Or sign up using Facebook

How do you study Japanese?

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

kevenhuynh
Been Around a Bit

How do you study Japanese?

Postby kevenhuynh » March 4th, 2013 1:42 am

Hello Everyone,

What is your method to studying Japanese? Everyone study different so I am curious to how others study. Please share with me your studying method and I will share mine.

I started studying Japanese my first 2 years in college, but stopped because I felt that higher level japanese classes were not longer fun. I decided to study aboard in Japan for a summer because I knew it was going to be fun, but fun is an understatement. It was an experience of a lifetime(一期一会 my favorite phrase). I made many Japanese friends and even a girlfriend and this forced me to learn Japanese. They were not able to speak English so I was continuously learning Japanese everyday. The most important thing I want to note is that I made TONS of mistakes back then and I still do today, but if I was too afraid of making mistakes then I would not have spoken Japanese so much. This would have results in a less than enjoyable experience aboard and my Japanese level would not be where it is now. SO MAKE MISTAKES PEOPLE!!!! As long as you are trying no one will laugh at you.

Learning Japanese through making friends was an effective method, but there are some pros and cons. The pro is that I was able to learn Japanese in a fun way, but the con is that it was not structural. Another con is that I learned casual Japanese and not formal which can also meaning I learned incorrect Japanese. Sure it is easy to learn the formal (です ます) speech, but it is difficult for me to speak formally without switching back to casual which is rude depending on who you talk to.

Now I am using this site to retain and build my Japanese level and usually practice with my Japanese coworkers from time to time (I work for a American/Japanese company).

Currently I find myself to busy to actually study something new. For those of you that have a busy schedule like myself, how do you squeeze in Japanese study time?

I am looking forward to hearing everyone's stories/methods. Also if you have any questions (related or unrelated to the topic) please feel free to ask. For example, "where did stay in Japan or how long" is ok!

community.japanese
Expert on Something

Re: How do you study Japanese?

Postby community.japanese » March 4th, 2013 12:59 pm

kevenhuynh-san,
just a quick note to thank you for sharing!

It's really nice to exchange information like that. Hope other listeners will join this thread :wink:

Natsuko(奈津子),
Team JapanesePod101.com

Get 40% OFF
mmmason8967
Expert on Something

Postby mmmason8967 » March 5th, 2013 8:17 am

One of my main study problems is my job. It's the kind that has bursts of intense activity, and during an active phase it's very difficult to do any studying. I seem to go three steps forwards and then two steps backwards. On the bright side, I suppose that in the end it still works out to be progress... :?

I think you're right about making mistakes. It seems to be much easier to understand a grammar point after I've tried to do it myself and got it wrong. The problem is, you need someone who speaks Japanese to practise on but I don't know any Japanese speakers at all, so I have to practise writing and reading. I've never actually spoken Japanese to anyone. :(

マイケル

community.japanese
Expert on Something

Postby community.japanese » March 5th, 2013 11:06 am

マイケルさん、
it's always difficult for busy people like you to find time for studying... :(
But if you're going forward even little by little, I think you're doing just brilliantly! :oiwai:
(I'm sure I'm taking 2 steps forward and 3 backwards... :lol: )

If you're very busy, it might not be useful, but there're some people looking for "study buddy on Skype"
to practice speaking. If you're interested, please look for such forum on our site!
Even if you can just practice writing, reading and listening, all those will help you when you actually speak.
So hang in there! :D

Oh, my little secret when I study foreign languages is to think out loud in those languages :lol:
It sounds like I'm a crazy person, but it works :mrgreen:

Natsuko(奈津子),
Team JapanesePod101.com

andycarmenjapanese8100
Expert on Something

Postby andycarmenjapanese8100 » March 5th, 2013 6:42 pm

I'm a terrible student. My brain isn't good at language aquisition. I feel like I've forgotten 99% of everything I've tried to learn. So I try to push myself extra hard to maximise the 1% I remember, spending as much time as possible with Japanese every day.

To improve as much as I want to, Japanese tends to dominate my life. I listen to an hour of J-Pod101 after I wake up which is great for grammar. Then I work on vocabulary by using Lingo Dingo on this site (verbs) and this site (phrases) and this site (objects, etc). I also have Anki flashcards, which I use to play soundbites of speech and then see if I understand them. I make a note of any words I don't understand and save them. I like to absorb myself in Japanese media too, I use Keyhole TV to watch streaming TV as it airs, along with any J-movies and music I'm in the mood for as the day progresses.

I've also developed a unique study technique to use alongside the traditional methods of mnemonics and memorisation... I always have a lot of clutter on my desktop - random video files, pictures, games and programs I've downloaded from the internet... so I rename them to the words that I'm trying to learn. It means that I can never find what I want, but the Japanese words are in my face 24/7. It's very effective. I'd also like to start putting stickers on everything in my room ("terebi" on the TV, "tsukue" on the desk, etc) but the mess would quickly get out of hand, so I don't.

