a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Japanese CM

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

Psy
Expert on Something

Japanese CM

Postby Psy » January 17th, 2008 2:40 am

Forgive me for the English, but as this is Japanese practice area I thought it the best place to post.

There are a ton of Japanese commercials (CM as they're known) available freely for the watching on the internet-- an absolute ton. Most of the language, though rapid-fire, is common and fairly short. For round one, I've chosen the Japanese version of the somewhat famous Apple "Mac-vs-PC" ads. I've already made a complete transcription of the audio, but before I post it, I want you guys to listen and try to answer the following:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzF1MCgRBSM

Bits-and-pieces (beginners):
  • イ - What are the first two lines of the commercial?
  • ロ - What does パソコン say to マック in the 3rd line?

Fifty-fifty (sufficient):
  • イ - Why does マック suggest the name ワーク? (include your transcription if you can)

The Majority (proficient):
  • イ - Why does パソコン say なるほど? (include a transcription)

Just an idea for practice. If you guys like it, once we're done with this one, one of us should find another commercial to work on.
High time to finish what I've started. || Anki vocabulary drive: 5,000/10k. Restart coming soon. || Dig my Road to Katakana tutorial on the App store.

maxiewawa
Expert on Something

Postby maxiewawa » January 17th, 2008 3:08 am

I've got my answers, what should we do? Post them here? I don't want to ruin it. That, and I'm not sure they're right :oops: :oops:

I think this is a great idea. I've always been interested in Japanese media, and ads are short and sweet.

Get 40% OFF
Psy
Expert on Something

Postby Psy » January 17th, 2008 4:05 am

Sure, post away! :D Don't worry about spoiling it, I just didn't want people to get the dialogue in writing from the first post before they even tried listening. The more discussion, the better, right?

Don't worry about making mistakes either-- It's part of the process of learning, and I think it's better to make mistakes and be corrected rather than to get it perfectly without having first challenged yourself.
High time to finish what I've started. || Anki vocabulary drive: 5,000/10k. Restart coming soon. || Dig my Road to Katakana tutorial on the App store.

maxiewawa
Expert on Something

Postby maxiewawa » January 17th, 2008 6:48 am

Here goes!

はじめまして、パソコンです。

はじめまして、PCです。

あなたもパソコンですよね。

でも皆はマックと呼ぶんだよね。

何かあなたが特別ですか?友達見たいで。

皆家で僕をプライベートで??やすいのかな。

なるほど。私は***関係ばかりですから。。。何か特別の読みが欲しいです。仕事の使いがメインなら、ワークってはどうかな?

マックとワーク。マック!

As you can see, there are some parts I didn't get... but I think I can guess what's being said from context. Some parts I didn't catch either, but made guesses. :D

This is a good learning method!

Psy
Expert on Something

Postby Psy » January 17th, 2008 7:55 am

Really good job! You surely got the gist of the commercial. Only a few points to address:

はじめまして、パソコンです。
はじめましてパソコンです。

はじめまして、PCです。
はじめましてマックです。

あなたもパソコンですよね。
え? あなたもパソコンですよね。

でも皆マック呼ぶんだよね。
でもみんなマックって呼ぶんだよね。
(it is hard for me to tell if he says は here or not, but since マック speaks casually I'd lean towards not.)

何かあなた特別***ですか?友達見たいで。
なにかあなただけ特別じゃないですか? 友達みたいで・・・

皆家で僕をプライベートで??やすいのかな。
みんな家で僕をプライベートに使うから、親しみやすいのかな・・・

なるほど。
なろほど・・・

私は***関係ばかりですから。。。何か特別の読みが欲しいです。
私はビジネスライクな関係ばかりですから・・・ 何か特別な呼び名が欲しいです。

仕事***使いがメインなら、ワークって***はどうかな?
仕事付き合いがメインなら・・・ワークっていうのはどうかな?

マックとワーク。マック!
マックとワーク・・・マック!

Have another listen and you'll surely hear it now! Note that my transcription may not be completely correct, but I am confident to say that it is close enough for the purpose.

Any takers for choosing the next CM?

kc8ufv
Expert on Something

Postby kc8ufv » January 17th, 2008 4:06 pm

I'll try the next one. Same series. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-3MtYn9 ... re=related

マーク is a quick talker, and trickier for me to understand. パソコン is a bit easier. I couldn't get the whole last line, after マーク says IT. I tried for about 15 minutes. It was just too quick for my ear.

どぅもマークです。

こんにちはパソコンです。

さいきいんざいるよきょずとよあるよね。

二人ともMicrosoft Officeかいるしね。

かいるもきょゆできて。かなりながしたっ・・・

あれ、パソコン?

こんにちはパソコンです。

それもーはだけど。

すみません。さいきどしなけいなかろで、あるでしょ

どぅかな。マークのOSXとゆソフットヲーあんてすごくアンティビルスかな。

じゃ、あなたはさいきどしなくてもいっ・・・

kc8ufv
Expert on Something

Postby kc8ufv » January 17th, 2008 5:07 pm

Here's another. Same series, a lot easier.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uNbbcx9PMU&NR=1

どぅもマークです。

こんにちはパソコンです。

あれ
君達マークとしれいなたんですか

しらなかた。マークでもマイカラMicrosoft Officeつかいあるんだいよ

そーだたんですか

じゃ、仕事、仕事。

・・・
おーら、仕事

ざんぎよ、ざんぎゆ、あそれ

maxiewawa
Expert on Something

Postby maxiewawa » January 18th, 2008 1:01 am

If I'm not mistaken:

どうもマックです.

