a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Scroll

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

anakinjay
New in Town

Scroll

Postby anakinjay » June 7th, 2008 4:31 pm

Hey, I just bought these on ebay, and am no where near good enough yet to read them :P I thought maybe you guys would enjoy helping me translate it :)

Anyone know what they say?

http://i13.ebayimg.com/03/i/000/f1/b1/d0a7_1.JPG

http://imagehost.vendio.com/a/12332547/ ... 682406.jpg

Psy
Expert on Something

Postby Psy » June 8th, 2008 12:23 am

Well the first one is done in the grasshand style and appears to be entirely comprised of kanji, meaning it is likely either Chinese or archaic Japanese. Given the cursive style, it's unlikely anyone but a native who has studied calligraphy to some extent will be able to help you much with it. For what it's worth, in the middle of the right-most column appears to me like "我去," which is Mandarin for "I go." The rest is all graceful squigglies.

As for the 2nd image, the right-side character is quite obviously 気 (spirit, mind, among other meanings), however the left one appears quite fragmented, and I cannot think of anything that has a reasonable likeness to it that would make sense paired with 気.

Sorry I can't be of more help, maybe some of the nice Japanese folks around here will be able to explain more.
High time to finish what I've started. || Anki vocabulary drive: 5,000/10k. Restart coming soon. || Dig my Road to Katakana tutorial on the App store.

Join by May 6th
Sean
Been Around a Bit

Postby Sean » June 8th, 2008 6:40 pm

For the second, could it be 勇気 ('yuuki', bravery)? That's what I got from it. You have the four boxes which look like the four sections of 田, the 勹 and 力 parts look a bit odd but you can make out their shape.

Return to “Practice Japanese - 日本語を練習しましょう”