The biggest problem for other language learners seems to be morale. They feel like quitting when they struggle to grasp a concept or feel like they're not making progress. It's the opposite for me, that frustration motivates me. Every time I get angry with Japanese, I throw myself into it with more determination the next day, knowing that I'm only going to get better and better as time goes on. Right now, I think I'm as immersed as its possible to be without actually moving there.

community.japanese
Expert on Something

Postby community.japanese » March 6th, 2013 3:15 pm

andycarmenjapanese8100-san,
wow, thank you very much for sharing the links! :D

As far as I'm concerned, traditional ways (in quite much any field and about anything) work well.
I think I should start putting stickers on things at home... :mrgreen:
(not Japanese, of course... :lol: )

Natsuko(奈津子),
Team JapanesePod101.com

kevenhuynh
Been Around a Bit

Postby kevenhuynh » March 9th, 2013 4:58 am

Thanks for the feedback!!! I enjoyed read them.

Mason,
I know exactly how you feel as I am in the same position as well. Speaking is a very big part of learning the language so I would recommend finding a skype buddy as Natsuko-san suggested. I would offer to be your study buddy, but current I have no time to skype let alone study Japanese. I can help with questions, but I am sure there are others on this site willing to skype will you. Good luck!

Andy,
Thanks for the links! I will look into them and try to incorporate them in my studies as well. As for your level dedication, it is admirable and I also feel the same. However, I've come to realize that learning a language is not something that happens over night. So rather than rushing through materials I take my time, however long it may take, and study the material until my brain finally gets it. Hence, the reason why I am still a beginner. But make no mistake I am an expert beginner :lol:

奈津子さん、
Thank you for commenting! It is very motivating for us Japanese learner to receive feedback from the staff as well as a native Japanese speaker. I definitely agree with your "not so secret anymore" technique :lol: However I don't think out loud so much as that may scare people around me. The ability to think directly in Japanese (not in English then convert to Japanese) has really helped me converse with Japanese people very naturally. However this is not the only factor to being able to conserve naturally. To be able to think in Japanese help with speaking speed, but to actually sound native it is important to understand the culture such as Japanese humor.

奈津子さん、you are able to speak two foreign language, English and Portuguese. How did you become fluent in these languages? Won't you share your stories with us? :mrgreen:

remillardn7528
Been Around a Bit

Postby remillardn7528 » March 9th, 2013 8:37 pm

Honestly I don't study as much as I should. :oops: :oops: :oops:
But what I do is write down important parts of the pdf like grammar point and the vocabulary in note books suited for each level and go over them. This way I feel as if I do get work done, also I use the flash cards on this site a lot but as for having a native speaker to speak with I feel as if I'm out of luck on that regard. I've also sent shout outs to skypers that I've been looking for study buddies to study with me and help me speak Japanese since I have no one around me to speak with.

community.japanese
Expert on Something

Postby community.japanese » March 10th, 2013 1:10 am

kevenhuynh-san,
thank you very much for a kind and lovely comment!! :kokoro:
I completely understand and agree with what you wrote: thinking directly in the foreign language definitely
helps in the many different ways. You'll understand how native speakers think (the way people
in that country/countries think), and understand how the language works.
That's something I enjoy a lot :D

How I became fluent in those languages....my "no-longer secret" way :lol:
I'm really a chatty person and love chatting with people, so this definitely helped me. Making friends and speaking
with them in those languages, watching TV programmes, think out loud :lol: or even without being loud, think in
those languages, writing memos, etc. The good thing about thinking in foreign language(s) is that you actually realise
"what" exactly you don't know and you want to know. For example, if I wanted to say "oh, I have to do my tax return!",
but if I didn't know the word "tax return", I'd check it on dictionary. I might not know the correct verb to use,
I might not know the expression at all.

I think there are several different approaches at different stages. In my case, as well as speaking practice from the
beginning, I definitely need to know grammar really well (like, we often call "stone grammar" :lol: ), if not, I can't
apply any expressions. As I learn, I want to understand how the language works, and start thinking (out loud, maybe?)
and using it whenever I can. Right now, I need to keep my knowledge and brush up if possible, so I watch a lot of
soap operas, dramas, sit-coms (my favourite), TV shows... :lol: And learn vocab and expressions!
If you can be a little bit more crazy, you can have imaginary world and make a scene :lol:

I'm quite much rubbish at other fields, and one of the worst is math. When I was in school and I had no idea what math
textbook was saying, instead of doing my homework (= solve those math problems), I wrote the question in English
and made it as my own study :lol: So, you see? It's really "anything" and "anytime" :mrgreen:

I've learned those two foreign languages at different age, so my practice was not exactly the same. Still, all those
"no-longer secret" way of being crazy person applies to both :lol:
Now I'm actually at super-beginner level of very new/different language. So I haven't forgotten the struggles of
real beginners :mrgreen: And, feedback, opinions, suggestions, etc. from language learners, like you, are
very helpful and interesting for me too! As JapanesePod101.com team, actual "voice" helps us improve
our lessons and website. Thank you very much indeed!! :D