今日は、パソコンです。

Microsoft Officeです。

あれ?君たち、マックと知り合いだったんですか。

お。知らなかった?マックでも、前からMSOffice使えるんだよ。

そうだったんですか。じゃ、仕事を、仕事。。。あら!仕事!残業!残業!<--- That last part is just a guess!

Hi...

Hi... (We all know this part)

We're Microsoft Office.

Eh? You guys know Mac?

Oh... didn't you know? You could always use MSOffice with Mac. <--- You could use MSOffice with Mac from before.

Oh really. Well, let's get back to work! Work! Eh? WORK! WORK! WORK!

Psy
Expert on Something

Postby Psy » January 18th, 2008 1:04 am

I respect the effort, but there are a lot of mistakes in both your spelling of correct words and in your correct hearing of words. The actual dialogues are closer to this:

どうも、マックです。
こんにちは、パソコンです。
最近じゃ色々共通点あるよね
二人とも Microsoft Office使えるしね
ファイルも共有できて、かなり仲良しだ・・・。
あれ? パソコン?
うわぁ、こんにちは、パソコンです。
それ、もう終わったけど・・・
すいません、再起動しなきゃいけなかったので・・・ あるでしょう?
は・・どうかな・・・
マックのOS 10っていうソフトがすごく安定しているから
えっ?じゃ、あなたは再起動しなくてもいい・・・
ITの人呼んでくるから
彼のことを見ててくれるかな (maybe から?)

どうも、マックです。
こんにちは、パソコンです。
Microsoft Officeです。
あれ? 君たちマックと知り合いだったんですか?
あ、知らなかった? マックでも前からMicrosoft Office使えるんだよ。
そうだったんですか・・・ じゃ、仕事、仕事。ほら! 仕事! 残業、残業、あそれ・・・

*added*
Well done again, maxiewawa. :D

maxiewawa
Expert on Something

Postby maxiewawa » January 18th, 2008 1:05 am

KC8UFVさん, I tried the other one but it's really fast isn't it!

kc8ufv
Expert on Something

Postby kc8ufv » January 18th, 2008 5:36 am

maxiewawa wrote:KC8UFVさん, I tried the other one but it's really fast isn't it!

That's what I thought. I couldn't get much more of what Mac said in that last line than IT. From that duo, I'm used to the comedian playing f」cby being the comedian I can't understand.

EDIT: I hate it when my IME gets stuck in the wrong mode. I'll let you guess who f」cby is, and how I type Japanese.

Psy
Expert on Something

Postby Psy » January 18th, 2008 6:27 am

That would be kana-input mode. I've got a love-hate relationship with it. I learned it some time ago but never really got it up to speed, partially owing to the fact that I don't own a Japanese keyboard. While with enough practice it is ultimately better, it's also really frustrating at first to adjust to a new keyboard layout. Good on you for sticking with it.

Anyway, next commercial, anyone?

maxiewawa
Expert on Something

Postby maxiewawa » January 18th, 2008 7:48 am

Nice one Psy!! How about something from Heroes???

Psy
Expert on Something

Postby Psy » January 19th, 2008 2:40 am

maxiewawa wrote:Nice one Psy!! How about something from Heroes???

NBC is a bit... fussy over having clips available, but I was able to find this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raQ1zpc8 ... re=related

There's something for everyone in here so all should listen. At over 3 minutes we're starting to lose the comfortable brevity of the commercials, but since translations are already provided and there are silences, it should be alright. Note that Ando speaks with a noticeable Korean accent. Also, according to a friend of mine (though I can't hear it myself), George Takei's (父さん) Japanese carries pacing/accent quirks as well... guess that'll just happen to naturalized US-citizens who can speak English. For the sister I don't know-- it sounds natural enough to me at any rate.

Good luck!

Psy
Expert on Something

Postby Psy » February 5th, 2008 3:59 am

I did eventually, after seeking the help of a native speaker, figure out the majority of what was said in the above clip. However, it's been stated again and again that the Japanese used here is often clunky in both intonation and pronunciation. (when a native speaker has difficulty in hearing some of the lines, you know there's a problem.) While indeed the language used in the clip can be understood and is grammatically stable, it not ideal for study purposes. Furthermore, the length/complexity of the clip has obviously stayed people from contributing to the thread, so I have elected to abandon it in lieu of something short and simple. For anyone who needs help with the Heroes clip, feel free to post here or PM me, but for now I will not post anything more on it.

For the next clip, a movie I heard about on the シネマPeople podcast (thanks for turning me to iTunes, J... I always forget how to spell your username, but you know who you are) titled 私の頭の中の消しゴム, which is a Korean import and looks to be the rather stereotypical love drama. Still, The Japanese is extremely clear, evenly paced, and short. It should be a departure from the last one we did:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sslHguoOwPM

Since I've got a passing interest in Korean (I can read Han'geul), brownie points to anyone who can tell me (and perhaps explain) the spoken lines. Here's lookin' at you, maxiewawa. :D

お楽しみ下さい!

Return to “Practice Japanese - 日本語を練習しましょう”