a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Grammar Question

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

Modoka
New in Town

Grammar Question

Postby Modoka » September 6th, 2008 8:29 pm

I have a question. I noticed that the symbol for the wa in “Watashi” is different from the wa when it’s by itself. And the symbol for wa by itself it also the symbol for ha. Can anyone tell me what’s up with that?

Psy
Expert on Something

Postby Psy » September 6th, 2008 9:15 pm

Common question. "wa" in the grammatical sense is always written "ha." "e" in the grammatical sense is always written "he." "o" in the grammatical sense is always written "wo." As for why-- I've asked many and have never been given a clear explanation. It's just the way it goes.
High time to finish what I've started. || Anki vocabulary drive: 5,000/10k. Restart coming soon. || Dig my Road to Katakana tutorial on the App store.

Join by May 6th
Modoka
New in Town

Postby Modoka » September 6th, 2008 9:46 pm

Do u know what u would use when using "ga"?

And what other grammar words stuff do u know that is written differently?

QuackingShoe
Expert on Something

Postby QuackingShoe » September 6th, 2008 11:47 pm

Those are the only exceptions, and the reason is that it's a simple relic from previous Japanese writing and pronunciation standards (and a result of language drift). Many of the kana were different or had multiple pronunciations in the past, etc. You can see some of the specifics at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historical_kana_usage if you're interested.

Oh, SORTOF an exception is the whole じ/ぢ,ず/づ thing. It's honestly pretty straightforward, but check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiragana

Let's all just be glad for those exceptions. If they were written わ、お、え、 Japanese would be a much uglier looking language :o

markystar
Site Admin

Postby markystar » September 7th, 2008 10:03 am

Let's all just be glad for those exceptions. If they were written わ、お、え、 Japanese would be a much uglier looking language

hahahahaha. you're totally right.

as for the question about the particles, when you're new to the language these 3 exceptions seem kind of perplexing, especially when you know your looking up (at least) a 2000 kanji mountain. but in no time you'll adjust. getting used to this won't take much effort.

and you'll be surprised how few exceptions to the rules there are in japanese!

ganbatte kudasaaaaaaaaaaaaaai!
ねぇ、ねぇ、私前にバンドキャンプでさ…

Return to “Practice Japanese - 日本語を練習しましょう”