in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Create your own sentence using the Word of the Day!

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

community.japanese
Expert on Something

Re: Create your own sentence using the Word of the Day!

Postby community.japanese » March 24th, 2013 1:06 pm

Nathan-san,
don't worry; it's normal that you feel this kind of sentence confusing.
In English, you express it as "it's windy", but in Japanese we express it as "wind is strong" to say the same thing.
(We don't have adjective "windy")
The reason you need to use "ga" is because "wind" is what's called "subject" here.

You did well with very difficult word!! :D
If you want to express "for us", instead of 私たちは, you can say 私たちにとって, or just omit that part.
(私たちにとって)輸出入はとても大切です。
Or, you can also use 私たちの国にとって which means "for our country" :wink:

Natsuko(奈津子),
Team JapanesePod101.com

andycarmenjapanese8100
Expert on Something

Postby andycarmenjapanese8100 » March 25th, 2013 3:11 am

"Watashi no shacho ni motto yushutsu suru yo ni meirei sareta."
I was ordered by my boss to increase exports.

"Kare no kurejitto kado wa dame deshita, sukkarakan deshita."
His credit card was no good, he was broke.

Get 40% OFF
kevenhuynh
Been Around a Bit

Postby kevenhuynh » March 25th, 2013 5:28 am

奈津子さん、
You finally spelled my name correctly!! ありがとっ!実は僕の名前の書き方は変ですよね~
As thank you for the explanation. It was very interesting and I would have guessed it. To be honest I still don't understand it very well. There is something about Noun+の+adjective that is throwing me off. Could you provide more common examples?
Thank you for your suggestion as well. Actually I am familiar with verb+ていく or verb+てくる, but I didn't think to use it in this case.
In the export sentence, maybe I should have said 1970年のスカイライン to make more sense for those not familiar with cars :lol: (実は僕はオートオタクなんですwwその理由でエンジニアになってきましたよ~)

Ok today's word is クレジットカード=Credit card
クレジットカードはさいふに入ってるのに誰かにテレビを買われました。。。
Even though my credit card is in my wallet, someone bought a tv with it... :(

community.japanese
Expert on Something

Postby community.japanese » March 25th, 2013 10:27 am

> Andy-san,
Perfect! :oiwai:
Funny one with credit card :lol:
We actually use "sukkarakan" to describe wallet/purse is empty, so it can be bank account. But probably credit card
cannot be described with that...so let's see...
Kare no kurejitto ka-do wa tsukaemasen deshita. Kare no ginkou kouza wa sukkarakan deshita.
How about this one? :wink:

> Kevenさん、
あはは、すみません~~ :oops: たまにケビンさんの名前を違うスペルで書いていたかもしれません。
Well, "nounのadjective" should be confusing; let's see... This actually works just like この, その and あの, so
just imagine noun part is こそあ in those words. Then you might understand why の can be used instead of が :flower:
Other examples are...:
空気のきれいな場所 (空気がきれいな場所)
緑の多い公園 (緑が多い公園) ⇒木や草が多い、という意味です :wink:
家賃の高い家 (家賃が高い家) :mrgreen:
カロリーの高い食事 (カロリーが高い食事)  :oops: :mrgreen: :kokoro:
So, in order to modify a noun with "something is adjective" pattern, you can use "noun no adjective" to make it
as modifying clause. Of course, you can use "ga" instead, but in a sentence, probably modifying clause sounds better
with "no" (it's simply because if you use "ga", it tends to sound like a "complete sentence" rather than a part of
sentence). This kind of usage (of "no") can be seen also in other types:
ここは、ペットの入れるお店です。 (ペットが入れるお店)
タバコの吸える場所は、あそこです。 (タバコが吸える場所)
小さい子供のいる家族は、先に搭乗手続きができます。 (小さい子供がいる家族)
事前に、試合の行われる会場を見ておきたい。 (試合が行われる会場)
All those sentences can be replaced with expressions in brackets (), and grammatically all are still corrct.
Impression might be a bit different, but basic meanings are quite same. It might also depends on personal preferance,
so you don't have to worry too much if you feel more comfortable using "ga". Important thing is that you can
understand correctly even when someone uses "no" :wink:
Hope this helps a bit.
Now, your credit card sentence is perfect!! But I just hope it's not a true story... 8)

