Start Learning Japanese in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Could someone check my letter for major mistakes?

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

Bissen
Been Around a Bit

Could someone check my letter for major mistakes?

Postby Bissen » March 15th, 2011 5:25 pm

Hi JPod'ers!

First off, ALL my compassion for those involved in the quake/tsunami/nuclear meltdown in one way or the other. It's horrible...
Because of all this happening to Japan, I'm in the middle of writing a letter for people I met there; some of which live in Tokyo.

If anyone could correct major mistakes (mainly those that are WRONG or misleading - I'm only human, and they know I'm not very good at Japanese; that I've only learned it on my own), so I'm sure they won't mind mistakes - in fact they may think it's a little funny ^^

Anyways, I'll give you the Japanese and the English translation. I practically know no kanji, so the letter will be all kana.

Japanese:
れいこさん、しんじさん、ひさしぶり!おげきですか?
reikosan, shinjisan, it's been a while. Are you okay?

さっきのじしんとつなみはたいへんですね!しんぱいです!きゅうしゅうはたいへんあことがあってないんでしょう?
It's horrible about the recent earthquake and tsunami! I'm worried! I guess nothing terrible has happened in Kyuushuu, right?

とうきょうにすんでいますのじゅんこさんはだいじょうぶかな?けがをしなかったらいい。。。
I wonder if Junkosan in Tokyo is alright. I hope she's not hurt.

わたしはまあまあ。いま、がっこうのせんせいのしごとをしています。おかねをためようとしているんですけど、いきなりうまのあしはわるくなったから じゅういのかんじょうしょうは はらいしなければならないですね。うまのなまえはビッセンといいます。ビッセンはよくないのでかなしいです。はやくよくなるのぞみます!
I am so-so. At the moment I work as a school teacher. I want to save up money, but my horse suddenly hurt its hooves, so I have to pay the veterinary bill. My horse's name is Bissen. I'm sad that she isn't feeling good. I hope she will get better soon.

おとうさんもあっまりよくありません。からだがよわくてちからがありません。おいしゃはりゆうがわからないーせつめいができません。かわいそうなビッセンとおとうさん。ふたりのことがしんぱいです!
My father isn't feeling very well either. His body is weak and he has no strength. The doctors don't understand it - they can't explain it. Poor Bissen and dad. I am worried about both of them (*I know horses probably aren't counted "hitori, futari" etc., but I think I'll do it anyways...)

まっ、しかたがない!まいにち、わたしはじぶんに "しっかりして、げんきだしてねとゆっています"。がんばりあす!
Well, there's nothing to do about it. I tell myself every day "hang in there, cheer up!". I'll do my best!

このてがみをいっしょうけんめいでかきました。たぶん、このなかでわからないことかちがうことがかかれていますは、すみません。ゆるしてください!
みんなさんによろしくおつたえください。いつもありがとうございます!
I wrote this letter with all I had. There are probably wrong things or things you don't understand in this (letter), I am sorry, please forgive me.
Say hi to everyone for me! Thank you for everything.

リッケより
From Rikke

Please tell me if there are major mistakes or something that doesn't make sense at all. I want myself to shine through the letter, and I believe I would with some mistakes, so I don't plan on taking all of them out. As long as it makes sense, I don't care much about the mistakes (although I'd still like to know them :P)

Thanks for all your help!

Javizy
Expert on Something

Re: Could someone check my letter for major mistakes?

Postby Javizy » March 15th, 2011 9:29 pm

Bissen wrote:Hi JPod'ers!

First off, ALL my compassion for those involved in the quake/tsunami/nuclear meltdown in one way or the other. It's horrible...
Because of all this happening to Japan, I'm in the middle of writing a letter for people I met there; some of which live in Tokyo.

If anyone could correct major mistakes (mainly those that are WRONG or misleading - I'm only human, and they know I'm not very good at Japanese; that I've only learned it on my own), so I'm sure they won't mind mistakes - in fact they may think it's a little funny ^^

Anyways, I'll give you the Japanese and the English translation. I practically know no kanji, so the letter will be all kana.

Japanese:
れいこさん、しんじさん、ひさしぶり!お元気ですか?
reikosan, shinjisan, it's been a while. Are you okay?

じしんとつなみのことはたいへんですね!しんぱいです!きゅうしゅうはたいへんことがなかったんでしょう?
It's horrible about the recent earthquake and tsunami! I'm worried! I guess nothing terrible has happened in Kyuushuu, right?

とうきょうにすんでいじゅんこさんはだいじょうぶかな?けがをしてないといいですね。。。
I wonder if Junkosan in Tokyo is alright. I hope she's not hurt.

わたしはまあまあ。いま、がっこうのせんせいのしごとをしています。おかねをためようとしているんですけど、いきなりうまのあしわるくなったから じゅういのかんじょうしょうはらなければならないですね。うまのなまえはビッセンといいます。ビッセンはよくないのでかなしいです。はやくよくなることをのぞみます!
I am so-so. At the moment I work as a school teacher. I want to save up money, but my horse suddenly hurt its hooves, so I have to pay the veterinary bill. My horse's name is Bissen. I'm sad that she isn't feeling good. I hope she will get better soon.

おとうさんもあまり元気ではありません。からだがよわくてちからがありません。お医者さんは理由がわからないーせつめいができません。かわいそうなビッセンとおとうさん。ふたりのことがしんぱいです!
My father isn't feeling very well either. His body is weak and he has no strength. The doctors don't understand it - they can't explain it. Poor Bissen and dad. I am worried about both of them (*I know horses probably aren't counted "hitori, futari" etc., but I think I'll do it anyways...)

まっ、しかたがない!まいにち、わたしはじぶんにしっかりして、げんきだしてねと言っています。がんばりす!
Well, there's nothing to do about it. I tell myself every day "hang in there, cheer up!". I'll do my best!

このてがみを一生懸命かきました。たぶん、このなかには、わからないことか、ちがうことがかかれています、すみません。ゆるしてください!
みんなさんによろしくおつたえください。いつもありがとうございます!
I wrote this letter with all I had. There are probably wrong things or things you don't understand in this (letter), I am sorry, please forgive me.
Say hi to everyone for me! Thank you for everything.

リッケより
From Rikke

Please tell me if there are major mistakes or something that doesn't make sense at all. I want myself to shine through the letter, and I believe I would with some mistakes, so I don't plan on taking all of them out. As long as it makes sense, I don't care much about the mistakes (although I'd still like to know them :P)

Thanks for all your help!

Seems understandable enough to me. I corrected a few things for you, but didn't want to take the personality out of it.

さっき means a little while ago, like half an hour or something, so I took that out. Using は is similar to 'the' in this case, since it assumes they know what you're talking about, so I don't think you need anything before じしん.
Last edited by Javizy on March 15th, 2011 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get 40% OFF
Bissen
Been Around a Bit

Postby Bissen » March 15th, 2011 9:31 pm

Thanks a lot! I don't read/write kanji though, so I'll have to look those up ;)

Javizy
Expert on Something

Postby Javizy » March 15th, 2011 9:33 pm

元気 げんき
医者 いしゃ
理由 りゆう
一生懸命 いっしょうけんめい

Bissen
Been Around a Bit

Postby Bissen » March 15th, 2011 9:35 pm

Ta! :wink:

Javizy