Start Learning Japanese in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

A little bit of help please checking what I've written...

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

Lanthal
New in Town

A little bit of help please checking what I've written...

Postby Lanthal » October 28th, 2010 10:22 am

This is a short paragraph that I've written that I'd like checked for accuracy etc.

I've left a lot of Kanji out, I know, but I'm writing this at my current level of Kanji knowledge without relying on the word processor for help. I've written this as I would by hand, essentially. Let me know what needs fixing.

高校の後、大学で何をしたい分かりませんでした。友達はI.T.をしましたから、僕もI.T.を選びました。だいきらいだった。一年半後止めました。
その時、僕は作家になりたかったです。もちろん、その仕事は難しいです。だからほかの仕事をしながら、小せつを書いたかったです。
もう一度大学に入って、英語の文学と日本語も勉強しました。その時日本のアニメおたくだったから、日本語を選びました。日本語のじゅぎょうでいっぱい日本の文化と歴史を学びました。すごい面白かったです。もっともっと習いたかったから、りゅう学生としては、日本へ行きました。

I'm sure there are a lot of mistakes in there. Help me out please? Cheers guys!

Javizy
Expert on Something

Re: A little bit of help please checking what I've written..

Postby Javizy » October 28th, 2010 12:49 pm

I don't see any grammar problems except for a couple of は's. I'm sure there are more natural ways to express some of the things you've said, but the best way to find them out is by asking a native. Check out http://lang-8.com/ It's a site set up for exactly the reason you created this thread. Just post your journal, and Japanese people learning English will see it in the new entries list and give you some corrections.

I can tell you a couple of things.

僕は作家になりたかったです。もちろん、その仕事は難しいです。だからほかの仕事をしながら、小せつを書いたかったです。

I would use のです for the last sentence here, since you're giving an explanation. Japanese love to use the likes of のだ and わけだ to explicitly tell you they're explaining something, to the point that it can sound unnatural without them. のだ is used extremely frequently, so it's well worth reading up on it if you can.

すごい面白かったです。

すごい as an adverb is acceptable, but it sounds a bit too informal to go with です, so the standard adverbial form すごく would probably be better.

Get 40% OFF
Lanthal
New in Town

Postby Lanthal » October 28th, 2010 8:50 pm

Thanks for the pointers. They're both things that I already knew but I'm so rusty with my Japanese at the moment that it's taking a while to get back into the groove.

Very helpful, thanks. :)

Return to “Practice Japanese - 日本語を練習しましょう”