Natsuko(奈津子),
Team JapanesePod101.com

andycarmenjapanese8100
Expert on Something

Postby andycarmenjapanese8100 » March 25th, 2013 4:04 pm

community.japanese wrote:> Andy-san,
Perfect! :oiwai:
Funny one with credit card :lol:
We actually use "sukkarakan" to describe wallet/purse is empty, so it can be bank account. But probably credit card
cannot be described with that...so let's see...
Kare no kurejitto ka-do wa tsukaemasen deshita. Kare no ginkou kouza wa sukkarakan deshita.
How about this one? :wink:

You're priceless, Natsuko-san. :)

"Ochita toki ni shujutsu o itta. Shiawase, kangoshi wa sugoi bijin datta!"
When I fell down I needed an operation. Fortunately, the nurse was very sexy!

kevenhuynh
Been Around a Bit

Postby kevenhuynh » March 26th, 2013 4:58 am

Andy,
Great sentence!!! Just a minor point, 幸せ(しあわせ)is more like happiness or happily so your second sentence is a little strange (I think). Maybe this is better: かんごふが美人だってよかった~(Thankful the nurse is beautiful) Note I change かんごしto かんごふ which I think is a more common word for female nurse. Also sexy is in katakana セクシー(な-adjective) :lol:

奈津子さん、
僕が知らない文法を教えてくれてありがとうございます!
なんとなくもう分かりました :)

手術 = operation
姉ちゃんは将来医者になれるようにいろんな動物に手術を練習します。
So that my sister can became a doctor in the future, she practice operating on various animals.

andycarmenjapanese8100
Expert on Something

Postby andycarmenjapanese8100 » March 26th, 2013 5:10 am

kevenhuynh wrote:Andy,
Great sentence!!! Just a minor point, 幸せ(しあわせ)is more like happiness or happily so your second sentence is a little strange (I think). Maybe this is better: かんごふが美人だってよかった~(Thankful the nurse is beautiful) Note I change かんごしto かんごふ which I think is a more common word for female nurse. Also sexy is in katakana セクシー(な-adjective) :lol:

In romaji, please?

mmmason8967
Expert on Something

Postby mmmason8967 » March 26th, 2013 8:20 am

andycarmenjapanese8100 wrote:In romaji, please?

Here it is:-

Great sentence!!! Just a minor point, shiowase is more like happiness or happily so your second sentence is a little strange (I think). Maybe this is better: kangofu ga hijin datte yokatta ~ (Thankful the nurse is beautiful) Note I change kangoshi to kangofu which I think is a more common word for female nurse. Also sexy is in katakana sekushi (na-adjective).

マイケル

community.japanese
Expert on Something

Postby community.japanese » March 26th, 2013 10:29 am

> Andy-san,
thank you for compliments :kokoro:

Another lovely sentence!! :mrgreen: :lol: Very well done!
Okay, it seems you've already got quite a good advice from マイケルsan, so I'll just suggest one complete sentence
(to say the same thing in a bit different way). Since "fell down" can be translated as several ways and simple "ochita"
would leave question "from where?", I'll use different verb here.
"koronde, shujutsu o shimashita. Saiwai, kangoshi wa sugoku sekushii de ureshikatta!"
= I had an operation as I'd fell down. Fortunately, nurse was very sexy and I was happy (about it)!
The word "saiwai" is often used literally as "fortunately", when something good happens in the middle of bad things.

Like マイケルsan suggested, nurse can be also "kangofu", but nowadays, I'd suggest "kangoshi". :wink:

> マイケルsan,
なんとなく分かってもらえてよかったです! :flower:
看護師は、女性にも使えますよ。Nowadays, just like English words, people tend to change profission nouns to nutral ones
intead of suggesting male or female (in English, you don't say "chairman" any longer, but more "chairperson", right? just like that). So you can use 看護師 for women nurses, as it's different from 看護士 :wink:

Your sentence is very well done! Just a little particle issue: いろんな動物で
Particles are really difficult when the sentence is complicated, isn't it? The key here is 練習します, actually.
It works as "[sister] practice [operation] WITH [animals]" (in Japanese).

So, ウェイターにナンパされたお姉さんは将来のお医者さんなんですね・・・ :mrgreen:

Natsuko(奈津子),
Team JapanesePod101.com

ashzehedgehog8725
Been Around a Bit

Postby ashzehedgehog8725 » March 26th, 2013 3:28 pm

手术世界を救うしよぜ!
Lets go on an operation to save the world.

remillardn7528
Been Around a Bit

Postby remillardn7528 » March 26th, 2013 4:42 pm

shujutsu ha koukateki!
the operation is successful!
手術は効果的!

