Or sign up using Facebook

きょうが わたしは くたくたです。

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

sarahg
Been Around a Bit

きょうが わたしは くたくたです。

Postby sarahg » March 29th, 2007 12:21 pm

でも、日本語は れんしゅう あります。 

I picked up some 「あいさつ ことば」 greeting word flashcards from an online Japanese store recently and I haven't found definitions for all the words yet :)

First up, are there any recommended Japanese-English dictionaries? I have a pocket dictionary but it's missing so much! Are the electronic ones any good?

かしてね has a person picking up a hat from another person. I'm guessing that's "lend" not "see"? Is it something you'd say when borrowing something?

はみがき has a picture of someone brushing their teeth. Does it literally mean brushing teeth?

うがい と てあらい I was able to find in the dictionary. Plus there are plenty of favorites that I know from here like いただきます!

There's a child giving another a paper plane with two words below it: あげる (ありがとう) I know ありがとう but not あげる。

Thanks for your help!
ありがとうございます。
-- セイラ
Sarah

JockZon
Expert on Something

Postby JockZon » March 29th, 2007 3:50 pm

かしてね has a person picking up a hat from another person. I'm guessing that's "lend" not "see"? Is it something you'd say when borrowing something?

You are correct here. I could be wrong but I guess it's short for 貸してくださいね (かして)which means "please, lend me"

はみがき has a picture of someone brushing their teeth. Does it literally mean brushing teeth?

歯(は) means tooth and 磨く(みが) to polish. みがき is the masu-stem as far as I know but I don't really know what it literaly means when the masu-stem acts as a stand-alone word.

There's a child giving another a paper plane with two words below it: あげる (ありがとう) I know ありがとう but not あげる。

あげる means "to give" where you act as a giver. It is also used as an auxillary verb when you do something for someone (There are plenty of Jpod lessons about this). In this case the text means like "To give (Thanks)"

What うがい と てあらい means I have no clue... Could you please share this with us?
Yoroshiku 8)

Get 40% OFF
sarahg
Been Around a Bit

Postby sarahg » March 29th, 2007 9:52 pm

JockZon:

> What うがい と てあらい means I have no clue... Could you please share this with us?

うがい is, according to a Japanese dictionary, "(n,vs,uk) gargle; rinse mouth (P)." This is consistent with the picture on the card which is someone holding a glass of water.

てあらい - "(n) restroom; lavatory; hand-washing; (P)". This is the one with the picture of someone washing their hands.
-- セイラ
Sarah

Belton
Expert on Something

Postby Belton » March 29th, 2007 10:16 pm

JockZon wrote: I could be wrong but I guess it's short for 貸してくださいね (かして)which means "please, lend me"

Yeah, it's a shortening of 〜てください construction. the ね softens the request. As such it's casual I'd say. The ね is important when you truncate it, I don't think it'd sound right without it. (or な in male speech, I suppose)

JockZon wrote:みがき is the masu-stem as far as I know but I don't really know what it literaly means when the masu-stem acts as a stand-alone word.

Its used as a noun. brushing (or the act of brushing one's teeth.)

JockZon wrote:What うがい と てあらい means I have no clue...

continuing the cleaning theme. gargling and handwashing

おてあらい is Restroom, while maybe not the main reason you'd ask for one, you'd hope some handwashing would take place.

As for dictionaries.

An electronic online one would be as good as a pocket dictionary, it'd certainly have more entries. The main problem with electronic dictionaries is getting usage advice. I think a good printed learners dictionary might be better. (Maybe not an issue with J->E)
I'd recommend starting off with an online one if connectivity or portability isn't an issue.
This one is quite nicely made
http://www.jisho.org/

After that, well there are some threads about dictionaries here if you do a search.
Or for what I think about dictionaries
http://www.shiawase.co.uk/reading/jisyo.html

(Also in the title of the post I'd put it as
きょうはくたくたです。
today I'm worn out. the subject わたしが is understood. )

sarahg
Been Around a Bit

ありがとう

Postby sarahg » March 30th, 2007 5:41 am

Thanks for the advice. I'm just glad the title was communicated successfully :)
-- セイラ
Sarah

Garyuchin
Been Around a Bit

Online Dictionary

Postby Garyuchin » March 31st, 2007 5:14 pm

Jim Breen's WWWJdic (Monash University site) is an excellent resource, having links through a variety of third party front ends. I tend to use Jeffrey's J/E Dictionary because it is more user friendly than the direct connection. However, additional features (such as verb conjugation builder) and an improving user interface make the WWWJdic worth using.

wwwjdic
http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/wwwjdic.html

jeffreys
http://dict.regex.info/cgi-bin/j-e/inline/dict?

Return to “Practice Japanese - 日本語を練習しましょう”