Hope I didn't scare you by sharing my "eccentric" study approaches :lol:

Natsuko(奈津子),
Team JapanesePod101.com

community.japanese
Expert on Something

Postby community.japanese » March 10th, 2013 1:39 am

remillardn7528-san,
my previous comment became too long, so I post a separate comment :)

I think you're doing just fine!
You must be busy, and yet you find the time to do all those works with Lesson Notes and flash cards? That's brilliant! :D
I know it's difficult and it's a pity when you can't have chance to practice speaking Japanese. Hope you can find
someone on Skype! :wink: It seems there're many JPod listeners who want Skype study buddy. Any luck yet?
If there's anything we can help you with, please let us know! :flower:

Natsuko(奈津子),
Team JapanesePod101.com

remillardn7528
Been Around a Bit

Postby remillardn7528 » March 10th, 2013 6:43 pm

I found one fellow Japanese pod speaker named Irene to talk with.

community.japanese
Expert on Something

Postby community.japanese » March 11th, 2013 4:24 am

remillardn7528-san,
oh that's brilliant!! :D :oiwai:
Good luck on speaking practice, both of you! :wink:

Natsuko(奈津子),
Team JapanesePod101.com

chonnyfonny696924
Established Presence

Postby chonnyfonny696924 » March 12th, 2013 11:50 am

Ummm... Well where can i start

First thing.. I'm a TERRIBLE STUDENT!!! At the moment I'm not studying everyday like I should be.. I because of the stress from that I haven't been learning enoough japanese and I'm kinda stuck on where I should move next.. at the moment im just using flash cards and going through the lessons..
Lately I've been reading people's post on this forums and Trying to convert it into hiragana(sounds like I'm cheating yeah?) and then looking at it along with the english translation.
Speaking wise. I haven't had much speaking practice.. I've made a short introduction video and posted on youtube for a couple of native speakers to listen to and I got crushed..
Just have to keep going and tkae that onto the chin.

andycarmenjapanese8100
Expert on Something

Postby andycarmenjapanese8100 » March 13th, 2013 12:59 am

chonnyfonny696924 wrote:Ummm... Well where can i start

First thing.. I'm a TERRIBLE STUDENT!!! At the moment I'm not studying everyday like I should be.. I because of the stress from that I haven't been learning enoough japanese and I'm kinda stuck on where I should move next.. at the moment im just using flash cards and going through the lessons..
Lately I've been reading people's post on this forums and Trying to convert it into hiragana(sounds like I'm cheating yeah?) and then looking at it along with the english translation.
Speaking wise. I haven't had much speaking practice.. I've made a short introduction video and posted on youtube for a couple of native speakers to listen to and I got crushed..
Just have to keep going and tkae that onto the chin.

If you manage to study every day for a few weeks it'll become part of your routine and you'll feel guilty if you don't do it.

One thing I've learned is that the time is rarely perfect for studying. Ideally, I'd like some free time and a quiet place so I can do it properly but that's not always possible. So instead of waiting and trying to find that, I simply do imperfect studying as much as possible. For example, when I was walking home today I had my earphones on and was listening to J-Pod101 even though I was next to a noisy road and couldn't pick up every word. If I'm in the house and have other things to do, I'll have J-Pod101 on in the background as I'm doing them. When I'm sleepy and can't concentrate, I'll listen to it even if I feel like I can't process the information.

You'll be surprised how much you learn even when you feel like you're not taking anything in. The secret is to just keep doing it, over and over, until it sticks. Quality of study isn't everything, you can pick up a lot just through quantity.

community.japanese
Expert on Something

Postby community.japanese » March 13th, 2013 2:05 am

> chonnyfonny696924-san,
I know what you mean...but don't worry! As far as I'm concerned, you're doing the best you can do
and that's very important! Like andycarmenjapanese8100-san recommended, I think trying some when
you're not very much "ready" to study helps a lot.
Trying to write other people's posts in hiragana is a very unique technique and approach, but I really think
that's a brilliant idea!! :D Using any resource is never bad at all :wink:
You can also use us here; write something in Japanese even just a couple of sentences to practice, and
we can correct if there's mistake. Or, if you don't know some words, just ask :wink:
Just a little is always much much much better than nothing :kokoro:

> andycarmenjapanese8100-san,
wow, you're doing great! I think I should follow your example too :mrgreen:
I understand completely "I'd like some free time and a quiet place so I can do it properly", but it's quite
difficult isn't it? Instead, you're actively using your free time; that's brilliant attitude :flower:
Thank you very much for sharing it; I'm sure many colleagues will appreciate it! (and me, personally :mrgreen: )

Natsuko(奈津子),
Team JapanesePod101.com

Return to “Practice Japanese - 日本語を練習しましょう”