a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

incorrect hiragana and katakana

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

writer1133730
New in Town

incorrect hiragana and katakana

Postby writer1133730 » November 21st, 2010 4:02 am

I was doing the hiragana and katakana section where one types in the romaji for the sounds, and when I typed in chi, the program said incorrect, it was spelt TI and tsu is spelt TU. This is wrong. ta chi tsu te to

please correct this on this awesome site

Javizy
Expert on Something

Re: incorrect hiragana and katakana

Postby Javizy » November 21st, 2010 5:59 pm

writer1133730 wrote:I was doing the hiragana and katakana section where one types in the romaji for the sounds, and when I typed in chi, the program said incorrect, it was spelt TI and tsu is spelt TU. This is wrong. ta chi tsu te to

please correct this on this awesome site

It's wrong that it told you chi and tsu are incorrect, but ti and tu can also be acceptable in some instances, especially when typing using an IME. The questions were probably written by a Japanese person who types like that. It's much easier to type ti, tu, si etc than add an extra letter.

Get 40% OFF
Belton
Expert on Something

Postby Belton » November 21st, 2010 7:07 pm

There are several methods of romanising Japanese.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romanizati ... ihon-shiki
The Hepburn system is the most widely used outside Japan. (chi, tsu, shi)
The version in use on the katakana / hiragana section sounds like Kunrei-shiki, the official system in Japan. Which predates IMEs by the way, unless you count manual QWERTY typewriters. When I have had Japanese people write to me in romanised Japanese they have very different ideas about romanisation and word breaks.
If I have to romanise Japanese I prefer the simpler and more consistent ti, tu, si etc.
I suppose the important thing is to be consistent with how you romanise and use a system suitable to your audience.

But it ought to be trivial for a program to accept either version as being correct, and given that this is a site for JSL learners Hepburn ought to be included really.

Jessi
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Postby Jessi » November 22nd, 2010 12:15 am

Hi writer1133730,
Are you referring to this Kana Practice exercise?
http://www.japanesepod101.com/learningc ... a_practice

I just tried it and it had no problems with "chi" and "tsu", so I'm wondering - is anybody else running into the same problem? Or are you referring to something different?
Thank you!
♪ JapanesePod101.com ♪ 好評配信中!
Leave us a message in the forum if you have any comments, questions, or feedback!

brad12
Been Around a Bit

Postby brad12 » November 22nd, 2010 7:00 am

hi writer1133730 you can clear you query here. Which gives total information about hiragana and katakana.
Hiragana | Katakana

Return to “Practice Japanese - 日本語を練習しましょう”