I couldn't think of a sentence within my ability for creditcard though.

community.japanese
Expert on Something

Postby community.japanese » March 27th, 2013 11:24 am

> ashzehedgehog8725-san,
:lol: good one!
Unfortunately the word 手術 [shujutsu] means the medical operations in hospitals, so "operation" in
your sentence might be another kind (otherwise I'd imagine something very scary :lol: :mrgreen: )

> Nathan-san,
simple and correct! :D
Let's hope your sentence is actually "correct" in all the cases of 手術 :flower:

Natsuko(奈津子),
Team JapanesePod101.com

charliegchen8215
Been Around a Bit

Postby charliegchen8215 » March 27th, 2013 1:35 pm

私も参加してみようかな。

手術の痛みに耐えて、元の生活を取り戻してみせる!
Bearing the pain from the operation, I will get my life back to the way it is.

Hope I got that right.

ashzehedgehog8725, I think you meant 世界救済作戦を始めよう!作戦 means operation.

奈津子先生、ちょっと質問があります。「試合の行われる会場」の「行う」ってこの場合は受け身じゃなきゃダメですか?それともニュアンスが微妙に変わるだけですか?受け身がやっぱり苦手(汗。ご指導よろしくお願いいたします。

remillardn7528
Been Around a Bit

Postby remillardn7528 » March 27th, 2013 4:11 pm

I do not have the skill to begin making a sentence with this emberssingly enough, but! I would like ideas of what I could do along with grammer explanations please, I wish to understand everything I could possibly do with a word.

Natsuko how did you ever remember how to use all the words you learned in english into sentences? Any tricks of the trade you could share? That goes for everyone share your tips of how you learn to implement words into sentences because I have alot of trouble with that.

andycarmenjapanese8100
Expert on Something

Postby andycarmenjapanese8100 » March 27th, 2013 11:14 pm

community.japanese wrote:> Andy-san,
thank you for compliments :kokoro:

Another lovely sentence!! :mrgreen: :lol: Very well done!
Okay, it seems you've already got quite a good advice from マイケルsan, so I'll just suggest one complete sentence
(to say the same thing in a bit different way). Since "fell down" can be translated as several ways and simple "ochita"
would leave question "from where?", I'll use different verb here.
"koronde, shujutsu o shimashita. Saiwai, kangoshi wa sugoku sekushii de ureshikatta!"
= I had an operation as I'd fell down. Fortunately, nurse was very sexy and I was happy (about it)!
The word "saiwai" is often used literally as "fortunately", when something good happens in the middle of bad things.

Like マイケルsan suggested, nurse can be also "kangofu", but nowadays, I'd suggest "kangoshi". :wink:

This is very useful but I'm having some trouble with what you wrote. "Koronde" is in the ~te form, implying either a continuing action or that the word is linked to a following verb, however that isn't the case in your sentence. Literally translated it would be "falling down, I had an operation." Why not the past tense, as in, "korobimashita, shujutsu o shimashita"? Literally, "I fell down, I had an operation"?

Then, you followed "sekushii" with the particle "de". I'm only familiar with the particle "de" meaning "use" (like a tool, as in "eigo de onegai shimasu") or "at" (as in "eki de densha o norimashita"). When is it appropriate to use "de" after an adjective, as you did in your sentence?

Apologies for my never-ending confusion on particles. They're extremely difficult for me.

Also, can you (or someone else) explain the difference between "shiawase" and "shiawasete"? And how each of them are meant to be used in a sentence?

Today's Word Of The Day is the hardest so far, in my opinion. The example on the site is a little tricky too:

Kare wa kono ten ni tsuite no hantai iken o teian shimashita.

"Ten" here means "issue" or "point", right? That's the only word I didn't know.

Here's my attempt, it probably sounds very unnatural:

"Ashita wa, kanojo ga kekkon teikyo o teian shimasu."
Tomorrow she will propose an offer of marriage.

"Kekkon o teikyo shimasu" would probably be better, right? But I didn't know how else to fit "teian" into a sentence. :P
Last edited by andycarmenjapanese8100 on March 28th, 2013 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Practice Japanese - 日本語を練習しましょう”